Season 12 Race 3 Sepang Setup Thread

hdS6WYU.png

Two long straights, medium to fast corners.. Easy to push tires too hard and too hot. Somehow i see this as 2 stopper track but i could be wrong. Not very bumby, couple off camber corners. I got mixed feelings, i like the layout but i have never ever figured out T11, awfully slow there (and a bit slow in T8..). T13-14 is important and challenging, i like that place even thou i'm slow there but at least my exit is good.

I Had a small run tonight with old setup and worked quite well worth remembering theres previous seasons setups etc for this seasons tracks along with vids might be worth a look.

As for t8 and t11 Kennet, Steady and slower entry to t7 I think makes it easy to power out full speed of t8, and for t11 just be slower on entry than you think you have to be and this will get you early on the power and make corner seem easier :thumbsup:.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/season-10-race-5-sepang-setup-thread.66779/#post-1402733

I see what you mean with T11, T8 never was a problem, it's just challenging corner, dancing on the limits or take it safely.. T11 i solved with gearing, 2nd gear and i can not enter too fast, i can switch to 3rd right away. My 1st gear is not a launch gear, allthou i seemed to get pretty darn competitive launches with long 1st gear.. 2nd gear is often used for shortshifting, it sits really close to 1st. Really fine setup overall, it's stiffer version of David with emphasis on low speed rear grip and understeering aero. The aero balance is pretty critical, just one click will solve the need for more turn in at high speed corners.

EDIT, added 003 version: A bit modified setup, taking those wonderful short races in to account. It needs a bit different drivingstyle, braking is done with balanced car (you could brake with hands off the wheel...straight line braking) then a bit understeering entry that nicely turns in to quite a bite, car straight again on exits. If ain't balanced, like T7-8 for ex, which i took on 4 wheel drift, yeah, that's confidence in the handling, which is better when you stiffen a bit on the springs, just be careful, load the rear before unleashing full power. Seems to suit for dirty air attacks, that amount of front downforce loss is exactly how much you don't need to worry about with exit throttle, just full on power and overtake at the next hairpin or similar.. S curves with careful entry, good switch, maybe even inside curb and full on power. Managed to go under 1:49, that's good. Using that first gear on first two turns.. oh man, does it turn.. feels like there's a pivot point right under my ass. Can consume fuel, it's high rev, i might play with engine mapping to get better fuel economy.

Attachments

• 002.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 003.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Got my PB tonight with this setup. Though i sure am able to match this time with lower wings, but i am much more constant with high wings, 23/26 in this case. After reviewing this video, i can see that sector 2 is far from perfect....

With rain to come, setup will have to be adjusted accordingly IMO. But anyway, i was just proud to beat my old PB and thoguth i would share :)

Steeve

Attachments

• 2014-03-26.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 247
Re-mapped version, more suitable for wet than previous ones. Engine and brake mapping set to zero, all actions happens 7500RPM and up. Feels like there's no power but boy, does this thing launch.. It's my personal preference, i tend to push too long a the final stage of braking, tailbraking, that is, finding it hard to hit that target speed and not go under or worse, just above it.. So decreasing the amount of throttle lets me decide better when to reapply it and i apply it sooner. You can do the same on acceleration by just tweaking the controller sensitivity, engine brake mapping is different thing. The engine has more peak power but less overall torque, it doesn't change the total maximum power output, just maps it to happen at higher revs..

Pros: Revs closer to together in all stages of cornering. Less lockups caused by rev mismatches. Good acceleration and full throttle can be applied everytime you're below 7500RPM

Pro and con: tighter gearing, less launch speed (marginal) but better acceleration with equal top speed.

Con: bogging down on too low gear out of habit. We listen to rev sound and one has to adjust ears for new engine mode. Also, more fuel consumption, depending how one applies throttle during entry and midcorner and hits all peak revs in all gear during straights.. Also spinning on high revs, just before gear change. The torque curve is more "peaky" and the importance of hitting max revs combined: 2nd gear, even 3rd gear spins. Tough on wet weather..

So there's probably enough cons for this to be the weapon of choice for everyone. But something i'll use in the future. If there seems to be a need for low rev torque, i apply engine mapping immediately.

Attachments

• 004 mapped wet.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Rob Wilson once again points to the most important places in the track. Note, he is commenting on 2014 F1, the drivinglines on those are more "jagged", straight entry, quick rotation, straight exit. F3000 doesn't have enough torque to justify that, it' doesn't accelerate as fast as it should so carrying the speed (i think) is more important for us. I've done so for few weeks, during the off-season changes to driving style, i try to make the braking always on zero steering angle, so that i could take my hands off the wheel. It's a bit of change, using steady load on, ie the same car balance thru the corner maybe suits F3000 better, the feedback is constant, you are leaning on that FFB torque to give you feedback. Flat car, then trailbrake and the feedback comes with a delay, mass of the car needs to shift but at the same time your rotating the car. But straight entry does mean ridiculously short braking distances..

Last edited:
Awesome stuff David, nice work! :)

A little info on the car, just in case anyone finds this interesting or helpful. Aero maps for the 24/25 wings in David's last setup.

Total lift coefficient. Lower is better.
TurnbullAeroMapS12_DF.PNG

Downforce distribution. % on front axle
TurnbullAeroMapS12_Bal.PNG

This is one thing I have to praise the F3000's aero on. It's strange how the downforce just builds up more and more with ground clearance, but it does require a genuine balance. That 2cm-3cm rake seems to be the key area to make the most of.

Awesome stuff David, nice work! :)

A little info on the car, just in case anyone finds this interesting or helpful. Aero maps for the 24/25 wings in David's last setup.

Total lift coefficient. Lower is better.
TurnbullAeroMapS12_DF.PNG

Downforce distribution. % on front axle
TurnbullAeroMapS12_Bal.PNG

This is one thing I have to praise the F3000's aero on. It's strange how the downforce just builds up more and more with ground clearance, but it does require a genuine balance. That 2cm-3cm rake seems to be the key area to make the most of.

Ah, interesting! Will def. look into that. Not that I regard myself as a setupper nor have time for this, but hey, one has to prioritize time on interesting stuff, right? :)

But the 2-3 cm optimal balance-idea - isnt that vastly depending on track/weather/splitter/wing/driving-style/more?

Peter - What you settle on can depend on your own driving style and preferences, yeah. As if you have a setup that works well while level, then that'll likely be screwed up by just pitching the car forwards.

Though, it may be worth persevering with it and working around it. Good underbody use can enable you to take one or two clicks off the wings and still get the same downforce you started with.

My main theory I always do this with is if we can identify ideal areas for certain elements on the car, then that helps us design setups that 100% optimize them. And from there, we can search for balances for other things, such as mechanical balance. But to do that, it helps to know what a perfect setup for either is :)

Nicolai - Yeah, ride heights. Along the X axis is front ride height, and the Y axis rear ride height. Then the lift coefficient is newtons of force per (airspeed [m/s])^2.

Nicolai - Yeah, ride heights. Along the X axis is front ride height, and the Y axis rear ride height. Then the lift coefficient is newtons of force per (airspeed [m/s])^2.

Does this mean that with David's setup you'll get the greatest downforce (-1.953) with 8cm front and 10cm rear ride hight? As I seem to remember this doesn't create drag, so only negative is a higher centre of gravity? (I thought in gerneral that the lower ride hight the higher suction/downforce).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 40.0%