Season 9 – 1 or 2 divisions, and how many will we be?

I have set myself one particular goal for this season, and that is to do my best to ensure that every single member that starts season 9 will complete it with a high attendance and finishing rate. This is particularly important now that we seem to be in the “twilight-zone” between 1 and 2 divisions. (We do not wish to split into 2 divisions only to see a few drivers leaving mid-season, making us 25 or less in total.)

So where are we now? Let me quickly go through all names that in some way or another have expressed interest in season 9.

Group 1 (19): Excising members I feel confident are to be counted with

Andy Paries
Anthony Ishak
Bob Luneski
David Turnbull
Eliezer Bartik
Jim Hawley
Jonas Lex
Kennett Ylitalo
Kurt Kjellin
Marko Vuori
Nicolai Nicholson
Nicolas Rouge
Peter Marshall
Reik Major
Sean Greenlaw
Tim McIver
Valerio Vinassa
Valter Ostman
Vincenzo Cavaliere

Group 2 (1): Excising members I’m in doubt of (have not signed up for season 9 and had a poor season 8)
Bob Laube

Group 3 (6): New members that seem to be "on track"
Alfonso Clarke
Bob Miley
Chirlie Williams
Dino Paolini
Henrik Jordfald Olsen
Victor Ivanov

Group 4 (2): New members that just recently signed up
Dale Suttie
Carl Hughes

Group 5 (5): New members that do not seem to be "on track"
Kevin Ledoux
Thomas Cooke
Ron Squire
Max Reed
Szymon Olizarowicz

At the moment we are 25 drivers (Group 1 and 3), but we could become more; Dale and Carl have not had much time to do what is needed (mainly practice Hungaroring), and we cannot rule out Bob Laube or group 5. In addition it can be more signups.

So as you see we stand in danger of being more than 25 drivers.
(to be continued…)

If we are to split into two divisions this can only be done according to anticipated race pace. There have been people suggesting other parameters, but I do not think this is a good idea. What we want is for those who are on a similar pace to have an opportunity to race against each other, racing in division 2 should not be regarded as punishment, but a result of gaining more people to compete against.

In the event where we would create 2 divisions, we would need to make a seeding list. Many of you know roughly what this list looks like from experience. For newer members, what they do on the practice servers and their performance in the practice race will help identifying their correct position in the list.

The size of the divisions will not be greatly in favour of a particular division, the cut will be where it makes the most sense. I will also talk to the guys who are in the twilight zone between 1st and 2nd and try to accommodate their thoughts.

Bottom line is that those who are on similar pace must be in same division :) And also that it is not the size, but the tightness (in pace) of the grid that is important.

What about points? Hmm, what if 1st division points are worth double in 2nd division? That would make shuffling a bit easier and still keep the main championship table clean. So there would be two championships, GP2 and World Championship, the latter is the official one. I'm one of those where there is no question which div i'll be so i can keep score (or someone else, really, i don't care, rather not do it but i've kept score before...)

Also if we get the race videos from each event, 2nd division clips wouldn't be mandatory. It may actually cause more pressure when you know that you may end up in youtube spinning... Coverage rate about the same as GP2 vs F1 ;)

Of course some nicknames for each division would be cute, like Elite and Prospect or something, i'm sure there's wittier minds around here somewhere...

The hardest part is if we don't get two divs but are still over 25... I'm ready for pre-qualy, if it comes to that and don't affect my responsibilites (i've always passed pre-qualy ;) ). It's not the best thing around but may be only solution. It all depends on this last week, group 1 & 5 should now pick up, if they do not it's my honest opinion that they are signed out (absolutely the last resort but sometimes one needs be hard..

At least those two group should reply to this thread, don't you think? We wouldn't need to wonder...

I will go along with what ever is decided, I am also happy to race in a 2nd division for my first season to get used to these races without the pressure of being lapped every stint and not wanting to hold anyone up or cause them problems. I still cannot get to grips with starting without sliding to the side so would more than likely start from last place anyway and try to make my way up as best I could.

Have you tried using clutch? I use clutch button sensitivity set to 10 (or what ever the slowest was, a little faster than that..) so when i release the button with pre-defined revs, the car starts to move without wheelspin. You still get the wheelspin but it easier when the spin doesn't start from stationary position. Opinion, of course, have no way of saying if that's good.. It takes some time to get use to new launch routine, before clutch, i kept revs by looking at second monitor and reading throttle level from there and then just flocking the switch.

When there's a a tested steady amount of throttle, the start gets a lot easier. When you need to guess, it's hard. Specially with these, my launch throttle takes the revs over revlimit, so i use throttle level instead.. I don't know how to do it without second monitor thou... I can start nowadays without it but it's a lot more reliable with telemetry monitor. But it works, proven by majority of starts, i'm fast off-the-line, not much use elsewhere.. Cold tires: no problem, 5% less throttle... Damp, rain, it doesn't really matter, i can prepare for it in advance. Cheap ass CRT monitors can be carried away, the are trash these days so grab one and install a telemetry monitor, that is, if it fits with the decor ;)

On the starts i keep it simple. I put it in gear lower pedal till rev lights all on, for example the blue lights in my car and hold it there for start when lights go out you go. You willl notice your rev light up fully before your reaching max rpm so, i think at start the lights are set to ur ideal launch rpm giving you the best traction.
I also dont use clutch i think it slows your starts.:thumbsup:

In the starts there is about two seconds to get revs to desired level, in order to have a good start, all hurry needs to be eliminated.. Practice, practice, practice... Go on track, stay stationary until tire temps are below 70 and do practice starts. The PrestoGP test facility has some nice straights for launch procedure practice, absolutely flat, no need to think if the pit straight has a camber or gradient, griplevel is default etc. There's also material presentation, all materials available are driveable and even named.

http://cream.galleria.fi/BTB/Tracks/PrestoTest/PrestoTest_1.0_by_CreamK.zip

I hope everyone here understands that i do realize being one of the slowest ones here and thus shouldn't be giving advices. Can't just keep quiet.. ;) I'm also testing my ideas if they are any good and usually i get another point of view which then can be then tried in practice. Sort of like a scientific approach.

These guys are ready for race:
1.Andy Paries
Anthony Ishak
David Turnbull
Eliezer Bartik
Jonas Lex
Kennett Ylitalo
Kurt Kjellin
Marko Vuori
Nicolai Nicholson
10.Nicolas Rouge
Peter Marshall
Reik Major
Sean Greenlaw
Tim McIver
Valter Ostman
Vincenzo Cavaliere
Dino Paolini
Victor Ivanov
Chirlie Williams
20.Bob Miley
Henrik Jordfald Olsen

These guys I hope have time to get ready for the first race:
Valerio Vinassa
Bob Luneski

These guys did not do a convincing practice race and have not practiced online since:
Alfonso Clarke
Dale Suttie
Carl Hughes

These guys will not participate in the first races at least:
Jim Hawley
Bob Laube

So now that the pre-season sign up process is done I'd just like to say that Im very happy with the outcome regarding the number of dedicated (new and old) drivers signing up.

I think we're in a good position because now it looks like that we can be sure to have one full grid for this season, it is not a 2 division league but one can argue wether 1 full grid or 2 medium-sized grids are better and the option to switch to a 2 division league will stay alive during the whole season.
With already existing things like Racing Club Events, promotion through articles and videos and also with the help of not yet mentioned things there is a good chance that we keep on growing during the season as well, in any way we're heading into the right direction.

So to sum it up, this season will be f*cking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 full grid as it seems we have 21 drivers ready. That's a nice number, allows late joiners. Doesn't have a lot of margins for those who have to cut season short, maybe 1 or two drivers statistically will not finish the season.

Hi Nicholi,I see u werent convinced bout my practise race. Great start 16th to 10th for about 7 laps then i spun pitted and mucked up pit stop had 100 litres of fuel on medium tyres was a handful to drive to say the least. I feel i did well considering i was getting lapped quite a lot left the front runners more than enough room even if it meant going off track.No incidents with other drivers.

Hi Nicholi,I see u werent convinced bout my practise race. Great start 16th to 10th for about 7 laps then i spun pitted and mucked up pit stop had 100 litres of fuel on medium tyres was a handful to drive to say the least. I feel i did well considering i was getting lapped quite a lot left the front runners more than enough room even if it meant going off track.No incidents with other drivers.

It looks like you have missed the point about concistency. Avoiding incidents is half of the requirement, being consistant is the other. From what I could see from the server replay you avoided incidents, but did not have concistency.

Also, I have not seen you practicing at all after the practice race, so there is nothing indicating to me that you have improved since the practice race,

How many laps in race trim have you done since last Wednesday, and have you managed to complete a stint without mistakes?

Also, medium tyres with 100 liters does not sound like a good idea, the car will be easier to control with 3x 50 liters.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, the only stint/race trim practice you have done is the practice race last Wednesday, while I have spent a lot of time in the forum telling new members that you need to practice stint.

It looks like you have missed the point about concistency. Avoiding incidents is half of the requirement, being consistant is the other. From what I could see from the server replay you avoided incidents, but did not have concistency.

Also, I have not seen you practicing at all after the practice race, so there is nothing indicating to me that you have improved since the practice race,

How many laps in race trim have you done since last Wednesday, and have you managed to complete a stint without mistakes?

Also, medium tyres with 100 liters does not sound like a good idea, the car will be easier to control with 3x 50 liters.

EDIT: As far as I can tell, the only stint/race trim practice you have done is the practice race last Wednesday, while I have spent a lot of time in the forum telling new members that you need to practice stint.

Can be consistent with right fuel and tyres as i said mucked up pitstop had 48 litres when i pitted and added another 50. running a 100 litres was never the strategy. I admit i havent been on since practice race. Il sit this one out if you want.

I admit i havent been on since practice race. Il sit this one out if you want.

The way I wish for things to work is that all drivers take responsibillity for themselves, so if I was you in this situation I would have said: Guys, I have not had enough time to practice for this race, so I think it is better that I give it a miss and rather focus on the next.

This goes ofcourse to all members (myself included), that if you have not had enough time to prepare sufficiently for a race, say so and give it a pass. That is much better than crashing every 10th lap.

So if you agree that it is very unlikely that you will manage to complete the race without major mistakes, and at best you'll finish 5 laps+ behind the winner, then yes, I think it is best that you rather give this race a miss.

(Lapping is the greatest concern for most, and you could end up being lapped as many as 100 times...)

I hope you do not take this as unfriendlyness or anything Dale, I really hope you'll find more time and become a regular driver at PrestoGP. Remmeber, the key is stint practice. If you are able to do a stint without mistakes online (it is all recorded) I'll be convinced, regardless if the pace is 2, 3 or 4 sec behind the fastest.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back