Season 9 - Skin Thread

242h5k4.png
This Thread can be used to maybe present skins for the new season or get help to create one.

Custom skins are not mandatory in this league so noone is expected to create a skin, however they are more than welcome. :)

Since Ive read quite often in the forum that some wish to have a skin but dont know how to create one, I thought it would maybe be a useful thing to have a tutorial on how to create a skin with the freeware Paint.NET and without having any knowledge about skinning.

Im not the most experienced skinner myself but it should help to create a working skin of good quality without spending too much time.
This doesnt include any paint techniques but Paint.NET is quite handy so with a bit of practise that shouldnt be too hard. :)

Note: The Renault templates are missing and the Ferrari templates are incorrect so I didnt include them, if anyone knows correct templates of both cars post a link.

Skin Tutorial

1. Prepare
  • move AlphaMask.dll into "...\Paint.NET\Effects" and PhotoShop.dll
    into "...\Paint.NET\Filetypes"
2. Paint.NET
  • choose the folder of the car you want to use
    (I recommend deleting all other carfolders to have a better overview)
  • open the psd file you want to paint first
  • double click the "LIGHTING" layer and make sure it says "multiply"
  • click on layer "PAINT HERE" and paint your car
  • turn "optional" layers on or off
  • save psd file when finished with the design
  • select menu Image and Flatten
aoook8.jpg

• (this step only if the .psd file you're editing has "SWITCH" in its name)
    select menu Layers and Flip Horizontal
  • select menu Effects, Alpha Mask, Browse and choose one of the alpha .jpg files in the folder with the .psd files
  • options Invert Alpha ON, Mix Alpha OFF, Paste to Clipboard OFF and click OK
    (image is hardly or not visible anymore, thats normal)
  • choose Save As > File Type "dds" > double click "SKINFOLDER ..." , keep the filename (e.g. rightSWITCH.psd must have the name rightSWITCH.dds)
    and save
  • choose the same Save Configurations as in the picture below and click OK
  • exit and do the same steps with the other psd files in the folder
fbhtz5.jpg

3. INI File
  • open the file "skindata.ini" with the texteditor
  • enter teamname inside the brakets in the first line
  • enter name inside the brakets in the second line
  • choose T-Cam colour: Leave it as it is for red or change in
    the line "cam=..." the word "red" to "yellow"
  • save and close the editor
  • rename the folder "SKINFOLDER ..." into for example your name
  • move the renamed folder to:
    "C:\...\Documents\SimBin\RACE 07\CustomSkins"
have fun with your skin

nice thread:thumbsup: im a total noob when comes to making skins and would like nothing more than to have the new ferrari skin so looks like iv got some good reading ahead of me lol
Should something be unclear please ask, Its very hard to find out by myself if everything is written clearly, so its possible that you might have a problem at one point.

EDIT:
By the way apparantly there are existing templates for the ferrari but Ive tested them and they were completely wrong, so in this tutorial the ferrari is not included untill I have a source for working templates (if there even are some)

You can always makeyour own template. Use a skin that has good background coloring,( ie everything else but the car is single color, different parts nicely separate...) use that as a cutting mask to cut all parts off to their own layer. In every case, wheter youy have a template or not, you still have to test the little pieces where they belong, the numbering present in the MMG templates are for dev use..

The templates are all very logical and in the same scale (unlike some of the SimBin car templates....) so preparing your own should take now more than 15 minutes.

You can always makeyour own template. Use a skin that has good background coloring,( ie everything else but the car is single color, different parts nicely separate...) use that as a cutting mask to cut all parts off to their own layer. In every case, wheter youy have a template or not, you still have to test the little pieces where they belong, the numbering present in the MMG templates are for dev use..

The templates are all very logical and in the same scale (unlike some of the SimBin car templates....) so preparing your own should take now more than 15 minutes.

Hm thats right that should work, ill update the tutorial with all skins when I have some time then

im not partecipating, but if somebody needs a skin pls send me a PM :) ill be happy to help out :)

http://ehdesigns.jimdo.com/gallery/
Our champion Reik needs a 4th crest on his skin for this season, is this something you could help us with Erik? It is perhaps a bit boring assignment, but it will be greatly apprechiated! (or are somebody already "on that case"?)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%