Season 16 Race 5 - Bahrain Setup Thread

So, been a noob again, need desperate setup advice on these beasts. I can see from the practice server that i have 10km/h faster top speed, meaning, i'm kind of lost on my setup..

Since tire lockup is a catastrophe, i'm going with quite low brake pressures, i'm assuming this is same with everyone else? I got no reference on anything yet, what braking distances should i hit, how much straight line acceleration/braking need i use or is it better to coast and turn etc etc.. Replays, setups.. and of course fastest way is to meet on track but that is just luck or finding out when regulars have their practicing schedules. I can already drive safe (huh...) , those who remember me knows that i don't have qualifying pace or practice pace nor race pace, it is just one speed, almost no matter how much fuel there is... I'm using 20l now.

But first, setups, i need one, preferably stable, race trim...

edit: ok, getting there, top speed drop/DF increase. I still need to find 2 secs on sector 2 and 1 from sector 1, i should be on pace... I'm still braking very cautiously. But i think i'm doing fine, almost a year since i've really driven, apart from some tinroof stuff in r3e and AC, couple of hours, never driven rF2 and this mod before and after ~30-40 laps i'm about where i was before..

Last edited:
i havent managed to get any practise in yet on bahrain but ill be on tomorrow night and sunday, ill get a setup posted asap.

i think we have some stable setups going now between us all, have a look through the past setup threads of this season, the setups posted in these threads will be evolutions of last seasons so plenty man hours in testing, me personally i settled on a setup i made for a1 ring, ive modified it for each race but it feels a good base for my driving style.

I'll try to get one lap on video that about shows where i am so you can give pointers. I have now decent gaming rig, courtesy of FinGame, GTX660 gpu so i can run rF2 without any worries and enough CPU. Also, 100/20 fiber so latencies are for sure tiny.

Wheel is still in really good condition (well, pretty much all rotating axles have now rolled metal sheets instead plastic to plastic with thick grease to work as friction bearing (or what ever it is in english, two smooth metals sliding against each other separated by a cushion of quite thick grease), the column end bracket that was slightly already cracked after my last season here, now is reinforced with aluminium sheet melted slightly in the plastic taking the force from the screwholes and over (u shape), then the cracks are plastic welded and finally filled with two component epoxy.. I really can't see where it would fail, i even added cooling to the motor :) with left over GPU VRAM coolers.. Pedals are brand new Momo but since they are loaners, i have to treat them lightly (so i can't mod them, i'm gonna miss adjustable pressure and curve*). I've moved from 5% brake sensitivity to 30%, getting used to it takes some time. Throttle is the same and there i have less problems. It is mostly about braking..

* For those that are new to me, first: hi all :) I had pneumatic spring mod prototype on my old pedals, where i ccould adjust pre-pressure (how much force is needed to get any movement from pedals, set at 100g), the total pressure (5kg on brake, 3kg on throttle), how the pressure grows (linked to pre-pressure and the default metal spring force, which is also tweaked for slight pre-pressure... default momo has no pre-pressure so it really starts to move with no force, you can't feel when you are already on the pedal...these loaners are slightly better at that side, they really are quite a lottery what kind you get..).

For sure if i ever get good metal frame pedals, i'm gonna redo the mod but with heavier duty cylinders. It is actually just syringes linked with aquarium hose and two airpsprings (larger cyringe) and lots and lots of rubberbands, it rests on slight overpressure, around that 100g when converted to weight :)

It even used to have link between throttle and brake, it is really really fun with 4WD ;) but doesn't fit anything else... That worked so that when you pressed brake, throttle spring increased, to keep the switch from brake to throttle super smooth; 5% less brakes = 5% more throttle when constant force is exerted by foot shaped object, you can feel how much brake you are using by keeping just a bit throttle, handy at the end of braking, horrible distraction everywhere else as you don't have same forces. Unlinked is better...

Also for new guys: wall of texts, get used to it :)

Last edited:
420degrees Kennett:)

I thought so, i got 270 so the difference between right and wrong is smaller, i need to put some safety margin in the setup :) The difference is like car suddenly lifts its leg, standing on three like dog relieving itself, the effect is that: sudden snap. I can't lower steering angle a lot, these cars need a lot of opposite lock at times, not like F1 of today..

Managed to get on the server without errors, there was some file missing, not it isn't, haven't done anything.. I'll keep watching but at least now i know i can just ignore that error if it pops up. New to rF2, need to learn it's quirks.

How much fuel on the race on one stint? 110? Any advices on pit procedure, i got my nostromo as race/pit control keys, any pointers?

we dont allow refueling so the fuel you take is fuel for the full distance.

pit procedure is pretty much the same as r07, we use pit limiter at all times now, and we always respect the white pit exit line :)

tbh not much has changed in presto rules and weve tried to make races as close as we could to what we all were used to, youll get on just fine :)

if you havent already, instal trackmap, its invaluable for rf2, youll find your average fuel usage per lap on that like we used to with xd mod, on the night there will be help with amount of laps and fuel needed.

heres my setup for bahrain, feels good to me, add fuel for race :)

Tried it, no changes, did under 1:39.8, quite comfortably even. Specially braking was much much easier and exits are totally on driver responsibility. 2nd gear is perfect ;) Can get maybe a second off but it felt like the kind of sustainable race pace for me so that is i guess my target time or very close. I did it in qualy, i don't know yet how much it changes to race but.. i'll rather find ou than be told this time, need to have at least some mystery, i'm trying to take rF2 as experience, so no spoilers ;)

Was receiving an error, some mesh .gmt was not loaded, some model was missing. Now it apparently is there again.. Most likely, it is resolved by reboot for good... Didn't check the name that good, could be in the car as it was "....body...." but one never knows, it could've been some track file too (for ex, if i do animated windmill, i use "body" as the immovable part.. a habit.)

Installed rF2, ASR mod, bahrain, trackmap and nothing else :) Of couse i need trackmap, you know how dependent i was on XD.. I still miss real time delta, it could be somewhere but this is enough for now.

race day the track will start with roughly the rubber thats on the server when you first join now, it wont be set to pick up rubber quite as fast though so the track will evolve from practise to the race, this also has an effect on tyre wear as the sessions go on, you might find you wear the the tyres more in practise with a less rubbered in track where as when race comes the wear might be slightly less due to the rubber laid.

lock ups have a massive effect on tyre life and ffb, try hard not to do it early or youll suffer for a whole stint, apart from that just practise..... de-ja-vu there sorry, but its more apt this time as rf2 takes a bit of getting used to, its took me 4 seasons to be able to 1 stop :laugh:

Yup, tires need to be taken care off.. I just took a 26 lap or something long, as long as there was practice time left ;) 110l of fuel, with 1:43-44 lap times, i'll finish the race. Didn't have huge lockups, couple of spins that didn't ruin the tires, kept them rolling, just slight vibration that went away within a lap. Didn't need to change ties around lap 20 but did it anyway, getting used to new tires took some time.

Tire temps.. wow, HUGE effect.. Not a problem as such, i can manage them but really does mean: don't do burnouts.

Managed to stall engine once, luckily, these cars seem to jump back alive at 10km/h.. And also a good reminder to practice anti-stall reactions: hit stick-shift up, it is right there with left hand, 10cm forward and car is on neutral, it's stick shift so it can be rally smashed in as hard as you want, quite handy. Need to get that reaction back, so it's automatic.. Autoclutch is so out of question with these beasts.

Also: can't not get comfortable, these things bite immediately if you let go of command and relax. Real beast, one sign of weakness and they eat you alive. There is no such overload as i feel with modern F1 that is super precise repeating action followed by quite monotonous and easy stuff, some high speed corners in F1 are.. meh, really, if there wasn't some turning, one can look cartoons.. And then it's fast-fast-fast, no margin of error, little things cost huge sums... These bounce around and slide more so the overall alert level does stay up, you need to drive more. "Rounder" all over, the edge shows it self a bit sooner, modern F1 can just snap..

And the fact that no one can bolt super duper fast from corners or push too hard as tires go away so fast, it is comforting, the car doesn't allow to push as fast as it theoretically can go, excited to see how other have solved that dilemma.. where and how to push without ruining the race.

Really need to get on track with others, to really compare braking curves and distances, i do have long braking distances by default but there is safety concerns if i'm too out of "style"..

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps a ton! Braking distances: i got that part. Apex speed: i need to get better, more precise driving lines. You use that 2nd even more than i assumed and second to last corner i saw it took on 3rd, have thought about that in every place i use 1st/2nd as it is less stressful acceleration, can engage throttle sooner. But i didn't think these have low end torque enough. But yeah, the more i think about and the experience from last night longer session; rear tire spin is almost as bad as lockups. Not that it ruins tires but next turn might lead to catastrophe. That lower gear could help on keeping that apex speed too, carry a bit more speed, i assume.

Really happy that my braking is not entirely wrong, i did work on it first, to get as short as possible first, then how to get there without lockups.

Funny thing is, i can see much less difference now that when we drove race07... The difference is the same in time but braking, acceleration, i used to be totally demoralized "how in the hell..." but now, i know where it is. I will never dare to engage throttle that much or take braking so deep but at least there is not a David vs Goliath type comparison, reverse pun intended.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back