Season 10, Race 1, Istanbull, 6th Feb

ive obviously not seen the replay steeve as i wasnt on at the time but usually if we go off track we avoid reentry if theres any cars that could be affected by us coming back on, wether thats actually colliding with the other car, impeding his line or making him take avoiding action its always good coutesy to wait and if you lose a place or two then so be it, at least youve not caused any problems to anyone elses race.

another small thing is try and treat the races on the server as you would in an official race, it will serve you well when you come to race officially, i look at it as practising as i mean to race.

ive obviously not seen the replay steeve as i wasnt on at the time but usually if we go off track we avoid reentry if theres any cars that could be affected by us coming back on, wether thats actually colliding with the other car, impeding his line or making him take avoiding action its always good coutesy to wait and if you lose a place or two then so be it, at least youve not caused any problems to anyone elses race.

another small thing is try and treat the races on the server as you would in an official race, it will serve you well when you come to race officially, i look at it as practising as i mean to race.

I think that is how i did it. My reentry was not on the normal racing line as i stayed well on the inside. I just wanted some other comment on that to see if they agree or if i'm wrong.

Thanks

I think that is how i did it. My reentry was not on the normal racing line as i stayed well on the inside. I just wanted some other comment on that to see if they agree or if i'm wrong.

Thanks

I think it is commendable that you bring up your own incidents and want to learn from them. That is what is expected from all league members, so that it is in your nature I think is great :thumbsup:
I will look at the replay and tell you what I think.

One of the things we have learned throughout our history is that to have 20 drivers driving 10 races á 1 hour and 7 minutes, without anyone creating a single incident, demands an extreme focus on safety. Obviously we will have incidents in season 10, but hopefully there will be more races than incidents :thumbsup: I will do all I can to acheive 0 incidents throughout the season.

I have looked at it now. I had to look through 6 races to make sure I had the correct situation :)

I think there was nothing wrong with the track re-entry. Your mistake (in Presto-World) was that you failed to consider you had someone on your outside when going through the next turn. You entred it from the inside with Sean in your blind zone and then exited it not leaving room for Sean you did not know was there. A small mistake I think, and the lesson to learn is that when it is crowded (like lap 1 always is) you always have to assume you have someone on your side unless you are certain of the opposite.

The incident with Marko was unlucky. I think it happened because you were a bit "too hot" in general (don't get me wrong). I think in the situation you were in, I would have lifted and kept my distance when I saw the guys ahead was sliding at the apex (losing time), and focus on passing them much later on the straight (their speed will suffer the whole straight). You were caught up in the situation, but with experience you will not allow yourself to be caught up as you are thinking one step ahead if you know what I mean.

In addition I noticed you weaved a little on two occations when others where slip streaming you. This is not allowed, you have to drive as if you wanted to create the perfect slip stream for the dude behind (iow perfectly smooth on the racing line). :)

It might sound like I think you did a terrible job, and that is ofcourse not correct. I think you are doing very well and have the right intentions and attitude. Nobody can expect you not to make mistakes, after all, that is how we learn. And that Sean incident, it might be that it is only in Presto-World where you would have the fault :) I only wish our schedule would fit you better as you would be a great contribution to our league :thumbsup:

I have looked at it now. I had to look through 6 races to make sure I had the correct situation :)

In addition I noticed you weaved a little on two occations when others where slip streaming you. This is not allowed, you have to drive as if you wanted to create the perfect slip stream for the dude behind (iow perfectly smooth on the racing line). :)

Marko told me it was not allowed to weaved. But i didn't know i had to try to make the perfect slip stream for the guys behind so he can pass me. I didn't meant to weave and i'm surprised about your comment on that... will have to look at more replays. But in fact i try to "choose" my line 1 time and stick to it. Maybe if im on the outside and see someone coming closer in my mirror i will choose to move on the inside and stay there.... is that allowed?? I know its the rule in real F1 racing, i thought it was the same here.

Thanks for infos, and i appreciate you took time to look at replays and help me learn faster :thumbsup:

Note: if you notice, it happen a few times, i was not going on the racing line on straight aways after passing someone, because i was not sure if he was beside me. In replay i notice that i was more than clear. That note is just to make you notice that i have good intentions regarding other drivers.... can't learn without doing mistakes unfortunatly :(

Steeve

Steeve

In addition I noticed you weaved a little on two occations when others where slip streaming you. This is not allowed, you have to drive as if you wanted to create the perfect slip stream for the dude behind (iow perfectly smooth on the racing line)

Nico

I thought we played the real life F1 rule with this? iow. choose to stay on the line or choose to move off it to defend (force the overtaking guy on the outside) one or the other, but only one move

am I wrong?

Jim

Steeve if you watch it again what i think is there is 2 or 3 different ways you could have done it and been safer when i said to you i wasnt meaning anything major more in general when i said you have to watch when rejoining the track, especially 1st lap if for example it had been normal race it may end in tears rejoining to quick also take into consideration that when i was driving there i was expecting you to come straight back on if i wasnt i would have taken that abit faster and been on area of track you rejoined. Also when you do enter track and im on outside of you, you just run over to outside track and i have nowhere to go except take bump go off track or lift. Its great you have actually went and looked at it etc though thats showing your wanting to improve etc.:thumbsup:
Presto we have lots of little things to help be safer passing like picking inside or outiside early on a straight if defending pass, only moving once and always braking in straight line into turn and using imaginary lanes when battling in corners.Basically always try and leave room for the other car if fighting for position through a turn, we imagine the race track has 2 lanes like a normal road.

So basically if it was me and i went off there in a race id most likely eithier wait for every car to pass or make my way round that turn off track and rejoin on straight unless i knew noboby would be affected by me rejoining. If id rejoined where you did also id make sure i was on the tight lane around that next turn to give room to car on outside, we dont race like real f1 and chaperone someone to the edge of the track ie closing door.

Im not nit picking at you Steeve just basically wanting to help you out and improve your racing and how to race without incidents but also everyone learns from these kind of things and dont think ive ever had a incident free race maybe 1s without touching others but i usually go out my way to mess up my pits:). Also looking back overhead view etc this can sometimes look obvious when in cockpit view its more restricted requires great awareness.
Also added a little side by side with me and Nico, we usually do this many times i can remember i think a entire lap at hungary we managed side by side practising, it wasnt fast but extremely enjoyable im sure me and Nico could even do a side by side at Monaco if the chance came up ( its on my list now):)
EDIT: Jim i think you and Nico are basically meaning same thing just Nico meaning you pick what lane you want early on straight :thumbsup:

Nice videos Sean, in particular the second one.;) I might add that when I have a battle like that where I loose out/give up, I make a point of showing myself in his mirrors to tell him that he can retake the racing line (as opposed to stay in blind zone, make him sacrifice apex for safety and get back at him due to the time he'll lose)

Steeve, I think you misread our intentions. I looked at 5 of your races and saw that you in fact did leave room and did the right stuff and that your intentions were correct. Marko seemed a bit grumpy after the incident, and that might have given you the wrong idea. The truth is that we love to disect incidents and such to smallest detail to further learn and be even safer. For an outsider it might seem like we are displeased because we make such a fuzz about small things, but that is not right :)

I'll do as I should have done in the first place, make a video, it makes everything much easier :)
(Jim, I mean you should stay on the race line unless you make a defensive move. And either way movement should be smooth and predictabe. A consequence of this is that it is easy to slip stream, and a rule of thumb is, if you are trying to brake the tow, you are probably doing something wrong.)

(we are following Marko who is chasing Steeve)
If you compare this video to the second video Sean posted, you can see the difference in our predictable lines. I'm not saying you are terrible, just that it wasn't perfect :thumbsup: Try to guess what line you are going to pick from Marko's persepctive, especially in the first clip it is not easy.

if you notice, it happen a few times, i was not going on the racing line on straight aways after passing someone, because i was not sure if he was beside me.
I noticed, that's why I assumed you were unaware that you had Sean on the outside :thumbsup:

Nico

I thought we played the real life F1 rule with this? iow. choose to stay on the line or choose to move off it to defend (force the overtaking guy on the outside) one or the other, but only one move

am I wrong?

Jim
I understand that we have the same rules as F1. No weaving to break the slipstream. One may take a defensive line but isn't allowed go back to the ideal line.
The significant difference comes after braking, when we enter the turn. We drive wide or tight to leave one lane free for the challanger. And in the real thing no mercy :)

Very nice videos, i have to learn to do that, i mean copy/paste a video here, with slow motion like Sean did is really cool.:thumbsup:

I understand what you say about weaving in front on Marko. Have to say it was not intentionnal and i was not sure in my mind which line i should go to. Plus i had some unwanted movement from my car due to F3000 deadzone sterring. But now i learned a lot with all your explanation, and i'm sure i will get better :)

I was thinking with about how its so strange the tires seem to last so long now when back when we used f3000 it was always just able to make a 1 stop when we used to race for even shorter race length and even come back on cambers toe-ins etc to make it last, didnt we used to use tire wear x2 with f3000 ?
i think like 40 mins on a stint without tires losing grip/pace etc is to long, i think with x2 it should be back around 20/25 mins when you start losing grip so this could make a 1 v 2 pit stop possible with 67 min races :thumbsup: I think we always left fuel at x1 though.

In my opinion I regard the following as optimal:
a 2 stop strategy is usually the fastest with 3 stops not too far behind, while on some tracks 3 stops would be equal or slightly faster than 2 stops. (or something like this)

In general I prefer to use the default values, but if that means 1 stop strategy 90% of the time, I think it is a big step backwards in terms of strategy. Therefore I am pro adjusting tyres and considering other ideas to bring the strategy back to where it was and preferably also improve it :thumbsup:

I will use my planned practice time tonight to do some testing to find some rough data that will be relevant to calculate various strategies, stuff like:
-How much does 10kg of fuel slow you down
-How fast does the tyre wear
-How much does tyre wear slow you down (very rough data)
-Formula for time cost of pit stop

(if someone else happens to want to find the same data, I think the average of our findings will be more accurate information than me alone)

I not to sure but i think that x2 tire wear and x1 fuel would be best, i think 1 stop stratagy you would end up with tires around 42 to 44 % left on tires 20 laps, so its possible but a challenge, 2 stop will probably be the norm 13/14 lap stints say with around 55 to 60 % left on tires never risking tricky grip levels under 50%.
Still i think everyone will end up on same stratagy anyway as we will find probably one way works out better.:thumbsup: i think x1 wear on tires tho everyone would 1 stop so would be definetly no difference but with x2 we can maybe have different stratagys.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 14.0%