Season 8 - General Discussion

I invested some time and posted 2 threads which in my opinion every racing league should have, general discussions and more important an info thread where all information is combined so that visitors dont have to look around for long to get information.
My thought behind this is to get a more organized forum especially concerning sticky threads.​
In my opinion thats very important for the first impression of a league.​
So Im not sure if everything I wrote is even correct and maybe you see some things to improve so feedback in any way is welcome.​
I have one Suggestion now:
I looked at all the other sticky threads and tried to combine as many as possible into the info thread because in my opinion its more convenient to have not too much of these sticky threads.
I ended up putting all information of the F1 mod download thread, the Season 8 - Standings thread and the Season 8 - Calendar thread into one thread.
So I would suggest to unsticky these threads and make the info thread and the general disscusion thread sticky.
Topics of these 3 threads and other topics can then be disscused in​
the general disscusions thread.​

I know this is quite a bit of new things but I decided since this is a forum where everything can be deleted again with one click I might as well just post it and see what you guys think, so please say if you like these ideas or not​

Wow! The information thread looks great. Looks like much work mate. Well done! :)

@Kennett: I also thought about the collision with your thread. Maybe you should rename yours into something which better suits your addon track works?

PS: Please don't feel pushed away Kennett, it's just my feeling too, that the general discussion should more be about the league in generall, whilest your thread has a more special subject.

I see what you mean there Kennett, I missed that the thread existed even though Ive posted in it :rolleyes:
So we can put the posts of this thread in your thread and delete tihs one or we rename a thread, Im happy with either

I have a question, perhaps Kennett knows the answer?

Sometimes the skid marks on the track are much less visable than they usually are. Normally you can easily see them and in some situations they are useful for reference. At the practice race on Wednesday the skid marks had become much lighter in colour and much harder to spot on my screen. This happens to me from time to time, that on race day when I join server the skid marks are light in colour. At Sepang I am depending on the skid marks for the two tricky right handers you all know, and it would not be good for me if they are almost invisible come race day.

Have anybody else experienced this problem? And is there an explaination or fix for it?

Skidmarks are defined in the AIW file and generated on the fly by the game engine, I have no idea why they sometimes change color, I've yet received any proof of changing griplevels.. That is one of the reason i use a second set of skidmarks in Cicada that are done differently and they never change... Have no idea of what to do, the game might just use some sort of random function, you could try to exit server and rejoin, that would be a neat test ;) AFAIK, they don't change during the race, all thou that would logical, light at the start and dark at the end but no....

About the weather, i could do a temperature change in the weather... Malesia is hot and humid, my idea would be to use dry weather but higher temps, that would fit to real life where they have to use harder compounds... Something like ambient 32C, track 35C... Just a mild change, nothing too extreme...

About the weather, i could do a temperature change in the weather... Malesia is hot and humid, my idea would be to use dry weather but higher temps, that would fit to real life where they have to use harder compounds... Something like ambient 32C, track 35C... Just a mild change, nothing too extreme...

We have experimented with temps a few seasons back as I recall? we we're less experienced back then and some people were caught out with high engine temps due to radiator ducts being too low, also fading brakes for the same reason and of course overheating tyres

But we're all a bit wiser now? so maybe it's worth a shot, but I would say it's probably best not to make changes mid season though, we don't usualy do that, it's our sort of "virtual" Concorde Agreement, something as fundamental as as this would need some testing off season first, and as always would require much discussion here on the forum:)

Jim

Indeed it is, as is the "Season 8 Standings"

As all of that info is now in Jonas's new thread I suspect Nico has been doing some house keeping on the forum

Jim

PS. Kennett...do you ever sleep?

:D My sleep rhythm has been just awful since the first F1 race in Australia.. I'm trying to get it fixed but after a short sleep around 08:00 to noon, i try to stay up until bedtime but then fall asleep in the afternoon. It's been like that for two weeks now.. Today i managed to stay up so maybe tonight's the night... The amount of coffee i've been drinking i just astounding, something like 1 liter of espresso per day.. But hey, i'm Finnish so that's nothing.

EDIT: Found the info, hadn't just scrolled enough down,, :rolleyes: It's better that it's combined in a single thread, much better.

I looked at all the other sticky threads and tried to combine as many as possible into the info thread because in my opinion its more convenient to have not too much of these sticky threads.
I ended up putting all information of the F1 mod download thread, the Season 8 - Standings thread and the Season 8 - Calendar thread into one thread.
So I would suggest to unsticky these threads and make the info thread and the general disscusion thread sticky.
Topics of these 3 threads and other topics can then be disscused in​
the general disscusions thread.​
As all of that info is now in Jonas's new thread I suspect Nico has been doing some house keeping on the forum
:)

About invisible cars. When there was a complaint about invisible cars at the Old Man Racing Nordschliefe Server two days ago, a guy wrote "press buttons '+' and '-' simultaneously" in the chat. We were standing on the grid. I can't verify that it will work but I thought it's worth a try if I will experience the bug some time in the future.

About invisible cars. When there was a complaint about invisible cars at the Old Man Racing Nordschliefe Server two days ago, a guy wrote "press buttons '+' and '-' simultaneously" in the chat. We were standing on the grid. I can't verify that it will work but I thought it's worth a try if I will experience the bug some time in the future.

Yep, that's the current workaround, switching to another drivers car will refresh the grid.

I know this "disappearing cars on the grid" problem from some public races in the past and I can confirm that the trick was to press "+" (to move the view to another car) and afterwards press "-" to move the view back to the own car. This way all cars had been visible again.

The special thing with our servers is, that you can't move the view to another car, because of the forced cockpit view. So the trick I know doesn't work.

I never heard about your version of the trick to press "+" and "-" at the same time. Could be worth a try if one has an invisible car in front again but I'm a littel bit pesimistic about getting the car visible then...

True. Don't like the forced cockpit as i think it gives even more advantage to triple-screeners. In my monitor i can't get all the available screen space in use but triple-screens that will not be a disadvantage.. I would vote to remove that rule, there's only three usable viewmodes in F1, Action, Hood and Cockpit, Nobody drives in swingman or bumberview so there's no real reason for forced cockpits, IMHO. I do use a lot of cockpit view in another cars but it all depends on how well the model is made, some have un-natural obstacles blocking the view.

One could say that "in the real car there's a rollcage" but in real life, you can adjust your head to look around those obstacles. Same goes for F1, even when it looks like the majority of view is blocked, that's not actually true.. The 2D monitors that we all still have will limit our viewpoint but in a way that is not natural. All games view their ingame picture via camera. That's not what happens in real life, you are not limited by the camera lenses FOV, real life drivers have depth perception, they can focus their eyes and i will bet that 100% of the drivers don't look at their wheel 100% of the time, 99% ofd the time is spent on fixating a point in 100m or more in the distance and they don't even register the inside of cockpit.

For me, the cockpit view would be good only if i could totally block the steering column, that is no Real Seat Position but free move. Then it would fit to the full picture where everything after the wheel is real, ( my hands on an actual steering wheel). Everything in front of the wheel is virtual. Just like it should be and by the way, have you seen the footage on real F1 teams simulators? They use an angle that's very near to the Action view in MMG F1 ;)

The views on the simracing world are taken to simulate head position and then apply camera zoom/FOV to cram everything in plus it must look good so they utilize the same angles that TV uses. They are not designed to simulate, they are designed to look cool on replays... That leads to a feeling that you are driving from the back seat. In MMG F1, the place where i have to drive now, is somewhere around the back of the helmet.

But i know that i'm howling at the moon here, some people are so fixated of the "Real Seat Positions" and that is the only simulated view avalailable, any other view is cheating, end of discussion, period. But i do disagree, the right view is the one that fits to the cockpit. Bumber and Swingman views are cheating, you are not driving without any blockage of view (bumber) nor can you actually see over the hills (swingman). I can't think that the forced cockpit is here because of the fear of cheating but some other reason that i would like to hear, with a real good explanation on "why?" Between single and triple screeners, there should not be any disadvantages/advantages that wholly support the expensive system, Forced Cockpit does exactly that and i know that it isn't the reason of it's existence, triplescreeners may now start to complain about too limited FOV range in the game..

Do you think this is fair? I have to drive with a view like this:
FORCED.jpg

While i would much better prefer this:
Natural.jpg

That's the difference between "Real Seat Position" and free... The former really doesn't look like i would even fit between the wheel and the seat unless i'm fictional. Triple-screeners, take a screenshot so we can compare...

Do you think this is fair? I have to drive with a view like this:

i think its fair to be honest with you kennet, not everyone can run the game at the same settings or at the same resolution, its about dealing with what you have, i use a single monitor and have always used cockpit view and im very happy with it, its the most realistic view available in the game, everyone uses it so theres no advantage or disadvantage to anyone, if your saying we should change it because you dont see enough on screen then id be inclined to say sorry but up your resolution or buy a new monitor, theres only 3? people in this league with triple monitors, rest of us get on fine with one.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back