Season 9 Race 1 Hungaroring - Preperation thread

One week with no practice and I've forgotten how to drive :D I didn't know I was so fast cooling guy. Best lap tonight 11.025 and this was more than half a second away from my usual qually pace. I need to get ready for the race. I have 2 mornings and 1 evening so go go go :D

One week with no practice and I've forgotten how to drive :D I didn't know I was so fast cooling guy. Best lap tonight 11.025 and this was more than half a second away from my usual qually pace. I need to get ready for the race. I have 2 mornings and 1 evening so go go go :D

That is the same as my general experience. If I practice a lot for a a week, then a weeks brake, then the race... well, I will not do a good race.

On race day, if I have the time, I like to do one stint a couple of hours before the race, and then I'll practice a few qual laps before I join the server. After qualify, I put race setup back on and try to get 2-3 laps to get used to race trim again.

Help us out guys, how should this close fight have been handled.

I think the problem is that your screen is too narrow Valter, so you cannot see what is on your sides... that was a joke, did you like it? :)

I think this is a case where neither driver does a perfect job. I think your "mistake" Valter, was that you could have been slightly further to the left in the exit when contact occured. but in my view that is a small mistake that should not lead to this,

Alfonso had a better view of the situation, and he had also clearly the shorter straw (he was doomed to lose that duel). If he was not confident that he could push and give you a fight at the same time leave room on the outside, he should have pulled out of that fight.

So to sum up, Valter was not as far to the left as he could be while Alfonso did not leave enough room in the exit. Saying that Valter should have succeded in taking a minimum of room in the exit does not solve the situation, because I am sure he was aiming to do that in the first place. Therefore I think Alfonso should have either allowed more space on the outside, or dropped out of the battle if he was not confident he would be able to leave enough room.

i dont think valter has done anything wrong here to be totally honest, his line doesnt deviate, he is on the outside close to the kerb, he cant go any further left or he will be on the kerb trying to put power on, alfonso sees this and can adjust his speed and line accordingly, he has the view of whats ahead, he doesnt alter speed or line and goes into the side of valter, it obviously wasnt on purpose but he shouldve either turned more and used the huge amount of track to the right on the run upto the chicane or he shouldve eased off if not in control of the situation.

the outcome looks far worse than shouldve been though, maybe a slight sync issue in there too to mix it up, there was definatly contact but not enough to turn valter into an IFO (identified flying object)

From my point of view Valter makes a nice move on the outside and Alfonso lets himself drift too much to the outside.

If there was no sync issue I had to blame Alfonso, because at 0:43 in the vid you can see that Valter is through and must have been visible for Alfonso. It's not unusual that the driver who made a good pass has a lower exit speed but once he won the duell he can't be pushed away just by the fact he's slower than usual. I don't want to say that Alfonso is pushing the "slower" Valter on purpose! I just want to say that it takes some experience to judge the speed of the overtaking car once the move is done.

I hope Alfonso doesn't see this opinions like fighting against him but just trying to help making things clear.

What's the opinion of the involved parties? Or is it solved via PM?

My oppinion:
This things can happen in a close fight. I followed him close for many laps and could not get in the position to overtake. He did a wide and I got the chance, and took it. He drifts slowly into me and I could have given him a little more space. A light touch on my tire and I'm airborne. Bad luck. I guess I could say he had more or less lost the fight and should have eased off a bit to be able to go in his inner lane without contact. A racing incident we both can be blamed for in the end, looking with neutral eyes. In my oppinion your comments are describing the event very well.

qualifying - pole position with a 1.09.5, the 20 mins session made it easier to get the times down, if it was a normal presto superpole id have been second to sean so need some work to put in that one superpole lap.

race - 1st place.

started quite well but sean started better, he got the inside at turn 1 and held onto it from there, i pressured him for the next couple of corners to try force him into a mistake while tyres were still cold and fuel high, it didnt work and he kept 1st through the first sector, from there i just settled into a rythum of trying to stay as close as possible so as to be able to capitalise on any mistakes sean made, around lap 7-8 we came across a car who was rather slow, sean struggled to get past him even though he was alot faster, this continued for quite a few corners until sean mustve suffered a loss of downforce going up hill into the chicane his rear end went and he spun, i was past quick and took the lead, now it was my turn to try pass the backmarker, it was a struggle for me too, i was so close behind him and ended up having to go around the outside of the last turn to get past, this allowed sean to catch up but then he had to pit and i noticed he went grey with dnf next to his name so i just cruised to the end, came in over 30 seconds away from 2nd place.

good race all, but please use mirrors when theres someone right behind you, i feel the real race could be decided by the lapping process.

Just would like to mention, the blue flag rules in the Club event is different than at Presto GP. But I share your worry David. Hopefully however, threre will be no lapping for the first stint (if everybody can avoid making mistakes). Also, there should be no room for misunderstandings if everybody are up to date on the blue flag situation.

The practice race didn't work out like planned for me. Me and Alfonso need some advice about how to act in situations like the nudge in the vid, so we can avoid major contact next time we come close to each other. Help us out guys, how should this close fight have been carried out in the best way?

Alfonso, one of the corner stones of Presto GP is that all members are naturally interested in trying to solve all incidents they are involved in. An example of this is that if one do not fill out an incident report after a league race, one are out of the league.

I think most Presto GP-members are worried by the fact that you have not responded to Valter's video yet. Everybody wants to hear your thoughts on it, and if it differ from the rest we need to discuss it until we all agree. This is the way we continually improve and are able to host races with 20+ of these monser cars without the races being destroyd by incidents.

If 2 drivers can not agree on what went wrong in an incident, it is almost doomed to happen again. Therefore we all have to agree on what is right and wrong.

As a wize man recently said (roughly);
It is not about who's fault it is, it is about understanding how the incident happened and how to avoid it.

ok sorry for not replying after race but i had work next day & i had my son to deal with, i just no long finnished my work, every spare time i have i practise when ave not got work or if am not busy with my family.
i thought i had left u enough room valter & the only reason i tryed to re-overtake u in corner is because u slid while taking corner & i seen a chance to re-over take u because of my speed into corner was faster than ures then our wheels touched kinda then al i see is u flying :( & i didnt turn into u either just incase a few think i did & i didnt drive into the side of ure car if u watch video carefully am turning right & i did slow down for u after racing incident, i thought it was a racing incident, anyway if i ruined ure race valter am very sorry but i really thought i had left u enought room on corner.
Except that my race was great had a great start made lots of good passes to get to 4th then stayed 4th till that racing incident then after that i had a good battle with bob trying to defend against him for 2nd then pooed it last lap so 3rd was my best ever finnish. great race all & grats to top 3 :thumbsup:

P.s from my cock-pit view it looked like i give u enough room al post vid of my cock-pit view shortly.

its not about you leaving room in the corner, valter had already passed you so room doesnt come into it, valter then left you room at the right side of the track to attack him upto the chicane but you drove into the side of him while having a good view of what was ahead, you say your speed was faster than valters into the corner but it wasnt, valter was obviously faster into the corner thats why the overtake happened, you were faster on exit and if had positioned the car to the right, had a good chance of a re-overtake into the chicane, this incident is about adjusting speed and line according to the situation, not about who was to blame or who waited for who, it wasnt a racing incident due to you having a clear view of the situation ahead.

Alfonso, I don't think you tried to run me of track, like I wrote earlier. This vid publishing is a Presto GP tradition. You are right about that I got a power-slide mid corner and it resulted in me going a little more to the right side. You can read what the experienced Presto-drivers write above, there is some advice to be found there. In Presto GP we have our own set of rules that doesn't always correlate with FIA regulations. One of the most important rules is; never make contact if you can avoid it. We like to see all cars completing the race.

That is a lag bounce, that's why the jump happened in the first place, correct response would've been simple collision. Nothe cars actually go iside each other before the sync catches on and then it rockets the topmost car in to the air, with a little bit of bonestring increase, there could've been tens of meters of airtime.. These open wheels are hard for the whole game because we clash with tire -> tire or tire -> body a lot where default collision is between two objects of similar type (body -> body, body -> wall), tire collisions are calculated very differently.

But the main infraction is the re-entry, all four wheels leave the track, no right to re-overtake before the next corner. It takes some time to get used to PrestoGP way of driving, we have participants all over the world, we get lag issues so we need to be very careful when really close to other cars. It sometimes is not fair, for ex you take it relaxed and someone else is going for it.

Something i learned or perhaps re-learned that everything looks different from my cockpit, my adversarys cockpit and from tv cameras. There has been incident videos that look very different depending on who's computer it was captured (server replay is the right one to use, it should have the best capture of them all). It may even look like someone tries purposefully to push off people or does some weird **** where in the drivers own replay he might not be seen contacting at all, the other car just flies of suddenly.

But in the end, peer review has proven to be good tool, the course of actions can be traced combining both views and even possibly third (objective) viewpoint. Conclusions may sound harsh but they definitely are not personal. I'm positive that the answers and conclusions would be 100% the same even if the drivers real name is omitted and all posts were done anonymously.

EDIT: Are my posts always this long?

I partly disagree that leaving room is not a central issue. I would say Alfonso left room, but without safety margins. When Valter is not able to be 100% at the edge of the track, an incident is the result.

So Alfonso, I do not think you did all that bad/wrong, I think if you were used to the thought of having to leave more room on your outside you might have done it differently.

So to sum up my view, you need to use greater safety margins, because we cannot rely on the other driver going inch-perfect.

EDIT: Are my posts always this long?

Yes... lol

The point i was trying to make is that we all play in different parallel realities. Literally, the netcode works that way, tonight we'll have 22 loosely synced virtual parallel universes across the globe playing a game that requires split second reflexes....

EDIT: i'll try to shorten them from now on...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back