Season 4 Race 8 Division 1 - Istanbul Post Race

• Martin Flöck

Grats to podium & grats to our new champ chris :)

Sry, i was again not able to race ... ad hoc business trip :frown:

Cyas in Germany :D

Here's my race report.

QUAL. Bad. More than 0.4sec slower than my stable PB.

RACE. Good start, gained one position. After T1 the leading group was far ahead and I was trying to decrease the gap. But in T3 they were fighting with each other and were slow because of it. I was not ready for that and touched Tim. This contact did not let Tim continue the battle with Chris, they were close to each other before the contact. I am really sorry.
After that I found myself in one of the last positions, and began to move ahead little by little. But soon I spun in T1 two times almost in a row. I think I blocked the wheels here.
Anyhow I was able to move ahead and was on 6th pos by Lap 14. But in T10 I lost my front wing and damaged suspension. All I had to do was to go to pits and to think how to change the race strategy.
I fueled till the end and changed tyres to hard compound. After that I had very heavy car, hard tyres, not the best setup and -1 lap. I just had to bring my car to finish line.
On Lap 19 I catched Valter and touched him in the braking zone before T1. Sorry Valter, totally my fault.
10 laps before finish I was catching someone ahead, and someone was catching me from behind. Very stressful laps! I had to be fast enough not to be catched, and not to make any mistake on weared tyres. Finally we (3 cars) finished status quo with ~1sec gap to each other.

So the event was very disappointing. I've practiced a lot here and could fight in top-3.

See you all in Germany!

Jet... In your video @ 0:55 there's a touring car on the track! :woot:

Edit: there it is again @ 5:40

Jim:confused:

That would be me Jim. :redface:

Only the RD League Edition of the Mod includes the Jordan- Peugeot and Brawn's [as cars; not skins]. The public release does not. Dmitry must be running the latter. We had a discussion with Eric over in the Pacific where the same “effect” was noticed.

Eric assured me that I should stick with Peugeot for the season... Nico often frowns on us should we change [or attempt to change] skins mid-season ;-) Messes up his videos.

At least Dmitry can easily spot me in a crowd :cool:

I then put my foot down and was very worried when the fastest I managed was a 24.9.
I was puzzled at this and though maybe it was the different conditions when a few or more cars are present on the track. I started to pull away a good gap from Janek then I had one of those sinking feelings on lap 8 or 9. The car started to behave strangely, the engine dropped 15kph on the straights and the rear end just would not turn in. This lasted like 3-4 laps and I lost some 2-3 secs a lap with a poorly car. This was when engine dropped to 48%
Janek closed up on my fender and I had to try and learn to brake a bit later and swing it into corners.
Thankfully the problem ceased when engine ticked to 45% and I was then able to pull away again...
I pitted on lap 21 as scheduled and then it happened again later in the race when the engine hit 44% health. I was bit more prepared this time but had a nice moment scaring a guy I was lapping when I entered t1 sideways as I locked the rears up :) sorry.
I then coaxed it back across the line.
I should be really really elated but I'm upset with the game and feel pretty bad for Q disconnection saga :redface:
I have attached my motec for my last stint and the race. If anyone could have a look and see if there is something wrong with my pedals or something I have overlooked I would appreciated it.
http://www.zen41562.zen.co.uk/motec.rar
Chris

I've looked at your file Chris and it was the same for me, although i don't have XD so i have no idea about engine health, on lap 9 my car stopped turning in and my lap times went up by 2 secs, I thought I had shot the front tyres, maybe I had? or is there more to it? it was never the same again though even after pitting for new rubber

Jim

More to it I think Jim, as you can see by the two motec files stark difference. Tyre wear is to be expected and set-up for a forgiving drivable car not just for the first 5 laps but the whole stint.
I will put it down to just Istanbul and its stressful corners on the engine, just very strange and lets not forget my randomly exploding engine thread where you can find more info on the health there.
Plain strange

Chris

As i said i don't use the vitmo xd thing, mainly cus it buggers up the steam overlay, i do have motec I2pro but i don't see in that engine health or tyre wear? or am i missing something?

Jim

I use xd and I have not found a log of engine health, brake % etc apart from on this overlay.
sorry cant be of any more help my understanding is amateur at best :)

Chris

PS remember Nurburg event is this Wednesday not next :p

Congrats podium !!

q wasnt to good about half a sec to my pb but happy with 9th

Race start ok lost a place t1 so just set about following the guys infront of me, started with supers and half race fuel was able to keep good pace pitted lap 13 from 5th
onto softs added rest of fuel planning on going til 13 left on sprint on supers to the end. I struggled at end of stint with softs spinning 3 times in last 2 laps of it under braking.
Last stint on supers again pace was maximum i was flying catching guys with 1 stop tires ahead, Dmitry let me by obvioulsy wanting to race his own race instead of defending (thanks for returning favour, i think i did this silverstone for you lol) i also managed to unlap my self with alex thanks mate just wanted to make gap for when supers went off slight at end.
Overall happy with 7th, could have been better without spins and i used auto pits to. I think the manual setup editor ( links to it in manual setup thread ) with weight balance etc helps alot also other extras i didnt know about, 1st race using this. I hope everyone is using it now.

Can wait for next race cyas
Big grats again podium !!!

Race report

Q: Struggled with stringing together a good lap, ended up on a 1.23.39 which is about 0.15 off my PB. Felt I could have done better, but wasn't too disappointed. Gave me 10th, which turned into 9th when Anthony disconnected.

R: Got an OK start, just tried to be very careful and stick to my line through T1. Gained 4 positions when other drivers span out or had contact before Tim overtook me at the end of the first lap. Gained another position in L2T1 where Mark had gone off, so I was back in 5th and fairly optimistic about the race.

Tried to settle down and hoped to gain on Tim and Alex in front when I went wide in T8 in lap 3. This cost me a lot of time and Jim got up behind me. More importantly, the mistake cost me my concentration and I span off a couple of turns later. My struggling to get back on track lost me 9 positions - I was now in 14th and also low on motivation. Forced myself to struggle on.

A small tussle between Peter and Mark in T1 put me up into 12th by lap 4. Dmitry went off in T1L5 so I gained another position, and was starting to enjoy myself again since I had several drivers to battle with in my proximity. Started chasing Andy, and we had a great fight throughout lap 6, switching positions a couple of times. I then passed him into T1 on lap 7. I've just watched the replay and realised that I cut T1 when passing him, and so gained and advantage and should have let him pass. I'll be filing a report to RD with this now.

Mark closed in on me and tried to make a pass after the back straight in L8. I see now that I closed the door too aggressively, and the was some contact. I apologise and I hope you didn't get damage from this Mark, and I'm afraid this contact was what made you spin off right thereafter from loss of concentration. I'll be including this in my steward's report as well.

Then it was Dmitrys turn to chase me, and we had a good battle until he passed me in the last turn in lap 11. Nice move :)

In lap 15 I was 7th because of others misfortunes. Closed in on Valter, which quickly let me by, perhaps he wanted to drive his own race instead of fighting me.

Then I started chasing Jim for 5th, slowly closing in and catching him in lap 29. As he mentioned in his report he let me by fairly easily in the braking zone after the back straight.

From then on it was all just a matter of keeping the car on the road and managing my gap to Jim. Had good fun, and felt good about the race up until now, when I saw the incidents with Andy and Mark. :frown:

Grats to Chris for taking the win and securing the championship title! And grats to all finishers :)

See you in Germany! :cool:

Race Report

Sorry this has been a long time coming. I needed a break after that race!

Qual - Went fairly well all things considered. 4th was close enough to have a good fight with Chris and the time he put down really was beyond me on the day.

Race - Started well maintaining 4th, coming up the hill was a little cautious into the breaking zone and Dmitry gave me a gentle tap and turned me around. No worries Dmitry, just one of those things. Managed to recover from the spin pretty well and stayed in 6th. Passed Rune at the end of the first lap. Soon after Mark spun putting my up to 4th right on Alex tail. I could see Janek and Chris just up ahead so I knew everything was still looking okay, as long as I could get by Alex. Like he said, I was quicker, but he was driving very well, particularly covering the inside well into the final couple of corners. I was very close for a quite a few laps and finally got alongside in the final section. I thought it was going to be a clean move, but I had slight understeer and there wasn't a lot of room to work in and there was a gentle touch which sadly sent Alex off. Sorry about that Alex, I was really enjoying our battle too (though I did have some championship issues on my mind as well!). But before I could miss our battle I lost concentration and dropped to 1st by mistake and spun, as I returned to the track I was super careful not to hit Alex after all we'd been through! We then went about the whole battle again. Finally this time I managed to get by clean.

From there on I was pursuing Janek and Chris, and I whilst I was closing on Janek, the gap was too big and I never really looked like getting him.

Congrats to Chris for the win and Janek for second.

And of course big congrats to Chris for the championship! These last few races Chris and I have pushed each other about as hard as we could. Enjoyed the battle very much and I'm sure I'm a faster driver as a result. Well done Chris, a worthy champion.

Tim.

In lap 15 I was 7th because of others misfortunes. Closed in on Valter, which quickly let me by, perhaps he wanted to drive his own race instead of fighting me.
I think fighting and losing both time and the position is meaningless, I’m sorry I was egoistic. Fact is I could not risk getting involved in something with the low grip I had. I was driving on the limit and you caught up with me very easy.

sorry its late...

race report.

qualified in 11th position, which i had to be happy about, well away from my pb but still pleased none the less....

race starts and i gain a position into t1, someone made a move towards be which put me off the track slightly, i rejoined and made a couple of positions up in the next lap or two with people spinning and colliding, really not much else to report had a decent race, not too many offs or spins, i made 1 dire mistake when going in for my first pit, i smacked the wall on entry which added a good bit of time to fix the suspension damage, i ended up in 10th position at race end which without the suspension damage could well have been an 8th but im happy with my race and the end result.

cya on wednesday guys and congrats to Chris :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 129 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 473 39.0%