PC1 Screen tearing

Capping the framerate does not stop screen tearing as you have found out. The only way is using vsync i'm afraid and that has the side effect of input lag because the frames are being held. Getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate (144hz) helps massively.

Capping the framerate does not stop screen tearing as you have found out. The only way is using vsync i'm afraid and that has the side effect of input lag because the frames are being held. Getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate (144hz) helps massively.
Talking of input lag, I don't use the virtual steering wheel so I don't notice input lag. With vsync though it is prone to screen stuttering so it's a lose lose situation.

You given me something to think about there Chris. I'm saving up for a new graphics card even though I don't need one lol but I would be better saving for a new monitor even though I have a nice 29" Dell Ultrawide <snip> monitor.

<Mod edit: Watch your language>

Last edited by a moderator:
With the newer Nvidia GTX grafic cards it is possible to enable adaptive vsync in the nvidea configuration menu ( under 3D settings, you can chose to put vsync on, off, allow the game to decide, or adaptice vsync) It overrides the game setting. You dont go higher than 60 fps and you dont jump to 30 like with normal Vsync when your frame rate goes below 60, but stay in the actuale frame rate like 45-50, whatever the rate is a that time.
I actived this and i have no tearing at all.
I also tryed -fpscap60, but when you dont get 60 you get a lot of tearing

With the newer Nvidia GTX grafic cards it is possible to enable adaptive vsync in the nvidea configuration menu ( under 3D settings, you can chose to put vsync on, off, allow the game to decide, or adaptice vsync) It overrides the game setting. You dont go higher than 60 fps and you dont jump to 30 like with normal Vsync when your frame rate goes below 60, but stay in the actuale frame rate like 45-50, whatever the rate is a that time.
I actived this and i have no tearing at all.
I also tryed -fpscap60, but when you dont get 60 you get a lot of tearing
Yes I know that but I found I actually got better performance with just using the game's vsync.....strange I know.

I had screen tearing when i was locked at 60. i bumped up the framerate to 65 and its perfect. it might tear every now and then but I dont notice it at all
Don't know how but after i tried this in AMS (bumping the cap up from 60 to 65), all my tearing issues went away.

Thank you!

edit: do know how now:

Try turning v-sync off and set FPS limiter to a prime number that you can get constant, with no drops, I for example capped it at 67.
In case you are wondering why a prime number, it's because this will cause the refresh rate to be out of sync with the fps, which though it may not get rid of tearing, it will make it almost imperceptible because it will happen in "random" places in your screen.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 155 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 151 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 217 14.3%