Season 5 Race 9 Valencia Street - Setup Thread

Thanks for all the setups here.

I have not previously posted a setup mainly because I don't feel I am competitive enough for people to be interested in what I am using. However in keeping with Nicolai's post I will post my setup anyway.

I have tried several of the posted setups and worked mostly with the Nico-Anthony-132 setup posted by Anthony. Here is my adaption of it.

For me it is perhaps even more interesting to hear why people make the setup choices they make. Therefore these are the changes I have made and why. Of course these may be relevant at the comparitively low speeds that I am driving, but may not be necessary or relevant at the higher speeds the other guys are driving.

Also the changes were mainly made for driving in race trim. I mainly practice in race trim which to me is the most important. Hope I havent forgotten anything.

Normally I hate a car that doesnt turn in. Therefore I tend to prefer oversteer to understeer. In this case I noticed that the car had no understeer problems, when turning in, but that the tendency was to lose the back of the car. Since this was mainly in slow speed corners, both on entry and exit, I felt that I should make mainly suspension changes, but I also took a notch off the front wing.

The other problem I had was getting heat into the front medium tyres, particularly on the right tyre. I increased the antirollbar stiffness to try to help with this.

I changed ToeIn at the rear to ToeIn instead of ToeOut (negative ToeIn). I did this to go to a value that makes sense to me since I was not able to "make sense" of the short discussion we had about ToeIn earlier. Also there was no problem with getting heat in the rear tyres and a reduction of the toein should reduce rear tyre heating and tyre wear.

Finally Valerio's race-ending curb experience in the FPPS race was quickly matched by my own experience of hanging on the curbs in practice. Therefore I decided to raise the ride height. I gave up trying to raise it until I didn't hang when stopped on a curb, but rasing it 0.5cm to 2cm front and 3cm rear seems to greatly reduce the chance of getting stuck on the curb. It compromises performance, but I prefer to increase my chances of finishing the race.

Increased Front Spring - to give more understeer/less oversteer
Decreased Rear Spring - to give more understeer/less oversteer

Increased front antirollbar - to stiffen the car and give more understeer
Increased rear antirollbar - but not as much as the front, to stiffen the car

Reduced front wing (one notch) - to get aerodynamic balance

Change large Rear ToeOut to a smaller amount of ToeIn - reduce tyre wear and heat at rear.

Increased rideheight front 2.0 cm rear 3.0 cm.

Fuel: 80L Tyres: Medium

So far I am doing >1.38.2 with this setup.

Attachments

• F1 Nico-Anth R1c.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 258
i just noticed that the setup i posted was the wrong one, sorry guys, the one posted was an "in the making" here is the one im using right now.....

Attachments

• 2.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 232
Hi all

Sorry for not post my setrup.
Here it is whit replay sorry for 2 cuts but i will make a clean lap, and go faster:=)
hope it help

Mark Sørensen

Attachments

• mark.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Valencia s hotlap mark 1,30,724.Vcr
    111.9 KB · Views: 271
not alot of change, mainly with engine brake mapping and diff, some wing taken off the back, so far ive managed a 1.31.4, feels decent to me, hope it helps someone :)

Attachments

• Val Q1 DT.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 276
Sorry Guys for being so late with setups :frown: I still had not really time to test much (in sum maybe ~ 1,5 hours)

The base setup came from Jere, thx to him!

The a-version is good for a 1:30:7xx. The ab-version is more handfull, but I drove a 1:30:6xx with it and there's little room to improve.

The ab-race-version is also a handfull and I'm not sure if I should use it in the race. But if I don't find little time to test, I think I'll take it.

I attached my fastest lap to prove, that it's no problem to drive very fast within the lines with two wheels all time. At least in qualy I'll drive like this. (Watch the nice slides in the middle sector :wink:)

Attachments

• Jere-Reik-F1 ab race.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Reik-FPES-Valencia-Street-1-30-613.Vcr
    123.3 KB · Views: 237
  • Jere-Reik-F1 a.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Jere-Reik-F1 ab.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 217
thx Graham! You can't imagine how much I improved my racing line over the years by watching faster drivers.

Still today I like to see replays from other fast drivers, to get a hint if I could use an other line through a combination of corners.

PS: please don't be angry with me, if the race setup get's a bit tricky to handle after some laps. At least for me it does... :) But I'm happy it suits you!

Thanks everyone for posting these setups. This track is very tricky and has some secrets if you want to go fast. I had to make a lot of laps to learn it and be consistent. I tried many different things on my race setup but my lap times didn't improve so I concentrated on making it easier to drive, with the ability to make almost the same lap times during all the stint.
It's a little late to post it, but here it is, if someone is interested.

For my qualification setup, I usually don't take the time to refine it so I apply my usual recipe to my race setup : remove 2 / 10 wings, increase by 0.5 the negative camber, remove 5 kPa + select SS for the tires, and put 3 laps of fuel in the tank. I sometimes increase the 7th gear and brake pressure also, since it's faster and more grippy. Here is it also. I managed a low 1'32 with it, but I only made 2 fast laps with it for the moment.

Attachments

• Nico_F1_Race.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 262
  • Nico_F1_Qual.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 263
I thought I should update on my setup selection...

I did some work with Reik and Marks setups last night (when I say work, I mean driving). I managed to improve my time quite a bit with the lower wings. I tried increasing them slightly, which again proved fruitful. Just to see what would happen, I loaded up my hockenheim race setup, which I had learned the track on. I then set my fastest time of all. With a bit of work I got it down to 1:31.8. So I have now returned to wings 5/28.

Now to work on a race setup...

Thanks everyone who have posted their setups here.
I used Mark's one for my qual attempts and set my PB without changing anything (because I am very bad in setting up the car, so prefer to use anyone's fast setup).
As for race setups, I made few stints with Reik's AB-RACE setup. My laptimes were around 1:35-1:36 (very very slow I guess), and after 10 laps tyres began to die, and the grip was terrible. Left rear tyre was totally worn by Lap 17. Is it me driving wrong? Or does everybody experiencing some problems on long stints?
I will test the race setup from Nicolas tonight before the race. Hope to find some stability and speed there :)

yeah I allways experienced a hugh loss of grip after 7-10 laps with my race setups. After some laps it often stablices a bit. Of course they are worn after 17 laps on such a long circuite.

Will be hard to be clear through the last sector chicane lap by lap....

Well, I think 1'35" is good for a race setup. I can do 1'35"xxx laps almost the whole stint with my race, and I'd be happy to repeat that during the race. But the last laps are tricky indeed, because the rear of your car tries to overtake you!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back