1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Season 14 Race 3 Bahrain - Setup Thread

Discussion in 'Presto GP' started by Nicolas Rouge, Apr 19, 2015.

1. About downforce packages for Bahrain, I tried HDF and MDF and HDF is definitely faster for me (and safer) for a race setup. I don't know about qual setup, maybe ultimate speed is MDF on one lap and light fuel.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes, I'm faster too with MDF on qualy lap and safer in HDF for race pace.If I find a correct setup and am enough confident on myself I might choose the MDF.
    Question about that: can we make the quali lap on MDF, left the game and come back witht the HDF for the race ?
    Anyway with 60% closed brake duct and brake engine on 2, I broke my front-left brake after 40 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David Turnbull

David Turnbull
    PrestoGP Veteran

I think its best you choose what your going to use for the whole event before qualifying as after we will be doing practise starts and warmup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Turnbull

David Turnbull
    PrestoGP Veteran

Here's what I've got so far, using HDF package.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Damn, 45 minutes with BrakeEngine on 1 and again the front-left brake is gone ! Is the tire heat able to make the brake overheating ? Next time I'll try to reduce the duct to 40% !

• Beer Beer x 2
  6. Peter Decker

Peter Decker
    PrestoGP Veteran

whats the brakeengine setting? :)

• Haha Haha x 1
  7. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini
    Premium Member

brakemap on 1 is fine, your duct setting is more important.
    Just take 30 or 40% duct and you should have no problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  8. David Turnbull

David Turnbull
    PrestoGP Veteran

i need some tips on tyre wear guys, either the setups im using or my general style is not well suited to keeping the tyres alive for long periods, what should i change in either to help me?

9. Reduce the camber is helpful to reduce the sliding of the car, and so the wear.It helps me a bit.I presume front tires are more a problem that rear right ?

Anyway if you drive in race like in quali, you will never make a 1 stop race.You set the absolute maximum downforce (I saw that in China with your top speed about 278 km/h on the backstraight when I could go to 292 !), and so you litterally absorb all your tire energy very quickly.
    And you carry ton of speed in corner's entry, but too much I think ! You just have to reduce your pace and change your driving style.

PS: for the 3rd time, after 45 minutes and 40% brake duct, front left have decided to DNF ! :poop:
    I'm really...worry !

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. David Turnbull

David Turnbull
    PrestoGP Veteran

yup fronts are the main problem, my style has always been to turn in early and use the understeer to make apex's, thats still working to be fast over 1 or 2 laps in rfactor2 but over a distance its not, i'll try some of your suggestions i.e cambers and downforce, regards downforce/wings what did you use at china?

• Like Like x 1
  11. 28° front and 53° rear for the race.I had a very good 3rd sector as you've maybe seen, and "poor" 1 and 2, my lap times were not the best, it's clear. But as you can see it was the pace for a 3rd place.
    Look after you front tire temperature, about 180-190° for the outer tire on a corner is too much, I'm around 140° and I think it's good !

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. In Bahrain for me it helped allot to reduce the damper settings (on this bumpy track).
    But refering to my race pace in the past i`m maybe not the best source for tips :laugh:

Martin

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 2
  13. In some turns (T13 in Shanghai, T6/T7 at Interlagos) you can really hurt you front tires when understeering because of the speed. In those turns you really need to avoid understeering as much as possible, and for that a technique is to open the wheel a little (ie reduce wheel angle) when you feel the understeering, and then, once you find the grip again (the wheel FFB becomes harder), you can increase the wheel angle a little without loosing the grip.

There are other sources of tire degradation (wheel spin, wheel blocking under braking, and slides) but those are easy to avoid.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Peter Decker

Peter Decker
    PrestoGP Veteran

When I've heard the sky f1 commentators about China, they always stressed the importance of letting the diff setting make a over-steering balance. On power out of corners I can see how that is made, but on corner entry?

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. David Turnbull

David Turnbull
    PrestoGP Veteran

I just noticed I've been using 380 degrees steering too, thats certainly not helping with understeer, can't even remember why I'd changed that, I was using 420 degrees for Melbourne and Sepang so that could be a big clue as to why my wear has went through the roof last 2 tracks.

Thanks for the suggestions too I'll try everything here :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. On corner entry I would say that the higher rotation pace for the outer wheel gives the car more speed without turning too much the wheel, but I don't really understand that setting on the FR 3.5 (it's just theory), I just always put it on 35% for both power and brake and increase the preload to 0.5mm, for every track.And it makes the work...I think !

• Like Like x 2
  17. To illustrate what I said, here is the telemetry on me taking the T13 at Shanghai, during the race (lap 15). I "opened" the wheel twice, it has an immediate effect on tire temp (so on tire wear), but not on yaw speed... telemetry.png

• Beer Beer x 2
  18. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini
    Premium Member

There are some specific corners on every track where it pays to slow down on entry even if you could take it faster. Reason is not only the tire temperture in this particular moment, but even moreso the fact that the tire doesn't properly cool down anymore afterwards.

Bahrain is quite easy on the front-tires, but the rears get used a lot with all the accelerating out of slower turns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Finally 20% for the brake duct is the right setting to complete the race.Speaking of, I ran with a 29° temperature (by default), what will be the temperature and the time (I mean game clock) for the race ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini
    Premium Member

My setup for Bahrain is HERE

FYI, If there is barely a difference to the one of the previous track, I won't post the same copy every time.

@Nicolas Delamare Did you look at your peak brake temperatures, what do they show for you? It shoudn't be that much higher than usual; Austria for example was harder for the brakes.

• Like Like x 2