Season 8 Race 4 Montreal '79 - setup thread

then i tried Nicolai setup after reducing the fuel and with super softs and did first 5 laps to get used to his totally new setup innovation in different areas and then to my surprise i went on and did a 110-90 which is very close to my PB.
this new setup reached top speed a bit quicker than usual , maybe because of the reduced front toe and lower front camber ? but then i found that it did require to be very smooth on throttle and on the steering on the exits to get the front to stick , if you press a bit harder the car tend to understeer , and with my rough driving it did not work well in every turn :confused: ..

Is the second part also about my setup? If so I can tell you that the lower toe and camber settings is because it is a race setup and not qual (my qual setup is the same as the race, but slightly lower ride height, 2 clicks less on rear wing and more toe and camber.

The reason I reduse camber and toe on my race setup is to reduce tyre wear and make the car overstear less (which I believe makes me slightly slower but more stable, no point being fast if I cannot last the whole race)

Could someone explain a little about enginemap settings. I can understand everything else and have read how the mysterious 3rd springs works, couretsy of diving in to PrestoGP archives in the form of ancient threads ;) But what i need to know, if i turn the map from 3 to 4, what's suppose to happen. Don't need to go very technical, just simple behaviour description will do..

Valerio: damn, i was scared for a minute that i need to do 1:10 laps, the track is way too scary for that.. I can also do 1:13, i'll put my laptime to PrestoGP.com this evening. 1st corner is slow still, i've only managed to hit it perfectly twice. I guess it's 4th gear corner, am i right?

hi Kennett,
engine brake map:
LOWERING the value you INCREASE the value of the engine brake
if you turn engine brake map from 3 to 4 you will have a low brake on engine, for better say use 7 if you run on wet track for not slide with rear tires when you go down with gear.
--------------------------------------
engine map:
value high = more power/acceleration usually is set on 4 at max

this is what I know:)

Could someone explain a little about enginemap settings. I can understand everything else and have read how the mysterious 3rd springs works, couretsy of diving in to PrestoGP archives in the form of ancient threads ;) But what i need to know, if i turn the map from 3 to 4, what's suppose to happen. Don't need to go very technical, just simple behaviour description will do..

Valerio: damn, i was scared for a minute that i need to do 1:10 laps, the track is way too scary for that.. I can also do 1:13, i'll put my laptime to PrestoGP.com this evening. 1st corner is slow still, i've only managed to hit it perfectly twice. I guess it's 4th gear corner, am i right?

5th gear for me, and most of us i think.

thx for everyone who shares his setup here, your bringing more fun to the races by sharing your time and experience with us,
+1 :) It has always been important to me that I develop my own abilities to create my own car setups; it is a LARGE part of sim racing in general. Developing and understanding the setup area is where more than half the game/ sim is.

i used to have lots of free time last year to do testings and creating setups but this year things have changed , I barely have the time to see my family after work , so your setups are highly appreciated :)
You began this whole process of sharing data publically within the forum. Before that it was only between small groups of people and I was 3 - 4 seconds a lap slower... = was less fun not knowing why.

engine brake map:
LOWERING the value you INCREASE the value of the engine brake
if you turn engine brake map from 3 to 4 you will have a low brake on engine, for better say use 7 if you run on wet track for not slide with rear tires when you go down with gear.
Nice one Vale. :) That is my understanding, from a feel point of view, as well. I tend to use an engine brake map of zero at Monaco and tracks with lots of slow corners. The rear/ engine helps me slow and move the balance of the car toward the rear; so I have more front brake bias to compensate and stop quicker. But not here at this velodrome of speed.

Thanks for the info, will be useful. Race will be interesting, i have different speed thru some corners, in the first i have to use 4th and in the second chicane i'll do it with 5th gear in the limiter, it's specially for that corner. I'll flick to 6th immediately when it's over. That's the only viable option for me if i wan't to survive until the end..

Is the second part also about my setup? If so I can tell you that the lower toe and camber settings is because it is a race setup and not qual (my qual setup is the same as the race, but slightly lower ride height, 2 clicks less on rear wing and more toe and camber.

The reason I reduse camber and toe on my race setup is to reduce tyre wear and make the car overstear less (which I believe makes me slightly slower but more stable, no point being fast if I cannot last the whole race)

Ahh , i see, it was tuned for race , u mentioned something last race that you have changed your setup style and that made me believe that these settings were part of it and was curious to try them :)... the car felt good except for the slight understeer and a bit tricky when on power, of course u wont get that if u lower rear wings and more F camber and toe when doing Q, .. i normally keep the same camber and toe for race as for the qualy and only change gear ratio , break pressure and rear wing setting .

Thanks for the info, will be useful. Race will be interesting, i have different speed thru some corners, in the first i have to use 4th and in the second chicane i'll do it with 5th gear in the limiter, it's specially for that corner. I'll flick to 6th immediately when it's over. That's the only viable option for me if i wan't to survive until the end..
I think if you have a gearbox that makes the engine go up to the rev limiter before first hairpin. First chicane should be 5th gear (safe). And second chicane only lift of and hit the right hand curb slightly, wait until the car is back in the proper weight balance before pushing the pedal to the metal again. This may not be the fastest way to drive that section but I think it will help me to repeat it 55 times with a fairly high percentage of success and without losing to much time.

I managed to improve my setup and controller FFB settings. FFB force exponent = 2.0 feels just right. Now i can get that 2nd chicane on hi rev 6th gear, there's no great time difference with lo rev 7th and my approach, i believe. But hitting it with 6th gear keeps my speed thru that combo solid, lap after lap. Same with 1st turn, 4th gear and midorner shift to get 5th at the entry, there i should not lose a lot of time. Racepace with 56l and softs 1:14.5 with qualy pace at 1:13.1, that's only good news.

Lowered engine mapping and the car feels lot more comfortable now, no sudden surprising slips anymore. More solid thru braking with brake map 5 and good exits with engine map 3. Wings are 4/29, they are a bit high but one click lower in aero balance is too scary for me, rearwing gets too low then..

The weight distribution in the setup editor doesn't have any effect, right? There's so much stuff there and some have effect and some don't... So, next question, where can i find info on what is possible to adjust and what's always locked?

EDIT: lol, tried 3/22 wings and got PB with 13 laps worth of fuel and soft tires at lap5... Only if i would get that in qualy, both chicanes much faster, 1st chic in 5th gear and 2nd with 7th gear flat out but that was pure luck. i need to remember this, i'll learn the track and get to qualy pace with higher wings and then drop them later..

EDIT2: It works, got 1:11.8. I tried both methods in chicane 2, no time difference at all. The amount of lift-off dropes the speed to 6th gear rev range, flicking back to 7th right after the corner. 1st chicane got a bit clearer, it's low 5th and the amount of grip what aero gives at those speeds is needed to make it more safer.. it's still very fast flick of steering in both ways and the timing needs to be perfect. Switching to 4th is marginally slower, maybe a tenth, just need to match the correct ratio for it to work. I'm already on 5th at the exit apex, if i get more comfortable with it i'll gladly save one gearchange there in the long run and use only 5th... Decisions, decisions..

Damn, my time didn't register to PrestoGP.com.. I did in the 5 lap server, the qualy is long enough, the stint servers have 15 minute qualy, it's a bit short for my liking, You get 10 laps there maximum..

Damn, my time didn't register to PrestoGP.com.. I did in the 5 lap server, the qualy is long enough, the stint servers have 15 minute qualy, it's a bit short for my liking, You get 10 laps there maximum..

It seems firefox had crashed on the server, disrupting the update of the results. I restarted it now, and I see the results are alredy updated.

As for the 15 min qual on the stint server:
The stint servers are meant for racing stints, the 15 minute qualify is there to serve for waiting for other players to join while warming up for the stint.

The 5 lap server's main purpose is qualify practice. Many use this to "learn the track". The 5 lap race at the end of the 45 minutes is ment as good practice for traffic and also good fun.

EDIT:
The reason I removed the practice session server is because it doesn't update the web-site. The web-site is important because it gives me (and others) an idea of what to expect for the race.

Right now I see that Helder, Jonas, Vincenzo, Gaetano, Eliezer and David McC all have not posted any time yet. This needs to be dealt with prior to the race. But in any case it is not likely that many of these will be at the race, perhaps with the exception of Jonas and Eliezer (I know Eliezer is probably busy with a new baby), but also for them no positive sign in respect of a strong preformance in the race..

The weight distribution in the setup editor doesn't have any effect, right? There's so much stuff there and some have effect and some don't... So, next question, where can i find info on what is possible to adjust and what's always locked?

Gunthar [the mod maker][ told me via TeamSpeak once that I would just have to test test test test test... Asking him would be a good place to start with.

Hmm, it would be esy to find out... Put springs on softest and look at MoTec data of stationary car with different weight distributions.. If that's doesn't show then put full wings and i can make a 5km straight, then see if the data changes. I'll do an official testrack, something where to analyze things: 1km, 3km and 30km banked circle. Different bumbprofiles and griplevels, few extra long test-straights, flat upwards slope 10degrees and downhill slope 5degs etc.. If anyone have good ideas for test-facility, i can provide the solution. Then maybe later i'll detail it with PrestoGP logos and draw some stupid course in it to have fun..Maybe a few 1km closed loop circuits with the very basic corner types... Using it online can get rid of all the rules so it's an open playground. Star shaped so that all the facilities are close to the pit...

It's really convenient to have a trackbuilder in the group, doesn't it? Kimmo does tracks too so now you have two track experts (is there BTW any other modders in this group?)... We can dig up the grip levels and trackdesign to share the ultimate secret knowledge.. ;) You can ask how high is that bumb and we'll possible can tell you.. Simulates walking around the track.

EDIT: just noticed the earlier post..

It seems firefox had crashed on the server, disrupting the update of the results. I restarted it now, and I see the results are alredy updated.

As for the 15 min qual on the stint server:
The stint servers are meant for racing stints, the 15 minute qualify is there to serve for waiting for other players to join while warming up for the stint.

The 5 lap server's main purpose is qualify practice. Many use this to "learn the track". The 5 lap race at the end of the 45 minutes is ment as good practice for traffic and also good fun.

EDIT:
The reason I removed the practice session server is because it doesn't update the web-site. The web-site is important because it gives me (and others) an idea of what to expect for the race.

Right now I see that Helder, Jonas, Vincenzo, Gaetano, Eliezer and David McC all have not posted any time yet. This needs to be dealt with prior to the race. But in any case it is not likely that many of these will be at the race, perhaps with the exception of Jonas and Eliezer (I know Eliezer is probably busy with a new baby), but also for them no positive sign in respect of a strong preformance in the race..

That sounds good, very good actually now that i think of it. The sessions are now good, i'm happy :) And Damn, i'm 0.023 behind team-mate...

EDIT: Started doing the test facility.. Increasing front wing from 1 to 2 will take 5km/h off, while incresing rear wing to 2 actually made the car go faster.. Lol... I'll be giving updates in the General Discussion thread...

Ok, i did some testing and the weight ditribution in Setup Editor doesn't do anything.
Test procedure: Flat surface, full ride height, softest suspension and wheel fully turned to have the same steering angle. 0km/h for a full 30 seconds and MoTec reading gave the same ride height everytime. The first tests i was surprised when the readings were inconclusive and showed both front AND rear ride height lowered but then i noticed that my steering wheel, allthou centered was still off by 2% between attempts.. So, unfortunately we have locked weight distribution. The adjustment range is from 52 -58% in the back so there should be some difference in ride height. The resolution is in cm rounded up so i'm sure that one of the corners would've shoed something. If anyone has improvents to the test procedure, i'll be happy to carry out the tests (empty or full tank for ex). Or i can upload the straight test track, it's not nearly finished but flat piece of tarmac is flat piece of tarmac, no matter how you garnish it.

Next: aero drag per adjustment level, how much one click actually take off from the top speed and how it affects acceleration. I'll have to use driver assists, mainly traction control to get perfect start everytime. I'll be using 3km straight line tope speed and total time. This will have to wait until after the race, i did quick test and difference between 1 and 20 in front wing is 39km/h less top speed (rear wing maxed 309km/h and 270km/h).. So that's about 2km/h per click but i need a bit more dataruns.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 98 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 51 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.7%