Season 6 - General stuff

I didn't mind having the practice starts. All three were somehwat successful for me and a lot of fun dicing with Jim. Andy and co. :)

These connection issues; is there any hint from the server log(s) as to what or who may be causing it?

These connection issues; is there any hint from the server log(s) as to what or who may be causing it?

Yeah, is it possible to tell whats going on, I'd like to know if it was me at my end then I can try to do something about it, or was it just general internet backbone issues that no one can control?

Jim

ive a funny feeling it was more to do with the continued cycling of the server that caused peoples problems, im sure each time the server goes from track to track it disconnects then reconnects the client to the server or at least re logs them, i could be wrong.

ive a funny feeling it was more to do with the continued cycling of the server that caused peoples problems, im sure each time the server goes from track to track it disconnects then reconnects the client to the server or at least re logs them, i could be wrong.

I must say I do not think that's the problem. If that was the case i would expect people to lose connection when this happened (before qual), not 20 minutes later (after qual).

What happened with the disconnections was technically far from unique. However, a couple of coincidences made it (seem) much worse:

First of all Reik lost internet connection at an earlier stage and is an isolated case.

The diconnection chaos
Two people lost connection, Tim and Jim.
Tim was in limbo-land; seemingly on his own screen he was online but not on everybody elses. On the server interface he was gone but somebody had the status "joining game". This status is indistinguishable to somebody acctually joining the server (from password to you are in garage). And when somebody are joining the server, you can not tell who they are until they are in their garage.

Jim had big trouble rejoining because the 24'th spot was taken by Tim in limboland (unknown to me of course, it looked like somebody joining), and the 25th was taken by Anthony Ishak because of a misunderstanding.

So from my side: 2 drivers lost connection, presedence show that we usually in such a situation go around, pick them up and are delayed maybe 2 minutes. So I did. Looking at the server interface to see what happened I see 2 ppl joining and I am thinking great, it goes according to plan. But then I see Anthony I show up, but no Tim or Jim??? I look at the server interface again, I now see 24 ppl online and one car joining... I'm thinking, is that Tim or Jim? nothing happens. Then I kick Anthony (sorry mate) and leave the server myself as I now are thinking that the "joining game" that doesn't turn into a name is a bug.

I ask Jim and Tim to try joining again as there now must be room. Around this time I realise what is going on with tim, ask him to give up and rejoin myself.

As for the practice starts, that is another chapter, but it obviously caused half of the delay, and that was never my intention. I didn't calculate that we would use so much time on 2 extra practice starts, I wrongly thought the 5 minuts lended from the qual would be sufficient. (and i acctually didn't think we would need more than one practice start, but I was as the second last car amazingly rear ended by the last car and didn't have a choice but to do another one).

Bottom line is that I agree that it is unacceptable to go overtime, and I am very sorry to those who were impaired by this. I was caught off guard and it was never my intention, but as a Presto GP guy I will not make the same mistake twice.

First of all Reik lost internet connection at an earlier stage and is an isolated case.

Seems to be true (and most likely is true).

But I also had many problems in the race, which never before appeared. I had server delays for some seconds and some other cars warped from time to time.

Did other drivers also have those problems during the race? If not, it could have been my connection.

About practice starts: I think one practice start will always be enough. Finally you can never have enough practice of those tricky situatuions and doing 2 or 3 practice starts more, doesn't result in a huge improvement at all.

The major key in starting is to have an idea how to orientate on each track (through the first corners) in such a great bunch of cars (breaking points and turn in points not visible...). I allways test this with the AI from different starting positions. It costs me a quarter of an hour to make some start tests from pole and some from 10th position.
I know the AI often is bad if you watch it all over a lap. But it starts very well and most likely drives the first corners well enough to be a good training partner. So I hope other drivers do similar tests, too (and I'd wonder if they don't).

About practice starts: I think one practice start will always be enough. Finally you can never have enough practice of those tricky situatuions and doing 2 or 3 practice starts more, doesn't result in a huge improvement at all.

I think the main idea with the multiple practice start was not to become more skilled at starting in itself, but rather raising the awareness of safety, or changing the attitude of some drivers.

I do not see myself as a very skilled driver, I guess my pace reviels that :) But I do have enormous respect for my co-racers. This makes it natural for me to try to avoid hitting somebody else at all cost! This attitude have lead to more than 50 starts in a row for me without accident (caused by me at least). The only time I have messed up a start is when I rear ended Jim at our very first race in the Beta league in the spring of 2008.

I know that more than half of our members are like me, you included Reik. Problem is that 80% of my time is spent on the 20% that doesn't share this view (or at least doesn't act accordingly), and after three years I am getting tired and desperate to resolve the situation. This extreme focus on a safe start was my first attempt this season.

I have not decided what to do yet, but I want this league to run by itself ASAP. I will put in a fair bit of work this weekend and everybody will get a fair chance to stay in the league, but I can no longer allow drivers not owing up to their duties. It is extremely unfair to me.

I promis you all, I hate myself when I am "strict" or telling people off, but desperate times demands desperate measures. This league is very close to be exactly how it should be, we have a lot of great people with us. But it is PARAMOUNT that they do what is asked from them in the e-mails from the Race Director. Now I am going to make a list over those who have posted their incident report to see how many are in the danger zone :)

EDIT: It is only Friday, so no drama yet, but the following have not posted their report yet:
Anthony M
Gaetano Zizzo
Sean Greenlaw
Tim McIver
Vincenzo Cavaliere

One more thing, I am acctually quite satisfied with the race itself, the start went well and we didn't have too many incidents throughout the race. It is just that I chose to focus on the problem areas in order to speed up the road to self-running-league :)

I suspect the Race Director will give his feedback this weekend when he have reviewed what needs reviewing :)

The only time I have messed up a start is when I rear ended Jim at our very first race in the Beta league in the spring of 2008

We know that was partly/mostly my fault for braking 15m too early cus I was desperate not to hit Per:redface: and it was the first league race therefor we were all bricking ourselves:rolleyes:

my over cautiousness caused a pile up that took out rows 3,4 and most of 5, I learned from that not to be too hesitant as it can cause a nightmare for those behind, the trick is to race but dont go nuts I think

Jim

We know that was partly/mostly my fault for braking 15m too early cus I was desperate not to hit Per:redface: and it was the first league race therefor we were all bricking ourselves:rolleyes:
I think Nico anno 2011 would still have avoided you :) At that time I left no room for error (safety margin), now I do. That's I think the key to safety, that now 2 drivers must "make a mistake" to create an accident. Not always of course, but you get my point, having a safety margin reduces accidents dramatically :)

Seems to be true (and most likely is true).

But I also had many problems in the race, which never before appeared. I had server delays for some seconds and some other cars warped from time to time.

Did other drivers also have those problems during the race? If not, it could have been my connection.

Not in this race, however, at last years season final my car apparently froze on track for several seconds according to the server replay. To me Anthony, whom I was chasing, warped all over the place. Im reality [Server Replay] I was frozen on the track. It was around lap 18-19.

At Monaco same season, Eliezer froze for several seconds on lap 18 - 19 and everyone warped out.

Where's our Simbin engineers to explain this? :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 81 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 39 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.4%