SEASON 11 Race 6 WATKINS GLEN GP INCIDENT REPORT

ts 289 : incident with Alex and Bob Luneski
Entirely my fault, hopefully with consequences only for myself : trying to pass Alex on the inside in T8 (lap 2), I hit him and nearly sent him spin. Bob couldn't avoid hitting me since I he was close behind and my speed dropped a lot after the tap to Alex. It sent me spin in the grass and I had to wait for all the pack before reentering the track. Sorry guys for that.

No other incidents to report.

I saw in the map that two cars were going to lap me, then I got the blue flag warning. This was just before the penultimate corner, and because there were two cars with only 5 min of race left I wanted to let both through in a single move.

My idea was to hug tight the inside of the turn so they could pass on the outside and be in the right side for the last corner. Thus I took the inside line and tried to keep the car there. However, I went a little bit wider than I wanted to (towards mid-lane) and Reik must have thought I was moving to the outside, because he tried to pass me on the inside, touched me and unfortunately was race over for me.

I will try to get video later.

I am an incident...

...totally lost record of time when I was checking the settings before start. So 5 seconds before start I panically joined.

Sorry for all the trouble I am sure I made... wont happen again.

I've had it too. Now i don't sit down in the race seat before a minute to start (so.. around 1:10-1:20). It's so easy to get so uber focused and use that concentration on some frivolous crap. I have to have this slight feeling of being late so i don't have time to think about setup, fuel tactics etc.. It's just check&go. It's horrible sinking feeling to see that you got 10 seconds and you're not sure if fuel is set...

small incident with reik, i think i turned into him and he to me slightly, he let me back past which i dont know was the right call, ill check it later, but hopefully not too much harm done.

Lap 3, TS 355:

At this moment it felt like I might have "used" your car to hold the inside line, even though I was still one gear lower than usually and ready to hold the inside line. I was unsure if I was at fault or not, so I thought it was best to give you back position and go on in the order we had before that incident... ;)

I saw in the map that two cars were going to lap me, then I got the blue flag warning. This was just before the penultimate corner, and because there were two cars with only 5 min of race left I wanted to let both through in a single move.

My idea was to hug tight the inside of the turn so they could pass on the outside and be in the right side for the last corner. Thus I took the inside line and tried to keep the car there. However, I went a little bit wider than I wanted to (towards mid-lane) and Reik must have thought I was moving to the outside, because he tried to pass me on the inside, touched me and unfortunately was race over for me.

I will try to get video later.

Lap 34, TS 3505:

First of all I'm very sorry to be part of ending your race. :(

However I think the simplest solution would have been that you just take those two fast corners at your normal race speed and allow lapping on the following straight.

From my point of view it looked strange that you leave the race line before the second last corner, even though I wasn't close enough to lap you before this corner. Then you enter it from a deep inside line so I was sure you have to go wide due to that bad entering angle. So I took the corner the exact different way to pass you on the inside line after the apex. It wasn't predictable to me, that you slow down so much to take an inside line too. :( I could just give my best to drive as inside as possible but unfortunately we made contact. Very sorry mate... Finally a misunderstanding. :(

No problem Nicolas, I was able slow enough the tap was slight and no damage done.

This other thing I'm really embarrassed about and glad it did not negatively impact Dino too much. TS1067 start of lap 11 and I'm not only in 5th but actually hanging with Tim and Dino. I thought holy crap this is cool. In that split second lapse in concentration I missed my braking point in T1 tapping Dino, sending him into a slide he fortunately recovered from and me off the track to the left. Very very sorry Dino.

Last edited:
Alberto: i never let lapping cars pass me in the tight section. The only way i've found it's safe is to brake long and take the outside of corner. It's a risky solution, if the lapper is not fast enough to pass, it leads to either stopping completely (not good) or taking off track( equally bad). I tried to break long, timed it wrong and veered off track. Any kind of combination of corners, chicanes etc. drive like you always do.

I had one close call with Peter, i chose the inside on the longest straight but he stuck on my tow and i was seriously running out of space. One the slowest touches on brakes and he noticed it in time, pulled of to the racingline, i was about 1 second from a real serious incident but we managed to avoid it. Seriously, i was running out of road and the only options were to brake very sharp and risk of Peter ramming my rear end or going in to the fast right hander 1m from right side and most likely i would had to push wide on to the grass. Next time, Peter, try to go to racing line earlier. You were with very poor tires and i was actually faster in the end, drove to finish and decided to not unlap. That must've been the reason, you wanted to just follow in tow to the end to save some laptime with awful tires sliding all over. But man, was that scary two seconds 2 laps before finish. I was just trying to manage comfortable gap behind and was taking it slow too.

It's too bad we don't have inbuilt VOIP in this game, that would solve a lot of problems with "talk to cars close by" button... We could ask and tell our intentions. It's not the first time a lapper tries to get all the available gain from a lapped car in this season by staying in tow all the way up to the braking.. We need more time to get back on racing line safely. So guys, stop that kind of thinking now. You are going to lose time on lappers, period... If you lose none, that's a win for you.

If this kind of tactic is used more often, i will let lappers pass at the beginning of straight, quite likely making both of us lose time but i will extract all the tow from faster guys instead of trying to help them for HALF of a straight and possibly getting my reward on the next sector...

TL:DR: On straights, make you pass EARLY to make it fair for everyone involved.

I had one close call with Peter, i chose the inside on the longest straight but he stuck on my tow and i was seriously running out of space. One the slowest touches on brakes and he noticed it in time, pulled of to the racingline, i was about 1 second from a real serious incident but we managed to avoid it. Seriously, i was running out of road and the only options were to brake very sharp and risk of Peter ramming my rear end or going in to the fast right hander 1m from right side and most likely i would had to push wide on to the grass. Next time, Peter, try to go to racing line earlier. You were with very poor tires and i was actually faster in the end, drove to finish and decided to not unlap. That must've been the reason, you wanted to just follow in tow to the end to save some laptime with awful tires sliding all over. But man, was that scary two seconds 2 laps before finish. I was just trying to manage comfortable gap behind and was taking it slow too.

Yeah, that indeed became a test for my late-into-the-race-reflexes.

The reason why I slipstreamed you was too get enough speed to pass you. You seemed determined to not slow down so I just waited for you to lift the throttle a bit, but you must have touched the brakes. So it became a close call.

I will keep better margins in the future. And a tip for you is to just lift 10% throttle or so :thumbsup:

It was very slight touch of brakes, around 5%. I was so running out of road, i barely made the turn. I guessed it sort of right, you were waiting for me to slow down and i was waiting for you to leave tow :) It has to happen that the lapper makes the move first, we can't slow down before the rear is clear.

It was quite funny when you slowed down to a crawl lap later and i didn't want to unlap :) There was so much space that neither were in hurry, it's always nice to see other people doing the "pit greeting" too...

(although I made contact when passing.... someone, didnt manage to keep the inside 100% Have to look at it in replay to see if it was an unfair pass.

( exept, a very light touch on TS 1391 with Nicolai )
sorry nicolai :)

If it is the same situation we are talking about I think it is I who am to blame. But I'll check the replay this weekend :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 454 39.3%