Season 11 race 8 Imola setup

Sean Greenlaw

PrestoGP Veteran
Here's my setup and hotlap, tricky laps here getting power on and also intense with only small break on pit straight everywhere else your busy. Also a track where the white line rule is important, but also quite easy to go wide in place's, full concentration needed :thumbsup:.
Edit: Its also made from my singapore as a base If some want to start with that.

Attachments

• imola 4.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
One way to do it is to capture throttle and brake pedals from MoTec, edit it (crop and sync) and superimpose on the video. It's not a lot of work, syncing can sometimes be a hassle since the two captures are not in frame sync, it can have offset of 0.1-0.2s.

Here is a video of my PB recorded on PrestoGP web site, 1:33:623.

From my cockpit i was sure there was no cut in it, but to make sure i thought i should watch the replay. What i found is that my cockpit view really doesn't give the same look as the top view.

From cockpit, when i see my tires on the white line, they are actually beyond the line. Now i know why i thought i had very few cuts at singapore but in fact i had quite a lot. :(

So i think its important for those who are not aware of the "cockpit view illusion" to have a look at this video and figure out where are the limits.

You will see that my driving style is VERY different from Sean, even though laps have just 0,2 sec difference, But Sean had no cuts.:thumbsup:

NIcolai, feel free to erase my PB on PrestoGP web site due to these cuts. Unless you find that they are "acceptable". I evaluate them as a possible gain of 0,1 - 0.2sec total

Finally, here is my setup. Its based from Sean's suzuka with only wings and gear changes, thanks Sean :thumbsup:

Steeve :)

Attachments

• seans_steeve imola.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 253
If it is hard to tell if one are on or off the track I use the freecam, if I see something between the white line and wheel I am off the track. Iow it is a bit hard to tell from some of Steeve's video.

Also, like Alberto, I differ between cuts and wides. I've always felt that cuts (making track shorter) are worse than wides.

Having said all this, I am happy as long as all try to stay on track and succeed most of the time.

Earlier I have tried (without success) to legalise wides in areas where it doesn't make sense to speculate in it (where it is only possible to run a few cm wide, but any more and you are off). The reason for this is that I see as few rules as possible as a good thing.

If it is hard to tell if one are on or off the track I use the freecam, if I see something between the white line and wheel I am off the track. Iow it is a bit hard to tell from some of Steeve's video.
I realized that when i was almost done with the video, and i didn't had the motivation to spend some extra time catching different views and include them in my video. But yeah, free cam would give a better result than the cam i used.

Anyway my main point was not to show if i did cut or not, it was to show that its sometimes difficult to know if you cut from cockpit view.

Steeve

Ye i think Steeve's wasn't all that bad cuts wides only 1 really at chicane really gained anything.
We have raced the white line rule for so long its usually fine most track's and just the odd few where it makes any odds. Like here you are able to put car alot wider than most kerb's in other tracks and still have quite good grip and this will gain a small amount of time just with being able to carry extra speed through them.

We could approach it with normal white line rule in chicane's and for the single corner wides race more counting the kerb as part of the line this is more along the lines of f1s rule's, although they are sometimes quite vague rulings if you understand what I'm meaning. This would mean alot less pressure for everyone to try and stay within a line of a few inches to aiming for kerb which is itself maybe 3, 4 times as thick as the white line which makes it easier. It being more track limits like Nico says controlling where we drive. Or like inside corner white line and outside corner kerb.
article-2320375-19A68C0D000005DC-489_634x443.jpg

^ that kind of thing.

If we took it as kerb is part of line everywhere including chicanes it wouldn't be such a bad thing either but would mean more time to be gained in them in comparison.
Also though in future we may come across tracks where this would possibly be a touch to far with perhaps some really large kerb's at some tracks.

Wow! I made a lap .003 faster than the fastest, Sean, with Sean's setup :D

I have never uploaded a vid at youtube, will try using fraps. Would be interesting to get your input on any cuts/wides. I think I made some mistakes that should not be included for that matter, but some cut/wide where time both could be won/lost. I think the idea of strict white-line rule through chicanes and a little more liberate on single corner-wides as above F1 IRL picture, is a pretty good idea.

Well done Peter :), I see a few wides and 1 cut i think downhill left after chicane obviously gain a little time in each as reasons said before.
Also fyi if I notice a wide or cut currently i usually abort the lap I was close to getting around a 33.1 last night with no cuts or wides just couldn't get lap together and I guess with a few wides no cuts I estimate 32s are possible.

On videos I use frap's and winavi which I found on the internet cheap :whistling: to encode the 1080p massive frap's file to just around 700mb file for 4/5 min's instead of 20+ gb

Last edited:
Maybe this works?

I used Free AVI/... Joiner with standard youtube setting. A little low fps but I guess the main things get through :)

I had fraps at 60fps full res. But those avi files were at 25 GB. How to get those 1080p youtube clips without paying money for premium software and without huuuge file sizes? =)
I use fraps to record videos and AVS4YOU to create my movies. I can choose about any format and quality with it, but it's a software i payed 60$. You can probably use windows movie maker to do the same job. For example, a 10 minute video on very top quality (M2TS) is about 1,5GB. For a high quality (avi, wmv, etc) (1080p), its about 500MB.

How are you guys so fast around Imola?:confused:

With this setup, I was able to manage a 1:36:9 in time attack. Now, I did not make this setup, I got it from a setup pack from Nogripracing. I just changed the gears and the name. Anyways, it is pretty stiff, but I am still adjusting to these cars so I am opting more for comfort than speed:redface:. I feel with a bit more practice, I can get this into about 1:36:2 and maybe average in the 1:37s in the race.

Attachments

• Fat3000.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 241
How are you guys so fast around Imola?:confused:

With this setup, I was able to manage a 1:36:9 in time attack. Now, I did not make this setup, I got it from a setup pack from Nogripracing. I just changed the gears and the name. Anyways, it is pretty stiff, but I am still adjusting to these cars so I am opting more for comfort than speed:redface:. I feel with a bit more practice, I can get this into about 1:36:2 and maybe average in the 1:37s in the race.

I have put around 1600 hours into this simulator. The one and only rule is to practice racing skills by driving a lot and just keep pushing. It is like going to school. It's good to have a short break after some serious driving-technique practice like 30 minutes. Then you take some fresh air, no alcohol (if you want to remember anything), some water and not too much coffee.

Then just constantly evaluate if you feel there is a little more to the limit the car can handle.

The main concept for me: let other guys do the setupping, and then take enough time to ADAPT your driving technique.

Always try to brake later, brake less, trail-brake and use neutral throttle in mid-corner, carry maximum speed through corner and then throttle to max as smooth yet fast and early as you can. The key is smoothnes without need for corrections like steering opposite direction due to rear loss, or having to lift throttle a bit after you have begun to throttle down max.

Try Sean's, David's, Reik's setups as a start as I do, try some laps at each as you cycle through them (dont just try them once), then decide for one of them, dont do more adjusting before you feel you have managed to really push the max limits of the original setup, then MAYBE adjust ONE CLICK of wings/gears/brake-balance and such.

Practice makes perfect. To gain one tenth just in one corner is a success worth celebrating with a 2002-years champagne.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back