Season 7 - Point system

In the start (season 1) the top 8 places was rewarded with points. In season 2-5 top 10 places received points. Last season we expanded it to top 12.

The way I see it, one needs to earn points through a solid race preformance (not crashing 5 times and completing 5 laps behind winner.) However, it might be too few point places if the "slower drivers" put in strong preformances race after race without being rewarded because the whole field are in general doing very well.

The higher the quality of the league is, the harder it will be to gain points, and the more point places are needed. I predict the quality will be at an all time high in season 7. Therefore my question is, should we expand the number of point places? I am in particular interested in what those who often ended up around 10th-25th place last season think.

The thing is that if only (for example) top 10 would earn points then I belive that everyone would be working hard to get into top 10 meaning that we have a much closer grid and improving the quality of the league. Then in other hand if it gets to diffecult to earn points some people will start giving up which is the back side of this. IMO having the top 12 earning points is enough because if it becomes to easy to earn points then there wouldn't really be such a big challange in the first place to earn points.

I hope you get what I am trying to say.

for me is nice same last season until 12th so inside last place we poor drivers:wink: can gain some points and have a little satisfaction:)
Im sure that we(poor drivers) push hard for win every race but is really hard take some point here ......:confused: is this a reason because I love run here?....:wink: YES when the going gets tough the tough get going:)

the point system of last season was working well , the only thing I might suggest to keep the grid tight is to reduce the point spread between all top 12 drivers to 2 points only..

I understand Nicos intention to reward also the drivers, who drive consistently to the end of a race but outside the points. I can imagine that those drivers would get an extra motivation if they are also able to compare with the surrounding opponents in a ranking system.
To be honest, if I would do my best race by race to finish in front of others but still being outside the points, it would feel a little bit unsatisfying to be finally equal with zero points.

Remember that real F1 has an internal ranking system to allocate some earned millions to the teams in relation to their finishing positions. This way also the slow teams get rewarded and HRT earns some more money if they sometimes finsih in front of Lotus. So they get rewarded for such an effort without the viewers really recognizing it.

So I'd support the idea to allocate points from first to last with the restriction that you can only win points if you have completed 75 % of the race. Of course it would mean the top drivers get more points than they used to get in the past but this wouldn't make it less interesting.

...the only thing I might suggest to keep the grid tight is to reduce the point spread between all top 12 drivers to 2 points only..

This sounds like a good idea. So I'd like to add this suggestions to my opinion. Let's say we are in total 25 drivers and everyone finishes within 75% of the race distance, so the points allocation could look like this:

1st: 34 (from 1st - 10th "two point spread")
2nd: 32
3rd: 30
4th: 28
5th: 26
6th: 24
7th: 22
8th: 20
9th: 18
10th: 16 (from 10th - 25th "one point spread")
11th: 15
12th: 14
13th: 13
14th: 12
15th: 11
16th: 10
17th: 9
18th: 8
19th: 7
20th: 6
21st: 5
22nd: 4
23rd: 3
24th: 2
25th: 1

I know this looks a little crazy and it's most likely that not each point will be allocated because it's a little unlikely that all 25 drivers finish within 75%. But if they do, why shouldn't number 24 get one point more than number 25 instead of both getting "0"?

Interesting idea Reik & worth to be considered, it keeps everyone motivated to stay in the race and finish it -- who knows, we might see surprises during the season from those who are a bit slower but consistent drivers ,they might keep up or even jump some of the top drivers with this point system .

I like your point system proposal Reik. I believe that your table will increase the motivation for us that's not among the fastest. I think the races will be carried out even more serious, even further down the field, if everyone have more points in reach.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking about. We all drive for fun, that's for sure, but the motivation is also supported by the challenge. So everyone should be fighting for points to find himself in the right place on the leaderboard. :)

I just want you to know, that I didn't do any further research if it's a fair system. It was only a quick thought coming into my mind. But even checking it twice, I'd agree with this system. :)

I too like the idea of the system. It is much more in line with the Presto GP ideal (where we want to reward solid preformances, regardless if they are done in the front or further back) than the old system.

I think it can be implemented. However, we do need to rely on the games definition of DNF to make the system work by itself.

Looks very interesting and you can see that the drivers, who finished more often got more rewarded, too. Just look at Bob and Eliezer in this example.

Not sure if anyone tried this yet, but here is a comparison between last season's standings using normal scoring versus proposed scoring, WITHOUT scoring DNFs

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6908/pointscomparison.jpg

Fantastic work David, very interesting reading indeed! Personally I feel that this will much better reflect our values at Presto GP. It would be great to get everybody's though about making the final decition to swich to 25 point places. Remember to study David McC's table first :)

What exact point system did you apply?

What exact point system did you apply?

The yellow columns are scored 25, 20, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1 (Finishing positions 1-12 score points, DNFs score 0)
The orange columns are scored 34, 32, 30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (Finishing positions 1-25 score points, DNFs score 0)

Generally, the system for scoring positions 1-25 favors the player who shows up and finishes races.

Great work David,more points more incentives for take points

david that is a great system. i like this really much. i think its easyer then the old system !

The points system is not my design, I just did the spreadsheet to try to illustrate a scenario where all 25 positions were awarded points. Where I strayed from Reik's post is that it was too time consuming for me to calculate who finished 75% of the laps, so I chose to give them 0 points instead.

This sounds like a good idea. So I'd like to add this suggestions to my opinion. Let's say we are in total 25 drivers and everyone finishes within 75% of the race distance, so the points allocation could look like this:

1st: 34 (from 1st - 10th "two point spread")
2nd: 32
3rd: 30
4th: 28
5th: 26
6th: 24
7th: 22
8th: 20
9th: 18
10th: 16 (from 10th - 25th "one point spread")
11th: 15
12th: 14
13th: 13
14th: 12
15th: 11
16th: 10
17th: 9
18th: 8
19th: 7
20th: 6
21st: 5
22nd: 4
23rd: 3
24th: 2
25th: 1

I know this looks a little crazy and it's most likely that not each point will be allocated because it's a little unlikely that all 25 drivers finish within 75%. But if they do, why shouldn't number 24 get one point more than number 25 instead of both getting "0"?

I'm in favour of an extended points system. :thanks: David for the comparison example.:thumb:

Also, for the championship leaders and challengers I feel it is much much better to have the smaller points gap between 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] etc as the new system does. It may well keep more drivers “in the hunt” for the championship [1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]] for more of the season and encoruage consistency.

For me though, it is enough of a reward to participate and finish races. I'd be happy if only the top 6 places received points, as in the days of old. I'd still race. All I am saying is that I need no further incentive to complete a race. But I am in favour. :cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 261 13.6%