Season 11 Race 06: Watkins Glen Setup and Practice Thread

tried reiks and seans setup and couldnt for the life of me drive reiks, sometimes it would understeer, sometimes oversteer, just didnt suit my style at all, started using seans setup added 1 click rear wing and managed 3 pbs in a row, looks like seans ill be using come race day lol

Tried both setups and i chose Seans base too. Reiks setup is more nervous but has great has absolutely wonderful precision and surprisingly pretty good getting power down early. Seans is a lot more forgiving and suits me better. I can see now what you guys mean about 3rd gear and loose rear...

Doing 1:31s now with at least a second missing just on precision, my drivinglines are not yet at the limits but more just concentrating staying in the middle of that rollercoaster.. Those banked turns are hard, miss the entry just a hair and your exit is happening at the part where it's curving back to flat.. that is essentially off camber. Great track, totally different than anything we have in the calendar..All thou i'd still would like to drive in Austin next race... I miss Detroit '88 too. with classic F1s..

Opinions, please: I noticed that taking wider entry (off the blacken AI "fastline", that much wider), then tight apex, hugging the inside longer. It seemed to keep car more balanced. Looked at my replay files when i had spins and the end of banking is flatter on the inside. Spin often started when the road was twisting back to flat and the rear get's light. You can keep a lot of speed by taking it wider but then the "hump" can make surprises; uncertainty whether it'll hold, often having to delay throttle. I could get on the power and stay there with tighter line while keeping more constant load on the rear.. Just wondering if it's the right choice. Delta showed very similar straight line after corners so... It must wear tires more or something..

What i mean is, is it so important to keep the corners wide or is the kind of approach as above valid?
Don't mind about the AI car, i didn't ;) That's not the fastest lap but one that i felt that there i wasn't even on the limits, each exit felt like " i could've used more power" instead of rear sliding.. Last lap of that practice trying something else...

Last edited:
your general line and driving there is really good, you should try brake a bit later until its not possible to take the corners safely then back off slightly, with power on exit just keep trying to get it on earlier and earlier each time, there really isnt a whole load of diffrence otherwise, id say the lines your taking all around the track are good, a small thing would be too hold gears longer into corners, dont drop so quick this isnt mmg, if you time it right and dont drop too quickly and turn in in a higher gear you can generally keep a higher average speed up through the whole turn.

Hey guys!
How do you deal with overheated rear left tyre during stint?
Afer ~10 laps I experience big problems. I've tried softening left rear springs, decreasing bump damping, increasing pressure... Nothing helps.
So now I think that this tyre will get overheated with any setup on this track. And the only way to bring the car to finish is to adapt driving after some laps.
Is it what I should do? Or you've got any tips which may prevent rear-left overheating?

Hey guys!
How do you deal with overheated rear left tyre during stint?
Afer ~10 laps I experience big problems. I've tried softening left rear springs, decreasing bump damping, increasing pressure... Nothing helps.
So now I think that this tyre will get overheated with any setup on this track. And the only way to bring the car to finish is to adapt driving after some laps.
Is it what I should do? Or you've got any tips which may prevent rear-left overheating?

You could go try with an asymmetric setup, with a toe-in closer to 0 (I think) in the wheel that is overheating. Also changing the pressure.

But the behavior of the car will also be asymmetric, it will slide easier from one side than from the other.

Short answer just ignore it Alex I find it works best :thumbsup: my left front does it also, Long answer it happens a few tracks in the past but the tires last fine, sometimes slight tricky for power on but nothing that overhauling setup to the max is possibly going to fix but then change handling so much it isn't worth it.
I managed a stint last night all within .4 of my fastest lap in stint and last few laps I was up so doesn't affect speed either :cool: I wont say lap time for the purist's :thumbsup:.

Short answer just ignore it Alex I find it works best :thumbsup: my left front does it also, Long answer it happens a few tracks in the past but the tires last fine, sometimes slight tricky for power on but nothing that overhauling setup to the max is possibly going to fix but then change handling so much it isn't worth it.
I managed a stint last night all within .4 of my fastest lap in stint and last few laps I was up so doesn't affect speed either :cool: I wont say lap time for the purist's :thumbsup:.
Absolutely, those tires does not loose much grip when overheating. You can also notice that when driving with wet tires on a drying track. It wasn't the same with MMG...

I am not sure if I can make it for the race tomorrow, I have disconnected the computer and everything as I am tiling the outdoor area for 10 days now but the rain did not help the tiler to finish on time ( he is still working flat out) :O_o: ,

I will do my best tonight to get the wife's signature to allow the equipment to be somewhere in the house ,but if I do not show up in the morning that means I have been kicked out of the house and I am sleeping in the naughty corner :geek: ;)..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back