Season 11 race 8 Imola setup

Thank you for the advice Peter.

I have had Race 07 for a little more than two years, but I have always driven the tin-tops like WTCC. After all this time, I know the ins and outs of those cars pretty well, it's just I never paid much attention to the F3000 car or any other open-wheeler for that matter. So yes, it is just a matter of always practicing and improving.

Yeah, before the start of this season at presto, I had never been in a serious f3000 race. I had pretty much only raced WTCC in Swedish leagues. The handling of these cars are really really different, so it will come to ya :)

Of course once you are on the good track for a decent time, braking later will gain you time, but when you are stuck with a shabby time, I would try the precise opposite. Sometimes braking earlier and more lets me accelerate earlier and improve my PB.

Absolutely! It is a balance of everything - especially mentally. It is easy to get stuck into the same brake-points, gears, lines and everything. Then I take a break for something else than water to stir things up. :whistling:

Seriously, it works. :)

If you are relatively new to a kind of cars, I recommend you to watch the fast drivers and to find out how they drive through particular sections. I did this from the beginning and it helped me a lot.

When I started with Race07 I got to see a lap from Attila Domian at Brno. After trying to immitate his way of driving (braking points, downshifting, line and gear choice, trying to achieve same corner speeds, etc.) I was nearly as fast as he for one quick lap (out of very much quick laps :whistling:).

Since you get all the good setups here and very often good hot lap videos, this should be a good way to learn from (not saying it's the only way).

When I started with Race07 I got to see a lap from Attila Domian at Brno. After trying to immitate his way of driving (braking points, downshifting, line and gear choice, trying to achieve same corner speeds, etc.) I was nearly as fast as he for one quick lap (out of very much quick laps :whistling:).

Attila Domian you say, who is he? Like Greger Huttu, or what's his name? :)

Well done Peter :), I see a few wides and 1 cut i think downhill left after chicane obviously gain a little time in each as reasons said before.
Also fyi if I notice a wide or cut currently i usually abort the lap I was close to getting around a 33.1 last night with no cuts or wides just couldn't get lap together and I guess with a few wides no cuts I estimate 32s are possible.

On videos I use frap's and winavi which I found on the internet cheap :whistling: to encode the 1080p massive frap's file to just around 700mb file for 4/5 min's instead of 20+ gb

Nice! I will check the internet for cheap options for my student-budget ;)

Yeah, in the first of the two left-handers I felt front-right was clearly outside. Hard to really see in the low quality clip. But I will try to beat you all before the race, heck, this time I shall be the greatest! (Mohammed Ali anyone? :D)

So, seriously about the wides. Have we come to a conclusion about what is and what is not ok? At Imola it is key, I feel.

So, seriously about the wides. Have we come to a conclusion about what is and what is not ok? At Imola it is key, I feel.

There's never been a new conclusion on this matter. So as long as there's no white bondary line in a complete stupid place we follow the RD-rule, which says you always have to keep at least two wheels inside the white lines.

However I think we also accept to be legal if there are at least two wheels on the white line, because we consider the white line to be part of the track (correct me anyone if I got that wrong).

Since we have no penalty system and a high standard in respect and fair play, we trust in each one's attitude to follow this rule as strictly as possible. Nevertheless nobody's perfect, so we don't punish everyone for accidentically braking this rule slightly.

If a driver notices an unintended cut or wide in qualy, which may result in a resonable time gain, he should punish himself (for example by lifting the throttle for a moment or so). But that's hard to judge and I'm sure we won't argue about 1 or 2 millimeters but clear violations of the rule, because in the end we still want to enjoy the thrill of racing (again please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited:
Basically what Reik Said :thumbsup:^ The most important time for this is q for the race obviously. We always followed as Reiks states so this is why its important to practise the racing line aiming to be on or inside the white line, this will put you in best place for q. Also this help's people know what to practise with little checking of forums etc.

What I was talking of in my post was any possible future change in our league's perception of the rule but not for this race. This race we treat as normal, as any change even if last week would be unfair to what people had already been practising :thumbsup:.

My 32.9 lap fyi I had 2 slight wides :redface: and slight slow exit last chicane lost small time upto line, I now think i could manage a 32.7 or so perfect lap on or inside the white lines.

Looking at the time sheet this competion really goes crazy (in a positive way). :thumbsup: :whistling: Amazing what's possible at this track and how close we are. (Just wonder how Jere put his time in)

lol bloodhound ?
bloodhound-SSC-011.jpg

Ok, thanks for response Reik, David and Sean!

Imola really is one of my favourite tracks. It is similar to Suzuka in many ways, unforgiving but oh so rewarding if you can find a blance between true grip feel and "rational" planning throughout the whole race. One of the most focus demaning tracks I'd say!

Haha yeah, Jere, "accidently missed" the last chicane, thinking it was the newer Imola? :roflmao:

Btw concering aliens - I googled this about Huttu yesterday. Pretty inspirational. Just go to the gym, guys! :thumbsup: http://www.iracing.com/greger-huttus-nearly-perfect-adventure/

Looking at the time sheet this competion really goes crazy (in a positive way). :thumbsup: :whistling: Amazing what's possible at this track and how close we are. (Just wonder how Jere put his time in)
Jere sent me a message last week:
Big cut! Big cut! please remove my time!

I'm very sorry about that :(

Regards

Jere
Been so busy lately, so have not come around to it, but I did it now.

White line rule: For me this is a discussion about "deviation from our intentions". If you intended racing line leaves 1mm margin to cutting and running wide, you most likely will do so a number of times in the race, but the majority will be legal. Iow I think regardless we should always aim to have 2 wheels touching the white line. And as the guys sais, in qualify and hotlapping we need to be particularly strict with ourselves.

Last edited:
If you are relatively new to a kind of cars, I recommend you to watch the fast drivers and to find out how they drive through particular sections. I did this from the beginning and it helped me a lot.

That is some good advice Reik, thank you and everyone else for all the helpful information:thumbsup:. I already do a lot of this stuff such as what Reik is talking about in the above quote. Basically, I just need to practice, get my confidence with these cars up and learn new techniques about driving them. I think with enough time, I will get really good at these cars.

For example, at the start of this year I could not even match pace with the AI at Brands Hatch WTCC when they were set to 92%. Now, I'm to the point where I can beat them at 100% if I have a proper setup:cool:.

In regard to the discussion about cutting, I don't think it will make much of difference for me because I would still be so slow:roflmao:. Seriously though, whenever I practice offline I always have cutting rules on. Whenever I get that message saying I exceeded the tracks limits, I give myself a mental note not to do that next lap. Running with cutting rules (I think) has helped improve my consistency at Imola.

Jere sent me a message last week...

Knowing Jere as the same kind of gentleman as we are I had no doubt there's a logical explaination about that. That's why I had no fear raising my question out of curiousity. Thanks for your response Nico. :thumbsup: And in case Jere reads this - no badly intended blame on you mate. ;)

White line rule: [...] If you intended racing line leaves 1mm margin to cutting and running wide, you most likely will do so a number of times in the race [...]

I'm not sure if you got me wrong in the first place or if I get your above sentence wrong now. :rolleyes:

However to explain it better, I meant if someone cuts or goes wide by 1 or 2 millimeters only very few times I'm sure we won't kill or punish him but if we notice big cuts and wides, we would have to talk about his intention.

So personally for me this doesn't mean that I always aim to hit the white line exactly with two wheels, because this would definitely lead into too many cuts and wides. So I always aim for a bigger safety margin.

If I remember my race style well, I think I aim to take the white line into the middle of my car or in other words I try to cross it only with one half of the car... (if the particular place allows to do so, of course)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back