F1 2011 Save my career for reinstall

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
My F1 decided to suddenly crash immediately after I login via gfwl.

I want to reinstall hopefully fixing the problem, but what do I have to backup to be able to continue my career.
I understood I need to save my gfwl folder and savegame folder from myDocuments?

I would go for :-

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2011

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

That seemed to work for me OK just over a week ago when I re-installed. (Windows 7)

EDIT: Are you sure it is when you log in to GFWL? Or is it when the little red busy icon is rotating, and at the bottom it says 'checking storage devices' or something like that? The GFWL login is almost at the same time as this. If it is this, then you usually just need to start the game from your KEYBOARD only (Enter Key), then once the game has started, you set up your wheel settings again (saturation, linearity etc.), and remap any buttons you want to change from the default.The force feedback settings will be unaffected

Mind if I hijack this thread with a couple of questions? :p
Is it possible to import a savegame from a box version of the game into a steam version?
Where does Steam keep the F1 2011 save files anyway, user Documents perhaps?

I would go for :-

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2011

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

That seemed to work for me OK just over a week ago when I re-installed. (Windows 7)

What am I doing wrong? please help!!!

I reformatted my pc and changed windows 7 ultimate from 32-bit to 64-bit. I was able to backup the following folders mentioned above (savegame, GWFLive, XLive folders) before reformatting. After re-installing F1 2011 with patch, I started the game and created a new profile with the same details from my previous profile. After all the intro and tweaking of the controls and the graphics options I saved my profile and exited the game. Then I replaced the 3 folders mentioned above. Started the game again but with no luck the game says it cannot locate my saved file and asks me if i want to create a new profile.

Am I missing something? I dont want to start my career again please help me!!!

Strange, I don't know, unless it's something to do with the change from a 32 bit to a 64 bit operating system :confused:

Perhaps something is stored in the save files about the current system, but I really don't know.

I did a complete fresh install of this game a few weeks ago now, and used the backups of the above folders, exactly the way you have just done it. Install, patch, create profile using same name as before, quit, and copy backup folder into the install. It worked with no errors. The only difference is that I used the same operating system, it was just a game re-install only.

EDIT: Come to think about it, after the re-install, I don't think I had my wheel plugged it. I just created the profile having started the game from the keyboard. I then copied the backups into the install, started the game with keyboard to check if my career was there. It was there, so I quit, plugged in the wheel, then started the game again to set it up.

Maybe that wasn't an important factor, but you could try it just in case.

I've recently changed from a 32 bit Vista to a 64 bit W7 system, using the exact same procedure, and my career carried over just fine.

samjealsha, try maybe to just log on the freshly installed F1 install, and as soon as you get to the main menu exit the game , then copy your 3 folders where they belong?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 485 39.0%