Season 10 - General Discussion

^^ So true. But F1 will never remove blue flag rule, no matter how much some journalist/blogger wants it ;) Fans would love it but once given "entitlements" can not be removed later... The current F1 blue flag rule effectively forces all cars to be in the same laps as the leaders, no more chances for 1 lap behind -> win results.

Maybe we should ban overtaking in the drag close behind a lapping car for the drivers one lap behind. I have done that legal but kind of sneaky deed myself a couple of times. It doesn't feel quite fair. The lapped guy is occasionally forced to slow down a lot to make way for the alien/group of aliens, depending on track layout etc.

Hm..., from the first read I feel this would go too far. But I haven't been in that situation so far.

And I think if the lapped car isn't forced to move over like in real life, the chances that the lapped car is an easy overtake for another direct opponent should be lower though.

I think it was grew last season to what it's suppose to be. Lapped cars gave room if there was no battles and lapping cars respected it very well. It certainly was good for me, the pressure of not hindering the lapper went away and the result was minimal time loss or both.

Drafting behind lapper is always a problem, nothing you can do about it. But the occasions to use that opportunity are few, you can't draft for long as they are just so much faster (except in Monaco where i was behind a car that lapped me but was actually slower for two laps...).

Maybe we should ban overtaking in the drag close behind a lapping car for the drivers one lap behind. I have done that legal but kind of sneaky deed myself a couple of times. It doesn't feel quite fair. The lapped guy is occasionally forced to slow down a lot to make way for the alien/group of aliens, depending on track layout etc.
I don't think that is unfair as long as everybody are aware of it (same for all). For me it is an extra spice in the race, a creative way to get past an opponent.

About next years lapping rules, I think it just have to slowly continue to evolve towards the point where the slower car stays on the racing line and the faster car makes an uncontested move at first possible place.

In other words, I don't think the slower car is doing anything wrong if he sticks to the racing line through a twisty area with the race leader on his tail (the race leader should prepare to make a move where he thinks is a good idea). As long as drivers do not stress out, this should lead to a loss of time between 0,1-2sec for the faster car, and 0,1-0,5 for the slower car (in theory).

This is only my view though, but I think our racing would benifit from it. At the end of the day, what most of us want is action/battles/challenges, but at the same time keeping the competition fair. If it is the same for all I think it is fair, the same way as weather and safety car is in real f1.

About next years lapping rules, I think it just have to slowly continue to evolve towards the point where the slower car stays on the racing line and the faster car makes an uncontested move at first possible place.

I think using the F3000 should help us in this process, because due to the lower speed it is easier for both parties. I think it's less risky for the quicker guy to drive close enough to the lapped car until making the move. And this should take away the nervousness from the soon to be lapped guy. ;)

I'm sure we're gonna make it right. ;)

(if you want to comment, quote and take it to the general discussion)

This post is to underline that contrary to real f1 we cooperate when we battle. We do not try to confuse but rather be clear and predictable in what we are doing. Both drivers first aim is not turn a battle into an incident. Second aim is to win the battle.

I made a video from a fun race tonight that helps illustrate. I was slip streaming an opponent and was getting very close as we approached the right hander on the straight. I could not tell if he wanted me to go on the outside or the inside until it was too late. It was poor driving/reaction from me, but that is not the point :)

The red cars role here should be that he was well aware of me and the impending situation and should have been focused on being clear on where he wanted me, usually by going for a tight apex. This is not the same as giving in, it is playing fair and hard :)

In this video borrowd from Sean's post earlier in this thread, I am in the opposite role. Here I demonstrate for Sean that I am taking the inside, and as a result we have side by side action for several turns instead of one of us going into the wall.

The discussion continues from here.

I think looking at the video its like you think Chirlies slight turn to right means hes going to go tight but over top it looks like hes going to stay left and theres room on inside. When you get to that turn, you got there at a pretty unique time in slipstream, just as you go to pullout Chirlie goes to turn for corner and puts you off going for inside, i think split sec earlier or later wouldnt have been any confussion.
Worth remembering for race if catching right at that point and not sure whats happening slight flick of throttle be best and safest option.

heres the very next lap of that race tonight nico, i got slipstream at the same place, the diffrence was i made my intentions known long before you did, if anything i think you were a little undecided about what to do yourself not what the ferrari was going to do, if you were going to try follow that closely through the turn then you had to lift then use slipstream after the turn to pick a lane, if you picked a lane early then you would be clearly visible in the mirrors of the ferrari and he couldve left the appropriate room.

(if you want to comment, quote and take it to the general discussion) (...)

No. :p :)

I would like to have this clarified once more that we have agreed on one lane change per straight-away. If [or when] we move off the ideal racing line [whilst being pursued] we are not then allowed to return to the ideal racing line [or braking zone] for the approaching corner.

E.G. After turn 10 at Istanbul, select either the left or right-hand side of the track and stay there for the Turn 11 braking zone.

Sad isn't it, that after these years I still am unsure about the 'legality' of how to defend position...

I think looking at the video its like you think Chirlies slight turn to right means hes going to go tight but over top it looks like hes going to stay left and theres room on inside. When you get to that turn, you got there at a pretty unique time in slipstream, just as you go to pullout Chirlie goes to turn for corner and puts you off going for inside, i think split sec earlier or later wouldnt have been any confussion.
Worth remembering for race if catching right at that point and not sure whats happening slight flick of throttle be best and safest option.
After a few races we will recognise the different styles of the drivers and it will be easier to predict their actions. You are right about the slowing down to be safer. Not a very "Prestonian" way to do a close battle though. This video shows how real F1 is driven I think.

heres the very next lap of that race tonight nico, i got slipstream at the same place, the diffrence was i made my intentions known long before you did, if anything i think you were a little undecided about what to do yourself not what the ferrari was going to do, if you were going to try follow that closely through the turn then you had to lift then use slipstream after the turn to pick a lane, if you picked a lane early then you would be clearly visible in the mirrors of the ferrari and he couldve left the appropriate room.

I watched this as well, but for me it was not totally comparable as there was a big differnce in speed. You were much faster than Chirlie relative to what I was, caught up with him earlier and therefore could make a move earlier (beofre turn in) and simply drive past. If I had done as you and pulled to the inside early i would have not had the speed to pull up his side.

My point was that looking at it in hindsight I should have gone for the inside, as that is where the room ended up being, but I didn't understand this while driving.

I agree, the safest, and what I will do next time (depending on who I am following) is to lift and wait for braking zone. But I think it is unfair if one chose to go in the middle of the road through that turn to make it hard to make a move. i will not do that to others.

No. :p :)

I would like to have this clarified once more that we have agreed on one lane change per straight-away. If [or when] we move off the ideal racing line [whilst being pursued] we are not then allowed to return to the ideal racing line [or braking zone] for the approaching corner.

E.G. After turn 10 at Istanbul, select either the left or right-hand side of the track and stay there for the Turn 11 braking zone.

Sad isn't it, that after these years I still am unsure about the 'legality' of how to defend position...
Yes, after F1 adjusted their rule a year ago it is now identical to ours, if you go defensive you cannot move back for braking zone. Be aware though that the natural racing line will bring you from the left side of the track to the right on the straight after t11. This is obviously not a move. If you stay on the left side after t11 it is a "move"

My impression is that everybody has a good grip on this rule :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing