Season 12 Race 2 Melbourne Setup Thread

hopefully manage to get on more in the next few days, hardly had time to practise for this yet, done around 20 hotlaps and still nowhere near guus' time, its a good'un :thumbsup:

EDIT: down to 1.36.7 so far, really struggling to find anymore time here, im trying guus im trying :D
Its so difficult to get a perfect lap together:coffee: I just did a 1:36.669, perfectly legal this time, with a great 1st and 2nd sector. Then I lost nearly 2 tenths in the final sector while gloating over my split time:redface:
I find myself struggling with the 1st corner, if I get a perfect line it can gain me over a tenth compared to what I usually get, but its a rarity.

i dont know if this is the right place to discuss an incident from the race a few minutes ago.

but after having a look at the incident in the first lap with bob i really think i am not the one to blame.

the first move from me was optimistic and i could have backed out before. but the huge incident after that is not my fault. i left space and got pushed by bob and not the other way around in my opinion.

still sry. after seeing it i wouldnt try the first move again ....

next time it will be better

greetings
julius

Since it is the same circuit and same people that will race in two days, I find very useful to report here.

First one is "You always have to leave space” (Alonso TM). I am not sure if you did exactly the same to me in race 1 (and because I was not sure I waited after contact).

Second one is so slight that half of it is probably due to lag. You squeezed Bob a bit, but maybe you were sliding, don't know.

But what is awesome is when you decide to activate the warp drive and get out of there
:roflmao:

Total confusion on who's who.

Last edited:
My take on the incident between Bob and Julius
I was driving behind you Julius, and my instant reaction was that you created the situation. When I look at your video however I think I agree with you, the first attempt was a bit bold, especially for lap 1 while the contact further down the road you do not seem to be doing anything wrong (you were aware that Bob was comming on the inside and left space).

First one is "You always have to leave space” (Alonso TM). I am not sure if you did exactly the same to me in race 1 (and because I was not sure I waited after contact).

Second one is so slight that half of it is probably due to lag. You squeezed Bob a bit, but maybe you were sliding, don't know.

But what is awesome is when you decide to activate the warp drive and get out of there :roflmao:

sry if i didnt left you enough space in race one. i cant remember that incident but if i didnt leave you space i am really sry for that. i am always trying to leave other drivers space.

are you aware of the fact that i am the black car in the video and had the outside line in the incident with bob? i honestly dont know where i squeezed him or where i should have gone, the only way for me to avoid that incident would have been by leaving the track.

it was probably a racing incident and it was really unlucky, we touched and then my car turned left, i couldnt do much about it at that point.

again, as nicholai said, and he is totally right with it, i was the one who created the situation. i am aware of that. i should have braked 30 meters before in the first corner, and it probably wont happen again.

anyway, still a fun race and i guess i learned something in it.

cu guys tomorrow :)

My opinion on the accident:
First part: I agree with you both that the first move was too optimistic. Prestogp ethics is that you should let Bob pass you back.

2nd part: Yes you did leave room to Bob, but maybe he was expecting even more room, cos the normal line makes you go 2 wheels over that right curb (my nomal line anyway), and you had all 4 wheels inside. Also maybe Bob was expecting you to let him pass back?!?!? I don't know. But if i was Bob, thats what i would have expect you to do.

I know that after being hit, frustration level increase by a few steps for me :) But that is racing, and we will always have racing situations like that.

Thats a very good thing that you took time to bring that incident up Julius :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Steeve

Well, I really don't want to make a big deal out of a club race, lag played a part of it because my front wheel is further ahead of his in T4 when contact was made in my replay but I don;t have the time to make a video of my replay @ 5760x1080 in Fraps and then render it down to a downloadable size.

1) I think the T3 pass on Lap 1 over aggressive and contained contact, He was slow coming off and I got inside him on T4.
2) I came out of T4 a tighter than normal line that I find curious some called wide in previous comments. Julius's line had all 4 tires inside the line which I would call tighter than normal line for that corner. In my opinion there was plenty of track available for both of us.
3) Our front wheels contacted. Who initiated the contact and who had the right to that position is endlessly debatable
4) What is not debatable is that the result sucked. I was pushed into and over the wall leaving my car spinning in never never land with no opportunity whatsoever to continue the race in any capacity.
5) Racing in a manner that puts someone completely out of a race before T5 is unnecessary. The endlessly debatable T4 would have been totally avoided without T3.

Last edited:
It is very good to discuss the incident here, because it is avoidable and as Bob sais, had a hopeless outcome.

I see a contributing factor is a difference in race line after t4, personally I don't cross the white line at all there (like Julius in the video), so for me it looks like Julius leaves close to a maximum of room. (but I understand others have a wider line there)

This incident could be avoided twice (or three times)
-Through not going for the pass in t3 in the first place (as Julius agrees to)
-For Bob to quickly swallow his irritation and not gamble on passing back in t4

A third possibillity is for Julius to go wide in t4 to allow Bob ahead and defuse the situation.

Bottom line is that getting everyone through in one piece is more important for all than gaining or losing a place or 3 :thumbsup:

[quote="Nicolai Nicholson, post: 1665400, member: 564"-
-For Bob to quickly swallow his irritation and not gamble on passing back in t4[/quote]

Bob was not irritated after T3, I was busy driving and "had nothing to swallow". Bob was not irritated until his race ended spinning in never never land on the other side of the wall. Bob had no choice but to go inside in T4 because Julius was slow coming off of his T3 maneuver while despite the contact I carried more speed coming out of T3 and was past him by the T4 turn in. Had Bob not been pushed off the course (I didn't drive there myself), I was yielding the position @ T5 since I knew we would come out of T4 close to even giving him the inside line to T5, but I never got that chance. I didn't get the chance to race either.

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to imply that you were irritated, my point was ment to be that what happened in t3 didn't need to result in the devistating contact in t4. With a much more crowded grid on Wednesday, such an incident has the potential to ruin the race for a lot of drivers.

If half the grids racing line is 1-2 meters wider than the other half's in t4 that can become a problem (as demonstrated in this incident).

Bob was not irritated after T3, I was busy driving and "had nothing to swallow". Bob was not irritated until his race ended spinning in never never land on the other side of the wall. Bob had no choice but to go inside in T4 because Julius was slow coming off of his T3 maneuver while despite the contact I carried more speed coming out of T3 and was past him by the T4 turn in. Had Bob not been pushed off the course (I didn't drive there myself), I was yielding the position @ T5 since I knew we would come out of T4 close to even giving him the inside line to T5, but I never got that chance. I didn't get the chance to race either.

i still take blame for leading us into that situation. i am the one who forced us to go side by side in to t4. and as i said multiple times before, after seeing it now it was an overly aggressive move which i wouldnt make again. sometimes while racing it feels different. and at that moment it didnt feel like that to me.

but you are right with your comment before. if i would not have made that move, we wouldnt have been in that situation. but i made the move and while racing i didnt feel guilty. it didnt feel that aggressive in that particular moment. i think i learned that lesson. :thumbsup:

as you said you had the better exit of turn3. but the one thing i where i dont agree with you is that you were past me at turn in on t4.
iJkkPk4.png

we went through turn 4 side by side. when we touched we still were side by side, maybe there was some lag and you were upfront 1 wheel at your place, but at my place we were completely side by side.
ueLmmDZ.png

i reviewed the incident a lot of times now, and i still think i left enough space. i could have gone wide with 2 wheels over the line but i really didnt think you would come that "wide" at exit while going wheel to wheel with another driver in that particular corner.

to you it felt like you have been pushed out of the track. but the only reason we both were crashing into the barrier was the touch at exit. i couldnt keep control over my car after that touch and it turned/slided in on you and both of us crashed into the wall. (kind of a miracle i survived that one) i didnt turn my wheel in on you. i wanted to accelerate in a straight line leading to t5.

again, i still see it as my fault for being in that situation. i should have backed out and let you the upper hand.
but if we watch at the t4 incident on its own (as it is a racing situation where somebody could run into in the race) i dont see it as my fault that we both touched and crashed into the barrier.

i probably will adjust my line through that corner this evening to use more of the curbs, and i will hope that it wont happen again.

cu in the evening guys.

julius

i'll make a small comment on the incident, i think what julius says is 100% right, he shouldve backed out of the t3 move, its alot like my pass on guus but guus was aware to the situation and didnt turn in on me, t3 couldve been avoided but t4 i feel is more bobs place to stay tight round t4, bobs trajectory at turn in is only leaving him 1 exit line and thats where julius is putting his car, this cant come down to having julius go off track that part is very slippery and couldve resulted in julius spinning towards bob either way.

to sum my feelings up i think julius shouldve backed out of t3 and i think bob shouldve held a much tighter line at t4 i dont see anything julius did wrong on t4 :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 40.0%