Scott Speed, Global Rallycross and iRacing - New Video!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing GRC Scott Speed Preview b.jpg

Check out the new iRacing Global Rallycross Championship preview video, featuring multiple GRC champion and former Grand Prix driver Scott Speed!

Speed has an enviable career behind him with success in junior formula open wheelers, time in Formula One, NASCAR drives and of course three Global Rallycross Championship titles to his credit, the American with the perfect surname for a racing driver is perhaps one of the best placed professionals on the planet to take the upcoming iRacing rallycross car out for a spin.

The American takes to the Daytona Rallycross circuit in his VW Beetle GRC machine, the first of the new GRC content coming to iRacing from December 5th this year, giving us his insights into how to drive one of these beastly cars, and what iRacing players can expect to enjoy in just five short days...

You can check out the video for yourself below:
iRacing.com is an online racing simulation that features monthly subscription fees and additional paid content, exclusive to PC.

iRacing GRC Scott Speed Preview a.jpg
iRacing GRC Scott Speed Preview c.jpg
iRacing GRC Scott Speed Preview d.jpg

Check out the iRacing sub forum for more of the latest news and discussions regarding the massive multiplayer online service.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to Rallycross coming to iRacing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
That's why their membership continues to decline and also why they continue to increase their fees.
i have yet to see proof for this, but of course people are right to point to the coast of "getting" new cars and tracks. i spent 700 euros my first year and 500 my second year and i think i was rather cautious when adding new content. year five however i paid absolutely nothing, because subscription was still a bit cheaper (black friday deal was two years for the price of one) and i dutifully picked up all the bonus bits.

make no mistake, though, rather than giving us a straightforward pay scheme but handing out bonusses and special offer is of course artficial as hell, since there is no competition to compare the bonus against. it neatly satisfies the hunter and gatherer in us :)

still, even for beyond 500 euro a year i never felt i was paying too much. a normal computer game is meant to be played for 40, maybe 60 hours, so a price of 40 to 60 euros feels right. in iRacing you pay for the service and the community, so I rather compare it to my gym or my tennis club. put into that context, the 500 euro are fine and, and, as the years progress and you have more and more content, it gets downright affordable. I play about 3hours a week and for me it feels ok.

oh yes, and the difference between a simracer and a chap playing computer games: i never quite understood what that was about and why it mattered. Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk ...

i have yet to see proof for this, but of course people are right to point to the coast of "getting" new cars and tracks. i spent 700 euros my first year and 500 my second year and i think i was rather cautious when adding new content. year five however i paid absolutely nothing, because subscription was still a bit cheaper (black friday deal was two years for the price of one) and i dutifully picked up all the bonus bits.

make no mistake, though, rather than giving us a straightforward pay scheme but handing out bonusses and special offer is of course artficial as hell, since there is no competition to compare the bonus against. it neatly satisfies the hunter and gatherer in us :)

still, even for beyond 500 euro a year i never felt i was paying too much. a normal computer game is meant to be played for 40, maybe 60 hours, so a price of 40 to 60 euros feels right. in iRacing you pay for the service and the community, so I rather compare it to my gym or my tennis club. put into that context, the 500 euro are fine and, and, as the years progress and you have more and more content, it gets downright affordable. I play about 3hours a week and for me it feels ok.

oh yes, and the difference between a simracer and a chap playing computer games: i never quite understood what that was about and why it mattered. Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk ...

Yes like I mentioned it works for some and for others it doesn't. I was a member for 3 years, and for me the cost versus value didn't pan out.

Conrad Miller said:
"Those who say iRacing is expensive either trolls or have nothing to do with simracing."

Yep there's that holier than thou iRacing attitude that people can't stand. :rolleyes: You failed to mention how much you've spent on tracks and cars?

Most people can't race more than 15 hours a week, so participation and other credits don't help. iRacing's business model doesn't work for the majority. That's why their membership continues to decline and also why they continue to increase their fees.

If iRacing works for you that's fine, but don't be calling people names, or say they have nothing to do with simracing just because they disagree or feel that it's too expensive.
Not going to rip on iracing, but for sure if it was a little different pay plan even I would get it in a heartbeat. ATM i cant justify it, and i usually buy all DLC for all sims.

This is what I found today on iRacing forums, written by one of our members:
Hi folks

Quick background: years ago in the rFactor 1 days I bought a Logitech G27 and had a blast racing. Unfortunately I did not have anyone to race with and had a bad time trying to play online. After a while I moved on and have not raced since. Then about 3 months ago I got VR (Vive) and decided it was time to give racing another go. I tried Pcars and Assetto Corsa, but both disappointed me for different reasons. I ended up thinking I should (finally) give iRacing a go. While it seemed expensive and intimidating I had already gone all in on the VR and I really wanted to try some fun racing with it. I got a 3 months membership and went for a test drive in the MX5 on Leguna Sega. 3 laps in I was sold. This sim was everything I had been missing. After being hyped about it for some days I made a post on this forum sharing my enthusiasm, and you all were so positive and welcoming, it solidified my growing love for the sim. Now that my 3 months membership is up I felt like making another one of "those" posts.

I am bipolar (manic-depressive) and have battled depression for many years. My last 3 months here has fueled a ton of enthusiasm and a sense of belonging.Although other treatments has surely helped as well, I really feel like my iRacing experience is one of the key factors that my depression has gotten to an all time low over the past months. Since starting out with sim racing 3 months ago my love for it has been growing steadily. I used to play a lot of Dota2 and had gotten used to a volatile and spitefull community that would never help my mood. Getting into iRacing I'm continuously amazed by the positive response I see. People are just so friendly (I usually don't wreck people
69934afc394145350659cd7add244ca9.gif
). Not long after joining I was invited to join a team. Being totally new to simracing and motorsports in general I felt clueless. The amount of help and support I have gotten from the team both in and out of session, and from other drivers in sessions has been truly awesome. In the last 3 moths I have increased my license to B, build a sim rig and gotten some better pedals (Clubsport v3 inverted) - and have started dreaming about a DD wheel. I have used 90% of my computer time racing. Yesterday I had my first endurance race (Winter VLN with the team), and I was a nervous wreck going into it. Luckily I pulled through and our car (MX5) ended up in second place. The adrenaline and hype I felt was massive. I can't wait until the next one. There is no going back for me - I just renewed my subscription for a year. Only thing I regret is not getting into this sim sooner. At this point I view iRacing as both a hobby and medication. When I'm feeling down and I can jump behind the wheel - put on some electro swing - and just immerse myself. When my thighs get too tired fighting the load cell I watch team mates drive and cheer them on... iRacing may be expensive software, but to me it is both a fairly priced hobby and priceless mind medicine... In fact, I'll go buy a few more tracks for the BP series, right now.

Thank God for iRacing, the team (Celeritas Racing) and the rest of the iRacing community.

I like how Conrad bashes one kid for comparing Dirt to iracing than follows up with a tear jerker and how friendly the iracing community is ....well played lol :thumbsup:

Ive really been enjoying the Rally X in PC2 the cars handle and feel very natural on the dirt to me, a great selection of tracks and cars/classes combine with varying weather and seasons makes the experience very immersive, but there online raceday format is very lackluster with only races available. Hopefully with the upcoming Fun pack dlc featuring alot of rally content an update to mp will come so we can have practices and heats.

Asides from the Fiesta or Focus cant remember which one they have the license for? Do they have any other licenses coming for Rally X ?

Do they have a list of tracks available....if you have the track and they add a rally course will you have to pay extra or get it free like the daytona course ?

How will the safety and irating work as Rally X has alot of contact ?

Have they changed the damage model for the RallyX cars.....if I recall correctly i believe these cars have a front and rear bar through the bumpers to prevent damage to the intercooler/engine and the fans in the back ?

Is the license agreement soley with Global RallyX or is there a chance will see some WRX content aswell?

Any hints they may add a Trophy truck from the Torq Series down the road to there dirt series?

If PC2 doesnt update there online format and iracing continues adding some more Rally X content it might intise me to renew my subscription again :)

Cheers

a Asides from the Fiesta or Focus cant remember which one they have the license for? Do they have any other licenses coming for Rally X ?
b How will the safety and irating work as Rally X has alot of contact ?
c Have they changed the damage model for the RallyX cars ...
d Is the license agreement soley with Global RallyX or is there a chance will see some WRX content aswell?

a those two are the only ones mentioned so far
b no clue has been given, only that this is being considered
c dito
d wrx is probably out of bounds since codemasters own the licence

from the release notes just out:
"License Classes
- iRacing now has four unique License Classes!
- - Each of the four licenses are completely separate from each other, and you will have your own Class, iRating, and Safety Rating in each.
- - There is one license for each type of racing available: Oval, Road, Dirt Oval, and Dirt Road.
- - - Your initial Dirt Oval License Class was granted to you based on an algorithm that took into account both your 2017 Oval License Class, and your 2017 participation in Official Dirt Oval races."

and:

rallyx tracks:
"----Daytona circa 2007 (Rallycross - Long)
- - - Daytona circa 2007 (Rallycross - Short)
- - - Iowa Speedway (Rallycross) A member who already owns or purchases this track gains access to this new configuration.
- - - Lucas Oil Raceway (Rallycross) A member who already owns or purchases this track gains access to this new configuration.
- - - Phoenix International Raceway - 2008 (Rallycross)
- On the "Host A Race" page on the membersite, when a track with a Joker Lap (currently only Rallycross tracks) is selected, a new option for selecting the "Number of joker laps" is displayed. Additionally, Full Course Cautions and fast Tows are both completely disabled, and Standing Starts is mandatory."

I caved today and decided to renew my subscription to test the Rally X content......thankfully I only purchased a 1 month, after several hrs testing the VW (on 2 systems now) at Daytona I really hope iRacing revisit the car and the dirt physics.
The dirt physics is equivalent to the iced over roads I've been driving on here in Canada for the past 6 months and doesn't resemble dirt at all.

Zero initial bite on tarmac or dirt under braking
Zero lateral grip detail or friction on the dirt
Nothing about the dirt physics even felt natural and was basically guessing the entire time on what the tires were doing.
Thought it might be a setup or a ffb tweak could help but still made no difference. I then watched a few reviews and laid it to rest after I watched Empty Box's review where he even mentioned the zero bite and lack of grip.

It's a shame as I was really looking forward to racing them online.

I caved today and decided to renew my subscription to test the Rally X content......thankfully I only purchased a 1 month, after several hrs testing the VW (on 2 systems now) at Daytona I really hope iRacing revisit the car and the dirt physics.
The dirt physics is equivalent to the iced over roads I've been driving on here in Canada for the past 6 months and doesn't resemble dirt at all.

Zero initial bite on tarmac or dirt under braking
Zero lateral grip detail or friction on the dirt
Nothing about the dirt physics even felt natural and was basically guessing the entire time on what the tires were doing.
Thought it might be a setup or a ffb tweak could help but still made no difference. I then watched a few reviews and laid it to rest after I watched Empty Box's review where he even mentioned the zero bite and lack of grip.

It's a shame as I was really looking forward to racing them online.
I was surprised too about the grip, but then again I am not a pro GRC driver and neither is Empty box. Mitchell Dejong is a pro GRC driver in real life and in iRacing, he seems to find the grip and understand of course, so go figure. Would have to take their word for it, on how it really is.

It's been almost 2 weeks since I renewed, so I thought I'd do a quick update.
Since my last post I've been doing tons of research to get my wheel dialed and have found some good tips.

Thrustmaster TX with gte rim
TM profile
900/100/100/100/0 originally I was using 75 strength

Ingame
FFB 10
Dampening 1%
Min FFB 10

These new setting gave me alot more feel on dirt...but still not as detailed as PC2 inregards to tire and suspension feedback on loose surface but good enough to give me the details needed to get around the dirt parts.

So for my little review will be compared to PC2...I know most will instantly disagree but the truth be they did a really good with Rally content and loose surface physics and since its the only other sim to compare loose physics driving to your gonna have to deal with it :)

Pros
-Proper implemation of mp...practice, quali, heats. Note it's not implemented in rookie class but it is in the C class Pro/set tuned.
- there's a RallyX community with hourly races.
-Sounds very good and right up there with Raceroom as the best in the game.
-chassis movement is an absolute joy trying to keep the car balanced at high speeds and under heavy braking as you can feel it squirming beneath you.
-the loading of the suspension at the race start while holding the ebrake waiting for the green is a very well done and makes releasing the hand brake even more enjoyable.
-VR performance is very good and less demanding than PC2 also I find the vr experience in regards to clarity to be cleaner and easier to see.
- screen dirt build up and other windscreen gfx really add to the immersion!
-dynamic track and visual race lines are very well represented
-drifting has been enjoyable and the car reacts how I would expect it too. I've read many complaints that iracing lacks in this department but I can honestly say I haven't had any issues and it's just as easy as PC2.

Cons
-the damage model is terrible! It's so fragile it makes me think they modeled it after an egg lol...the mirror skims a tire barrier where i receive a x0 for contact just to have my wheel turn at a 45 degree angle and the pit engineer telling me I have wheel damage?
- I really don't have much to bitch about in regards to the driving experience. We all know the tire model is its weakest point and there's a new one on the way so i'll leave it at that.
Driving on the dirt just simply lacks detail at times compared to driving on the dirt in PC2.
For the most part its very smooth with no real sense of grooves or ruts, and I've found I have to rely on audio and visual cues.
Also there's no intial bite under braking on the dirt.
- GRC content....cars are good but the tracks are terrible compared to the purpose built tracks in europe that the WRX run on. Very flat
- No hand or foot animations....kills the immersion a bit when you physically pull the ebrake just to see your hands are still on the wheel.

- my biggest gripe and it's not game related....but what is with all the paid tunes and nobody willing to help any more?
$100 a yr to get tunes and track data from VRS? Come on the sim racing community is small enough as it is, the cost of sim racing gear is becoming ridiculous....no video game should cost more than a used car!
Greed is destroying the world.

Overall I feel the pros out weigh the cons, I have 2 weeks left on my 1 month subscription and my plan is to get out of rookie class and give a try in the C class pro division or stock tune.

Rookie class is a bit of a crap shoot and have only come across a handful of quality drivers able to drive consistently fast so hopefully the move to C will improve the race quality.

If all works goes well I'll most likely purchase the rest of the Rally X content and continue my subscription as it's currently the best option for Rally X.

Feel free to add me
Dave Slute

Cheers

Ps .....so who's gonna be the new face for Rally x in iracing now that Scott Speed has been banned and sold all his gear? Lol

Last edited:
- my biggest gripe and it's not game related....but what is with all the paid tunes and nobody willing to help any more?
$100 a yr to get tunes and track data from VRS? Come on the sim racing community is small enough as it is, the cost of sim racing gear is becoming ridiculous....no video game should cost more than a used car!
Greed is destroying the world.

Google brought back some pages with free setups. I've not tried it yet but setupsync looks to have about everything you'd want.

http://iracingsetupsync.nickthissen.nl/Setups/Index

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years