SCE & Steam.

So forgive my possible ignorance, but is there a way to have several installs of sce. It seems that if I have multiple versions on different drives it will always revert back to wherever my initial steam install was. I tried launching SCE from my E:/ yet it loaded the D:/ orig install.

I would like to have an Endurance only mod install, Nascar & Indycar only mod install, F1 only install etc etc...other than having a separate rfm/gamedata folder for each style game I want which I would then need to copy and paste into SCE dir prior to each time i played...

#timeconsumingas****.

Often times I'm having to check my diary prior to clicking on that lovely .exe file that I don't have any other pre arranged plans with family or friends that I wont be able to make due to fortnight waiting time I currently have...i know, I know I shouldn't have sooo many mods but the game is epic! Any help or advice??

There's no way to have multiple copies installed on steam... but there is a way to direct the game to different track/rfm folders by swapping a single config file instead of all folders. Look in SCE root folder, there should be a file called config.ini. Inside there are lines like that:

TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\
PitsDir=GAMEDATA\SCRIPTS\
VehiclesDir=GAMEDATA\VEHICLES\

That just tells the game to look for data in the root subfolders only. But you can change the lines, for example, like that:

GamesDir=C:\GTmod\Stock Car Extreme\rfm\
TracksDir=C:\F1mod\StockCarExtreme\gamedata\locations\
VehiclesDir=E:\Endurance\StockCarExtreme\gamedata\vehicles\

So you can create folders in any drive with any combinations of data (even user data, controller configs, replays) and then create a single config file pointing to these folders. Then you simply swap in the config for the mod you want to play.

Actually, it should be pretty easy for a programmer to write a simple app that can edit the config automatically...

There's no way to have multiple copies installed on steam... but there is a way to direct the game to different track/rfm folders by swapping a single config file instead of all folders. Look in SCE root folder, there should be a file called config.ini. Inside there are lines like that:

TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\
PitsDir=GAMEDATA\SCRIPTS\
VehiclesDir=GAMEDATA\VEHICLES\

That just tells the game to look for data in the root subfolders only. But you can change the lines, for example, like that:

GamesDir=C:\GTmod\Stock Car Extreme\rfm\
TracksDir=C:\F1mod\StockCarExtreme\gamedata\locations\
VehiclesDir=E:\Endurance\StockCarExtreme\gamedata\vehicles\

So you can create folders in any drive with any combinations of data (even user data, controller configs, replays) and then create a single config file pointing to these folders. Then you simply swap in the config for the mod you want to play.

Actually, it should be pretty easy for a programmer to write a simple app that can edit the config automatically...
Forgive my ignorance, too. When it comes to doing stuff like this to programs/scripts I always get lost. Does this mean you can maintain a vanilla copy and not have mismatch online?

Edit:
I just tried this. I copied root folder to a diiferent folder/drive, changed the config file. When I run this, I can only see the modded tracks in-game without the stock content even though I didn't touch them. How can I have both modded and stock tracks in-game?

Last edited:
You can have vanilla copy if you don't install anything in the game folder, and you have a vanilla config to swap in.

I just tried this. I copied root folder to a diiferent folder/drive, changed the config file. When I run this, I can only see the modded tracks in-game without the stock content even though I didn't touch them. How can I have both modded and stock tracks in-game?

I guess you can have a folder with both stock and modded tracks? I don't think you can add multiple locations in the .ini.

I actually don't use that method; I'm not big into mods and I don't stockpile them, I don't even know how to find out which RFM is for what, so I cant really be of much help. I guess you will have to experiment...

You can have vanilla copy if you don't install anything in the game folder, and you have a vanilla config to swap in.

I guess you can have a folder with both stock and modded tracks? I don't think you can add multiple locations in the .ini.

I actually don't use that method; I'm not big into mods and I don't stockpile them, I don't even know how to find out which RFM is for what, so I cant really be of much help. I guess you will have to experiment...
I did have stock and mod tracks on the copied folder locations and when i use the changed config file it only shows the modded tracks, no stock content. But I guess this is a good first step. I've been trying to experiment since last week on/off and I saw this thread today. It's a really good info for old guys like me. Just trying to get ready for the next Reiza game as I want to maintain a vanilla copy. Thank you very much.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back