Season 5 Race 7 Abu Dhabi: Weather forecast

The first of two forecasts for next weeks race at Abu Dhabi:

The weather is very dry almost always in Abu Dhabi this time of year. Only a minimal chance of rain affecting a day: 1 %. In the case of rain, it will most likely be a shower.

Forecast number two will come tuesday 16:th November at 19:00 UTC (UK time).

The schedule to be able to link the forecast to the sessions:

Day 1:
11:00 - Practice
14:00 - Qualifying

Day 2:
11:30 - Warmup
14:00 - Race

The second forecast:

Day 1: No chance of rain.

Day 2: No chance of rain.

Ouch! didn't realise that next race is already next week! Hope I can make it, because we have a celebration day this day, at least in saxonia I think. You know it allways depends on how gracious the girl is ;-)

Well guys same last year we are all 'right? All day cooking PIZZA and HOT-DOG on fresh tarmac, who take the beers?

PS Thanks Daniel:)

i will be next to you Valerio doing some BBQ king prawns and some rabbits ;), i still remember last year how Valter finished his race on the rimms of his wheels lol..

thx Daniel, i lived in Dubai for 4 years few years ago and i know exactly how hot it could be there ..

keep it burning ..

cheers

Don't we use all times the same temperature at 20°C ? :confused:

btw: I'm in for that BBQ! I Like King Prawns :D :tongue:

we had a realistic weather last year but i am not sure how it will be this year, it is up to the weather man :)

you should try the Queensland King prawns , they are so sweet, we normally use size U8 :)... i will get some extra with me for you that is for sure ;:)

Don't we use all times the same temperature at 20°C ? :confused:

btw: I'm in for that BBQ! I Like King Prawns :D :tongue:

When I was talking with Nico about the weather before I joined as weather guy, we agreed on that it was enough challenge with variable rain at first, and that the temperature would be set to 20°C always. I wrote it eariler, but have forgot to repeat it. Should have written it on all the forecasts when I come to think of it.

So the air temp will be 20°C, if nothing else is said.

But if everyone would agree on changing that to variable temp, or a steady but higher temp that would be no problems for me. But I think it's getting a bit late to change it. The race is not far away and you have to change things on the setup to keep the engine, tyres and brakes from overheating.

Opinions? :)

btw: A BBQ would be cool. Aqua Vista restaurant making a temporary visit to Abu Dhabi for the evening? :wink: It would taste magnificent for sure!

Variable temps were good fun last year. I'm not sure if they add enough extra fun for the amount of extra testing they require. It's a real shame to have people having to retire from the race because of overheating engines, and conversely having some people running slow and uncompetitive because they used a conservative radiator setting.

It was good fun as it messed with tire choice and made different strategies possible. I think we would be better to talk about changing race length for next season rather that temps.

I'm enjoying the weather this season, especially the two forecast system, thanks a lot Daniel.

The first of two forecasts for next weeks race at Abu Dhabi:

The weather is very dry almost always in Abu Dhabi this time of year. Only a minimal chance of rain affecting a day: 1 %. In the case of rain, it will most likely be a shower.

Forecast number two will come tuesday 16:th November at 19:00 UTC (UK time).

The winter weather is mostly dry and cool in the United Arab Emirates, but when a crazy rain strikes it could turn the country into a giant swiming pool ...

Attached some pictures for you Daniel to give you a small hint on how to set the weather for wednesday race :D

but the BBQ will be up and running for all the guys no matter what :cool:

Attachments

• abu dhabi.jpg
    abu dhabi.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 268
  • _44357682_pjackson9_416.jpg
    _44357682_pjackson9_416.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 329
  • _44357683_pjackson10_416.jpg
    _44357683_pjackson10_416.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 287
  • dsc00444.jpg
    dsc00444.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 321
  • flood-al-nahda-rd.jpg
    flood-al-nahda-rd.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 321
  • rain-in-uae-duabi-1.jpg
    rain-in-uae-duabi-1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 363
  • splash-flood-1.jpg
    splash-flood-1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 280
Ha, amazing pics :tongue:. But I haven't looked beyond November for my virtual forecasts. And just 1 % chance of rain per day remaines. But that makes it still possible.

Thanks for the input Nico and Tim. No changes to this race, but after wednesday we can discuss how it's gonna play out for the remainder of the season.

The other thing I was going to mention...

With 24 cars on the grid, once the rain has stopped falling, the drying effect is very very rapid on the racing line. This means two things for us.

- If we want a race where you need to change from wets to inters or drys then there needs to be a lot of water to start. If we started with 50% wetness but no rain, then I would start on dry tires. At Interlagos the only reason to start on inters was if you thought there was going to be further significant rainfall.

- The second issue is more annoying. In a drying scenario, the racing line drys very quickly, but the rest remains wet. That means, overtaking is much more difficult off the line, and any mistake is punished far more harshly than in the dry. Theres one line to race, and when you put a wheel off it, your done.

I would love to see a race with some wild intermittent weather, necessitating some risk taking pit-stops, somebody boldly stays on drys going 5 seconds a lap slower counting on the shower to pass, somebody else grabs the inters believing the rain has set in. (and everybody ends up with 120L of fuel in their tank by mistake after the 3rd tire change.)

Tim.

The schedule to be able to link the forecast to the sessions:

Day 1:
11:00 - Practice
14:00 - Qualifying

Day 2:
11:30 - Warmup
14:00 - Race

The second forecast:

Day 1: No chance of rain.

Day 2: No chance of rain.

Latest News