SEASON 9 RACE 8 WATKINS GLEN INCIDENT REPORT

ts 182 : Me & Vincenzo.
At the braking of T9 I was on the inside with Vincenzo ahead in the middle of the track, and Tim then Valter at the outside who had had contact a few instant before, according to my replay. Vincenzo swerved on the inside braking hard, and it seemed my nose touched the back of Vincenzo car. I felt nothing nor heard the contact, but since I saw him spinning in front of me I slowed down and put myself outside the turn, unfortunately blocking Valerio in the process. I checked my mirrors to search for him but I didn't saw him so I resumed racing.

It seems I'm faulty there.:( Sorry for that m8

I had an incident with Valerio on Lap 4.:(

Valerio was 'under pressure' from Anthony whom I was chasing. Anthony made the move on Vale going into turn 1; as the gentleman racer he is, Vale allowed the pass by slowing and avoiding the apex. I tried to take advantage and we made contact on the apex.

I am very sorry Valerio. It was too opportunistic of me; and I did not wait for you afterward due to Nico's very close proximity behind me. Double the shame for me. :(

r: lap 15: Was going into the very fast right hander after the long straight with Tim behind me. His frontwing was on the level of my right rear-tire. I never expected him to go into that corner full force there as I never do that on that corner when I haven't fully passed before that dangerous corner.
When I felt I was still fully in front I mostly took my usual line there, to not go straight or having to massively slow down to take that corner.

Result was a couple of flips in the air and a landing behind the barricade.
Looking at the replay I should have left more room to the inside to avoid the carnage, but on the other hand I would have never tried to go full force into it when I'm still clearly fully behind someone, even moreso when knowing this spot from other races on this track and how dangerous it is in general.

If I go so wide there that I can somehow take that corner, it is also a guaranteed pass btw.
Not that I have a problem with getting passed, but I hope you guys understand what I mean^^

TS ~ 1190:
I'm under pressure by David through the very fast right hander, so I decide to defend on the inside for the next slow left hander. I brake a little bit too late and over shoot the corner. Still hard on the brakes and turning in I loose the rear a little bit, so my nose starts heading to the inside. David has already taken advantage of that and is going through on the inside. I smash the brakes hard to stop the nose turning to the inside but it's too late. So David hits my nose and sends me back to the outside into the wall. I received some minor suspension damage.

I'm very, very happy that David went on unharmed. Sorry fort that big moment David! It was a poor driving mistake by me...

I had a touch with Marko on lap 1, left hander after the fast right, I think I'm a fault for going for the inside and not managing to keep it tight to the apex:thumbsdown: we rubbed wheels a bit, as we exit I'm infront and a can see in my mirror Marko is there and appears to be ok so we carry on

I've not looked at the replay yet, but Marko said he was un-harmed so luck was on our side on this occasion

Other than that nothing else to report

Jim

Time: 152.60
What: On lap 1, I had just managed to overtake Jim at T5, but he was still really close when braking for T6. I left room on the inside of me, but Jim had just a little bit too much speed and there was a slight touch. Neither one of us did even spin, so this was not really big deal. Racing is sometimes tough. I would call this a minor racing incident.

Time: 277.44
What: I made a mistake at the last corner, and got really bad exit to the start/finish straight. Chirlie overtook me, and Dino was trying to do the same, but I kept the door like half-closed. From the replay it looks like my right rear wheel touches his left front wheel, but neither one of us was affected in any way. Dino did not register this in his report, so I think he did not even see it. I would call this one a minor racing incident as well.

Time: 1285.50
What: Chirlie had got next to me at T5. We headed next to each other towards T6. At the braking and turn-in I kept my inside line. Chirlie probably thought he had beaten me at the braking and tried to steer towards the normal apex. I was there, and we touched. Chirlie went out and hit the wall, but was able to continue without damage. I did not even lose any time because of this incident. Minor racing incident?

Here's a compilation video of these incidents:

Very good to have those vids. Thank you Peter, Vale and Marko!

I should've made one too.

Seeing my overtaking on Jim in Markos vid makes me consider doing a highlight vid of some good scenes from my race. It's all a matter of finding some extra time. Hope to be able though...

Watkins Glen Incident Report

http://youtu.be/M1JHgyUCpZc

(aborted start) - Contact with David – I think this is the worst sync incident we’ve seen. I’m happy to blame this incident completely on sync. There was a gap for David that From my perspective I took the outside line and left room. It sounds like David thought I did the same. As I mentioned in the other thread, I don’t think I could do anything to save the car after the impact with the wall. I certainly did not intend to re enter the track at the point when I re entered the track.

TS179 Lap 1 - Contact with Valter
After getting a good run on Valter into T8 I make a move down the inside. In keeping to the inside I don’t get enough speed out of the corner to quite make it stick. I’m on the outside for T9 in line with the rear of Valter’s car. I think he will hold the inside but he clearly think there is room for him to take the outside again, there is a small contact which causes Valter to slide sides and recover while I continue on. I’m interested to hear how Valter saw this one and whether his replay agrees with mine.

TS875 Lap 11 – Contact with Chirlie???
I’m not sure if this was an incident and certainly wasn’t aware of it at the time but after watching the replay just now it Chirlies car does make a strange move as I go past. I had the inside for T1 after making the pass on the start finish straight. Chirlie stays to the outside then seems to lose traction and heads off track. Any contact Chirlie?

TS1193 Lap 15 – Contact with Dino
Again approaching T5. I get out of the slip stream to make the move. I’m on the inside. My front wheels are in line with Dinos rear wheels. In this situation I expect that Dino will hold the outside and I will hold the inside. Dino thinks I will back out and leave him the apex. When he turns in my front left and his rear right meet. Dino is then catapulted over the fence.

This incident is entirely caused by our different expectations of one another. I am still under the impression that when fighting for position we choose the inside or the outside early and leave room. It is always my policy that if I’m in any doubt about where the car behind me is, I leave him room. Marko and I had many exciting runs through T5 using this philosophy. I would have a go up the inside, he would leave room but maintain speed around the outside. Since I had to slow down more to ensure I could maintain the inside line he managed to defend against all of my attacks on T5.

Watkins Glen Incident Report

http://youtu.be/M1JHgyUCpZc

TS179 Lap 1 - Contact with Valter
After getting a good run on Valter into T8 I make a move down the inside. In keeping to the inside I don’t get enough speed out of the corner to quite make it stick. I’m on the outside for T9 in line with the rear of Valter’s car. I think he will hold the inside but he clearly think there is room for him to take the outside again, there is a small contact which causes Valter to slide sides and recover while I continue on. I’m interested to hear how Valter saw this one and whether his replay agrees with mine.

I misjudged the distance and speed in relation to you. If you don't mind lets forget this race incident. Not a hard shunt at all, more like a nudge;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 320 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 164 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%