SEASON 9 RACE 6 A1 Ring INCIDENT REPORT

Has anyone looked at my replay file???? Since a sync issue is involved it's not inconceivable the both of us responded reasonably given what was presented to them. It's very disappointing that no one has mentioned having viewed it.

I have and here's the movie to prove it; the Underdog edition.... :)

A little thing called work often gets in the way and now I must scoot off....

I just re checked the whole thread looking for Bobs replay file. He has actually uploaded it to mydrive, I didn't realise we could do that, but I suppose its as good a place as any, in the interests of fairness I'll have a look at it later tonight but I must admit that I will likely join the majority in suggesting that Bob should have expected Peter to brake early into T1. Watching from Peters perspective leaves me in no doubt that he made no error at all.

Bobs point is a good one in that from his perspective he managed to avoid Peter, but I don't agree that it was by a lot, in fact it was by the narrowest of margins and in fact not by enough. I would be interested to know if Bob had decided on a braking mark for T1 (and what it was) considering his starting position?

(Thanks Peter, that makes it a lot easier!!!)

Has anyone looked at my replay file???? Since a sync issue is involved it's not inconceivable the both of us responded reasonably given what was presented to them. It's very disappointing that no one has mentioned having viewed it.

OMG, first of all a huge SORRY to you Bob. I'm guilty for not watching it from your point of view. :redface: Having seen the server replay in Peters vid, I thought I have seen the "truth" but I completely overlooked, that you are also far away and your view is different too. Sorry again mate.

But looking at the whole facts again now, it doesn't change much in my evaluation of what I see. In my opinion the sync issue would only play an important role if someone raised the question: "Why didn't you wait after causing a collision?" In this matter you'd be unguilty because you couldn't notice the contact.

But if it's about safety margins, it still looks like you were too late. I really understand that it must feel unfair as from your point of view you (luckiely) avoided the contact. But it still is a sad fact that you didn't and therefore another driver's race was "killed" at T1. :( Even in a scenario where you avoide Peter succesfully it would have been a very dangerous move with the potential of causing another collision or chain reaction.

I respectfully withdraw from further participation in this season. My wrist injury has prevented me from sufficient time behind the wheel to feel confident in my driving. I wish everyone the best of luck in the remaining races.

If the main reason for withdrawing is your health problems and the resulting lag of practice, you have my biggest respect for making this decition. But if it's also because of that incident, then you still have my full respect but I would be more disappointed about that reaction.

However I wish you all the best luck for the future and would really apreciate to see you back again soon because you're a fine guy. :thumbsup:

I respectfully withdraw from further participation in this season. My wrist injury has prevented me from sufficient time behind the wheel to feel confident in my driving. I wish everyone the best of luck in the remaining races.
No one is infallible but fortunately we can learn from our experiences and evolve. I wish you would think, if I skip the rest of this season my wrist won't get that extra exercise.

To continue my wrist rehab, I hope to prepare for each remaining race, but will not participate. It's not entirely clear that I deserve to share the track with you. Certainly not at this point. Whether or not I hit Peter is irrelevant, my evil twin brother "Lag" Bob did and ended Peter's race(his name is spelled backward from mine so it's easy to get confused). I don't feel race safe yet.

It has been an honor and a privilege to race with all of you. I have learned much and it has enriched my life. I hope that each of you has a happy and safe journey wherever it may lead.

I will miss racing you. Thanks for the duel we fought at A1. It was a long chase. Sorry you have that wrist problem that finally, I guess, gave me the upper hand. We could have kept on fighting for many laps with our identical laptimes. I hope you get well soon.
Anthony drove with one hand for a while. He proved it's not impossible and did a fantastic job with one arm.
And lag isn't a big issue for me. We can beat it with more margins and still enjoy racing with gents all around the globe.

I cannot help think that you resigning is related to the incident and the fact that everybody seemed to have a different view on the incident than you. I can understand that if our reasoning does not make sense to you and you still feel you did nothing wrong, it will be hard to participate in future races.

I feel the only possible way to make you continue racing with us is making you understanding why we say what we say.

Our focus is that very few incidents are unpreventable. If there is an incident, we need a solution. (Imagine air crash investigation, if they find out why a crash occured they find a way to prevent it in the future).

Looking at the replays it seems there is little different Peter could have done, and even though some might argue he could have braked slightly softer, it still should not mean the end of his race (safety margins). Therefore it is hard to find any recommendations to give to a car in Peter's situation. I guess all we can say is, try avoiding sudden moves in the start of the race and stay as close to the guy ahead without risking making contact (but I am sure he was doing that already).

Therefore it is only your part Bob, where it is possible to make recommendations to avoid similar incidents. Therefore everybody falls on the conclusion that it is your part that can prevent such an incident in the future.

We do not care who is to blame for the incident, we look for the solution. For me it sounds like you say that we cannot learn and avoid such incidents in the future or that we need to look to Peter to find a solution. But in reallity I think you go in the same trap as many others, you think it is about defending your actions. It could be that you are not to blame for the incident but it is still your actions we need to learn from/change for the future.

I really hope you will consider racing in our league, it is a shame to lose a member over such an issue. These things always gets blown out of proportions, probably because I am so keen on "finding the solution" and do not consider the people aspect enough.

Please stay Bob :)

First I would like to thank you Nico for running the most safety conscious league i know. The policy of detailed post-race "airplane crash" incident analysis makes drivers better and the league safer.

I became increasingly frustrated not because I was trying to defend what I did, but because I felt that I was not being listened to. I felt the core of the issue was lag not that I may have closed too fast ( I did ) or that Peter braked too early ( he may have ). Yes, closing too fast created the need for the rapid evasive action, but if lag was not an issue then this would have been just one of many times during a race where a person closes on someone who does something they don't expect. There may be a near collision, but no incident and we would never have had the discussion at all.

That being said I live on the West Coast of the US and while having an excellent fiber-optic connection I'm a long way from the server. The Australians are a long way from the server with sometimes questionable connections. That makes the distance between the Australians and me a heck of a long way making us particularly susceptible to lag related incidents. As such I should have exercised even greater caution giving them especially wide margins so that rapid changes in direction that might induce a lag incident was not necessary.

I'm not a naturally gifted driver, but rely on hard work and lots and lots and lots of practice to be safe and competitive. My thumb/wrist injury was a very severe tendon tear with a very long recovery profile. I simply cannot put in enough laps yet to be confident in my driving. I still do not think I am race safe yet and this incident proves it. For the benefit of all I will not participate in races until I feel that I can put in enough practice laps to be safe in the race. Maybe Watkins, maybe later.

For the benefit of all I will not participate in races until I feel that I can put in enough practice laps to be safe in the race. Maybe Watkins, maybe later.

Get better Bob, health comes first.
Hope to see you back to racing again - myself find it hard to not race these days - almost like quitting smoking...lol alhough racing is faaar healthier and alot more rewardig ;)

Contact with Vincenzo - TS4168 Lap 58

Last lap, I was 2 seconds behind Dino, we came to Vincenzo who was quite slow. In my replay I now see that he may have been missing his front wing which would explain the high speed differential. It was a fairly standard I went right he went right I went left he went left, contact. Perhaps I should have waited til the straight, it was unlikely that I was going to go anywhere near Dino but I wanted to keep the pressure on.

Sorry to Vincenzo, whatever the circumstances I did run up the back of you, and that's never good.

Tim, I remember that moment very well, I lose my front wing incident with Eliezer and my car had to much understeer, I sow you on my mirrors arrive very fast and my mistake was my decision, let you pass before the turn or after the turn, after the turn was wrong, I tried my best to take left to get out off race line but to late, :unsure: sorry for that Tim

c u

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back