Season 11 Race 07: Interlagos Setup and Practice Thread

The usual routine, some discussion, someone posts setup, i'll do a wall of text complaining about something mysterious in the midway.. Something like that.

Not a track i really enjoy. Fun for timed lap, not fun to race. But that's only my problem, never had success (except one Porsche Supercup race where i was 2 seconds faster than what i was suppose to be..). Throttle controlled tight sections with pretty easy fast turns. Plenty off camber where car can't be really understeering but can spin on exits every easily.

Just a thought on pit entrance. It's a bit tricky since the racingline crosses pit entry and it does so in a point where pitting cars need to slow down. If you are pitting and there is a car trying to overtake you in tow and quite possible thinking of getting the inside line on T1.. That's bad. So what i suggest is totally opposite,

If you are going to pit, take the mid-road on turns before pit. The car following you has a chance to either get inside because of shorter line, you tuck behind him in tow and pit. Or if he decides to be in tow, you have the inside line now and can veer to pits in an angle that no one follows.. The guy behind should have "natural slingshot" taking him away from pit entry.. The angles work better this way even when it's kind a opposite what people would do. Also there is time, if you aren't taking those two sweeping turns hitting apex, the guy behind you knows already that something is different. I'm so afraid of that braking towards the pit, there is actual time to win by taking that entry as fast as possible but you need slightly different line and it's braking point is exactly on the racing line.

What do you guys think? I can't remember there being incidents but it's a possibility. I can remember taking some tin roofer and braking across racing line only inches to spare high speed collision.

Oh, remember that you can not lean on the pit straight right side wall. It has gaps where wrecks are removed in real life. Who ever built the track made a horrible error.. Where the gap ends, that side of the wall protrudes by a 20cm.. So if you just barely touch the wall before the gap, it's head-on collision when the wall starts again. Has happened me twice. I'ts an instant DNF and with traffic it's multiple DNFs (car instantly bounces back on track towards left side wall and bounces back from it crossing the raceline mutiple times..). The bad thing is that the "lazy" line goes exactly towards that point, you feel like "i can relax and take that last sweep long and super smooth, i just survived the pit entrance turn just before, taking it like a king almost touching that smooth curved thing, yeah this is easy, getting ready to br-" then BANG! It's precisely at that point you realize "you are dead, Zed."

It's close right next to the finishline, drive and seriously take a look. You need to see it so i suggest it's mandatory to all drivers to inspect that part of the track.

Last edited:
So far I did only one pit entry just to know how it needs to be taken. All I can say I was easily able to enter the pits flat out and inside the white lines. I had to slow down even after passing the pit wall. So the worst thing to happen would be the towing car following me into the pits. :roflmao:

I can't, not safely.. It's just way too risky, it's only one little bit of distraction, a slight turn of wheel too little or too much and you are in the wall, DNF. Taking wider entry is 100% success and the least time wasted. Taking tightest line with full throttle in my mind is fools game, a game i've lost at Interlagos.

I'm all for "no tires over white lines" but then be prepared to get scared as i have to start slowing down at the apex to miss those huge blocks at the pit entry. In total honesty, when i practiced pit entry, not even in my wildest dreams i imagined anyone taking it inside with full throttle. The option simply does not exist for my skill level. I might be wrong and it's really easy because that option does not exist in my mind and no car so far has ever been safe at Interlagos pit entry. Almost all of them have been near possible or possible but with 50/50 chance of ending your race.

When there's about 30 to 40m space between cars, the entry is not a problem at all so someone being in immediate tow at the moment you pit is rare. I really think that then you have two options when you're already at the apex: scare the towed car possibly causing a collision or risk hitting the wall. Worn tires, max speed, braking later than what feels safe while turning in high stress situation, short pitlane, pit strategy in your mind and pit limiter button under your thumb with "confirm" button next in line..... All this in a span of 3 seconds, Interlagos pit is one of the hardest in the calendar. I think we should aim for caution and give a clear sign. The entry is a LOT easier when you can arrive at straight line instead of curved path that has it's trajectory pointed pretty much squarely towards huge blocks of concrete.

It's agood thing we should have no problems with early pit boxes, no one should be forced to break heavily before pit entry line.

Last edited:
I think it may be a problem after the initial turn in if you have a close pit box but the 1st part of the entry should be full speed and by that time any following car that's not pitting will be going wide shouldn't be a problem.
I think it was same in mmg at initial entry point at full speed and quite safe.

Just using our normal racing etiquette and maybe be prepared to slow if close to someone around pitting laps is enough don't think we have had problems in races here before.:thumbsup:

Don't worry Kennett, it's always worth bringing those important points back to mind. For my own safety I would drive a slightly wider line in that particular place if I follow a car very close and re-enter the tow if the car stays out.

It's close right next to the finishline, drive and seriously take a look. You need to see it so i suggest it's mandatory to all drivers to inspect that part of the track.

I have passed a couple of times, not always I crashed (seems to be really a few cm) but there is definitely something wrong around there.

I think the track is more than wide enough at that point, and to crash you need to really step with the full car into the yellow striped zone, so I hope nobody will have a problem. Good to keep in mind for race starts, though.

On other topic, I think this time I will choose a one stopper just to avoid that dammed pit exit :mad:

I have passed a couple of times, not always I crashed (seems to be really a few cm) but there is definitely something wrong around there.

I think the track is more than wide enough at that point, and to crash you need to really step with the full car into the yellow striped zone, so I hope nobody will have a problem. Good to keep in mind for race starts, though.

Yes, there is plenty of space.. Like i said, if one is just lazy, he can hit that wall but if you stay all tires inside like one should, it's of course safe. It's only about 20cm or less but it's a total stop. Maybe in extreme heat, like three abreast fighting one could be too close, it's not so rare in Interlagos to get more than two cars fighting in T1.

Hello all, this will be my first Presto GP race!

Since I am new to these cars, I will likely be among the slowest. :notworthy: Despite this, I still want to try my best to be fast as I can. What is a good lap time to aim for race pace? :unsure: I am not interested in setting records or getting pole position in qualifying, I just want to focus on consistency. :)

Julius:
I would recommend 2-stops. Rule of thumb is that you have to be about 30 seconds faster on track to make the strategies even. Contrary to most I believe 2-stop strategy is quite competitive. But at the end of the day it is the strategy that gives you the least traffic that likely will be the fastest. Also, I will argue that consistency is easier with 2 stops (less variation in weight and tyre wear + 1 extra brake for your brain)

As for race pace, I do not know exactly, wild guess now is that everybody will be between 1:22,000 and 1:25,000 (probably a bit more even than that, but I need to do some more stint practice to give more precise answers.

180 liters as Kennett sais should be enough, but you can probably shave off some liters/kg if you do the fine calculation (depends on your wing settings and driving style). Personally I will probably be around 170 liters.

Last edited:
Julius you can download real time telemetry and or xd overlay, this will accurately tell you your own fuel use and also some other extra things like tire wear.
RTT is good to run on a extra monitor if possible but can also just alt+tab to check fuel per lap etc during practise.

On strategy do some laps with each loads and find what's best for urself, like Nico says its around 30 more 35 secs faster over race distance needed to make a 2stop work.
Previous race I opted for a 2 when on pace I was 10 secs faster with a 1stop but circumstances made it work.
Also worth a think is possible weather for this race.

has something changed on the servers nico?

last night me and sean really struggled with the qualifying server, seemed like there was something going on, getting to the 1.19's was so difficult compared to what it has been, i ended up stuck at 1.20.0 all night, sean just made it to the 19's eventually, like the track had lost about .3 worth of laptime overnight.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 308 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 156 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%