Season 8 Race 6 SEPANG RACE Report

I'll write the report later. Very nice last lap, hope i didn't hold the lapper at that point too long, i had Vinassa right at my sights, couldn't just let go, timed that release perfectly, they catched him in T12, that took enough time that i managed to finally catch him in the T14.. Backstraight drafting, last turn overtake and bumber to bumber to finish. Otherwise one spin too many, slight suspension damage thru the race.

Congratulations Reik, David and Sean.
And to all... :)

Q 18th I think, It is often hard to tell from my replay. I made another silly error and lapped on Super Softs. A disaster, but fun :)

R 9th [I think] The start went well from where I was sitting. I fell back to position 20 over the lap but all was good. :)

From there I battled for position with many drivers eventually settling into 14th by lap 8 or so.

I caught up to Nico and Andy before the first pit stop. I had a half spin leaving the notorious Turn 14 allowing Nico back pass. We more or less entered pit lane together. I was behind Nico but I had a good garage position [near the entry] so I Ieft ahead of him.

Tyre wear on softs became an issue when battling/ defending position. I pitted a lap earlier than Nico next time.Then the bumping of wheels then ocurred the following lap when Nico left the lane and I had to decide where we both were in the blind spot of the braking zone. I miscalculated :( and we appear to have had a bump side by side, Nico surrendered position then I think [sorry] as I left Turn 2 slightly ahead.This battle then lasted most of the final stint.

Finally, my tyres went right off and so did the grip, Vincenzo was gaining in the final laps to be on my tail on lap 43; the last one. Sliding around a bit too much, I managed to keep the car pointed down the road and finished on the lead lap.

Many great battles. Raced a lot of you for position, Jonas, Kennett, Valerio, Andy, the list goes on. Well done Eliezer for a great battle with Vince:cool: - I had an excellent view of that during the middle part of race.

Thank you all. This race was a great challenge for me even without the much touted rain. I hope to see you all at China.:)

Edit: I must add a very well done to Nicolas for his pole position :)

Congrats Reik David Sean and Nicolas for pole a new face at horizon:)

Q 9th on wet best quali for me:)
Race18th very intense and funny first lap some nice battle / pressure with Bob Luneski, Jonas and really few with Kurt this until first pit 56 lit. and medium a bit alone race but lost 2or3 time car T1 T9 T11 then 2nd pit but when i pass the box front me jump Kurt he gain some sec. in pit and one position in race push for stay near him but T11 is there so lost a bit car lift feet and no more contact with kurt usually blue flag and behind me Kennet that push for chatch me think for 10 laps so in last lap my advantage is low lift feet for let pass 2 cars with blue flag and in T14 me and Kennet are wheel at wheel and at T15 last turn Im outside curve and him inside I didnt close the door because is difficult see if someone is on side (no nice one contact at last 100m.:D ) Kennet is inside turn and jump out before me and finish race think with some tenth of gap. on the other hand nice pressure Kennet;)

Thanks PrestoGP for event

Q : 1st
Unbelievable :cool: !!
My lap wasn't so quick I thought, and I was astonished to see my name at the top of the list, and staying there! I'll tell you a secret : it's only the second Q lap I did on this track, the first one being during the practice race last Wednesday.

R : 6th
My strategy was to make only one stop, so I started with 86l fuel and hard tyres and pitted at lap 21 for the same stuff. I knew I would be slow on the track so my goal was not to make too much mistakes, especially in the first stint, and to block the faster pilots. Unfortunately, it didn't go well since I spun in T1 in the second lap and did other nasty mistakes that cost me a lot of time and positions.
My second stint was better, very few mistakes, but it's annoying to see the faster guys pass you easily. I think it wasn't the good strategy here, especially without some rain, but I'm happy with the final result.

CU next event.

qualifying - 2nd, felt it was a good lap in the conditions, then seen nicolas pop up with a lap nearly 1 second quicker, well done nicolas.

race - 2nd, great fight into turn 1 with ? not checked the replay yet, tried all i could to get into t1 in first position and by t2 it has worked and i was clear, i made the clear air count and opened up a huge gap that at one point was about 16 seconds, so on lap 14 i made my first pit stop :( couldnt have gone more wrong (i remembered from the practise race that nico had left flags on so we had to use limiter, well it obviously stuck) i slowed to 37mph and left the limiter on, i crawled along the pit lane then someone flew right threw me, i then realised :( so into my pit box, and limiter off for the way out, id lost 11 seconds at least because of this, and gave reik the oppertuity to get back in the race which he did and overtook me a few laps later, i tried to just settle into a rythum after that and managed to bring it home in 2nd, some good points so im happy with that.

lapping cars was a bit hairy at times, more than once i had to take avoiding action and slam on brakes due to unpredictablity, but it was alot better than usual so thats a plus point.

great race guys cya at china :)

Q 8... i went out on inter when i saw 33% wet on the telemetry then i looked again before the hot lap started and it was 77% wet :eek:

R 7 th ....

i started the race with my full wet setup as all sessions showed 70-80 % wet race, i had in mind the track will change to wet anytime soon during the first stint .. my full wet setup was based of 6/28 wings with the rear camber set to -0.48 compared to the dry setup of 6/29 with 0.33 rear camber , it is really interesting to mention that with this little change in setup made me struggle and lose between 2-3 second per lap when driving it on dry track instead compared to my PB during the practice stints with Peter/ Valter and Nico last Sunday when i prepared the dry setup.. had the track been 40- 50 % wet before the race started i will have gone out on the dry setup.

I am just mentioning this to say that it does make a difference with the weather and how we prepare for it, at least from my end and i was really hoping for some rain so i can drive this car properly , but i had lots of fun today with lots of action on track while fighting the car to squeeze some good laps out of it at the same time trying to defend my position, i was passed by Reik ,Elizer, Sean and Tim " after his spin, then for the rest of the race i was pushing all the way to stay ahead of Jim who had a spin early on and was closing on me lap after lap and the last 8 laps we had a very nice trio battle with him from behind , me and Nico Rouje .. thsx for the fun guys .:) ..

Grats Reik , David and Sean and all survivors, it was a fun race today ..

Thx Nico and Presto :) ..

Anthony

Thats odd Nico, seeing Reik there, thats not supposed to happen in superpole is it?

Nice slipstream on the last two straights tho.... that was handy:)

Great lap tho.... you smoked us all:D

Jim

It's just the replay file putting all cars on track. So no slip stream for Nicolas. :) Very well done mate - perfect pole lap.

I was swimming around on super softs. :rolleyes: On the first glance out of the pits my Overlay said "H" for humid (damp) and the ingame forecast said "damp" with prediction to rain. So I thought I'd be clever on slicks as long as it doesn't rain much but it did very, very soon and very very much. :)

Grats to Nicolas for a great Pole, to Reik, David, Sean and all the participants. I think there was a lot of great racing today, I certainly enjoyed it.

Q: 14th Made the mistake of going out on intermediates, had to tiptoe around the course.

R: 16th It was a day spent mostly regaining ground lost from my own mistakes. Spun off mid-course in lap 1 waited for pack to pass and rejoined 21st. Spent rest of first stint making up ground with some good battles with Kurt, Valerio, and Jonas, working my way back to 14th by the end of the 1st stint, but spun and gave up a place to Jonas just before entering the pits. Then my pit errors continued, but instead of keeping the pit limiter on(learned that one) I flew past my pit location, had to back up, backed up to far, had to come forward, forget to start the engine while the tires were being changed..lost 4 postions and came back out in 19th. Need to have a serious talk with my pit crew....Second stint was spent regaining a couple of positions to 16th entered the pits and flew past my pit box again grrrrr.......back out into 19th..... last stint was going well again regaining 3 positions to 16th and caught up to Kurt and Jonas who were battling at lap 40. I was confident that I would be able to pass Kurt and Jonas in the 2 laps remaining since I was faster and had passed each of them previously in the race. Well, I had been charging for the previous 40 laps and I charged too hard trying to set Kurt to pass and tapped him in T14 of lap 40. Very sorry for that. Now 6 seconds behind them with no hope of catching up, I eased up finishing 16th.

One very odd thing happened at the end. I saw the leader on the track map 1/4 lap behind me and since I couldn't catch Kurt I eased up to let the leader(Reik) past on a convenient straight. Well, the track map said he was right on top of me, but I didn't see anything in the mirrors. In the audio he came screaming past me but there was no car all I saw was brake smoke when he broke at the next corner. Scared the piss out of me.

Anyway, fun day of racing. Now my new rig is up and running I expect to be better prepared for Shanghai. Cheers M8's

Qualifying: 6th. Pretty decent lap. I was using Reik´s "more wing" setup and wet tyres. I was the last one to leave the pits at qualifying, which was probably wrong decision as the track seemed to get more wet towards the end of the session.

Race: 5th. Using same setup as in qualifying, but with soft tyres in front and mediums in rear. A race full of action. I was already 4th at the end of first lap, and made a succesful attempt to overtake Jim Hawley at the start of lap 2, which took me to P3. However, there was a car sideways at T1 and my evasive manouvre took me to the grass for a while and Jim & Tim managed to overtake me. I tried to put pressure on them, but on lap 5 I had a slight spin at the last hairpin, Vincenzo Cavaliere got past me. On lap 11 I hit Vincenzo from behind at T14 and Reik got past both of us. On lap 13 (bad luck lap!) Tim and Jim both span at T4 and Vincenzo hit Tim. I was able to overtake all of them, now running at P3. I had my first pit stop in lap 15 and dropped to 5th. After that I was pushing hard to catch David Turnbull, and I managed to bring down the gap from 16 to 8 seconds during second stint. One by one guys in front of me went to pits, and I noticed I was leading the race on laps 29-31, after which my pit stop dropped me to P5. A spin with perhaps still cold tyres saw me drop to P6 as Tim overtook me. On lap 38 I had catched Tim and Nicolas R. and I made an attempt to overtake Nicolas at T4. We made a contact and both cars went out of the track quickly getting back to race though. The last laps of the race I was pushing all I could to catch Tim and we had a great fight on the last lap, lapping 3 cars and battling for P4 for the whole lap. Finally I finished perhaps only 10 meters behind Tim at P5. Best race lap 1:32.305.

Conclusion: My best Presto GP race this far. Unfortunately there were some slight incidents as well. My race pace, tactics and pit stops were okay this time. Some incidents in this race showed that I need to improve my close combat skills with MMG F1 cars for the coming races.

Grats to Reik, David, Sean and to all drivers who completed the whole race:)

Qualifying: 7th on full wet. I thought I would come in last when I swam that slow lap.

Race: DNF, I refuse to say why.

It was a good race, I saw it from the garage. Many great fights. Thanks for the entertainment:)
I was surprised that some pitstops came so early.
It was somewhat disappointing for me that you didn't have at least a short shower during the race:)

And Nicolas, it was damn well done to take pole, thumbs up.

Thanks to Nicolai, RD, MMG, Gunthar and all extraordinary gentlemen drivers. Sorry I f****d up.

First of all my full respect and big congrats to Nicolas for driving on pole position! :)

The next congrats of course go to David and Sean for completing the podium. Finally I'm happy to see so much finishers earning good points and I'm really sorry for Vally. :oops:

Qualy (16th):

I missinterpreted the ingame forecast and my XD Overlay information, so I wanted to be extra clever by going out on super softs. That was pure swimming. :) Finally I managed to finish the "quick" lap without a mistake. :rolleyes:

Race (1st):

I was in a good mood after the race and my caffeine reserves still weren't empty, so I decided to make a race summary video this time. :) Hope you enjoy it...

Big, big thx to Nicolai, RD, MMG and last but not least all the great drivers here. :)

C U in China :)

One very odd thing happened at the end. I saw the leader on the track map 1/4 lap behind me and since I couldn't catch Kurt I eased up to let the leader(Reik) past on a convenient straight. Well, the track map said he was right on top of me, but I didn't see anything in the mirrors. In the audio he came screaming past me but there was no car all I saw was brake smoke when he broke at the next corner. Scared the piss out of me.

Since racing in PrestoGP I had this strange issue one time. I had to lap Gaetano and all I could see was his name tag (no car, no shadow). He was quick and it was hard to guess where he wanted to let me lap.

I have no clue where this bug is comming from. I only sometimes had slight issues with some single transparent parts of few cars but seeing nothing of a car only once.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 436 39.6%