Sauber retain Ericsson, Nasr for 2016

1407258-30141862-1600-900.jpg

Today, ahead of this weekend's Hungarian Grand Prix, Sauber announced that they are retaining their current driver line up of Swede Marcus Ericsson and stand out rookie Brazilian Felipe Nasr for next year after an improved season so far for the Swiss team.

This is a good announcement for the team, as they can forward planning their future next year with the security of knowing who their drivers will be. This of course is a lot smoother announcement this year after the pre-season debacle for the team which embarrassingly seemed to have signed four drivers to drive their two cars.

Marcus Ericsson, who scored his first F1 points in his debut race for Sauber in Australia, commented on today's announcement by stating "I'm very happy Sauber has put its trust in my potential for another year. Up to now I have some good memories of my first year with the long-standing Swiss team. I had a great start, and it is worth mentioning my first points in Formula 1 that I scored right away during the season-opener."

Felipe Nasr has proven himself to be one of the best rookie's this year, as he impressed with a debut 5th place at the opening Australian GP, and also gave his thoughts on his new deal with Sauber for next year. He said "It is great to be driving another season for Sauber. The extension to the contract with the team is an important step in my career. During the first half of the season I was able to gain a lot of experience from a driving perspective, as well as on the personal side."

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn also added her thoughts on the two extensions for Ericsson and Nasr. She said "This early point in time shows the drivers and the team are sure they are heading in the right direction, we have full confidence in the talents and skills of Marcus and Felipe. We enjoy having them in the team and they give it a positive boost. Marcus and Felipe are already involved in a very dedicated way with the development of next year's Sauber C35."

This is another positive step for a Sauber team which are revitalized this year after a difficult 2014 season for the popular Swiss team. They have two solid drivers in Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr, both of whom can feel good about the vote of confidence these extensions from the team can give them. With another year's experience with the team both could improve next year, and Sauber can feel confident about their prospects for next year.

What are your thoughts about these contract extensions? Please feel free to comment below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what Ericsson needs to do to prove his worth, he outdid Nasr on a few races so far this season but still he's a pay driver with no talent.
I'm not claiming he's world championship material, but I don't see what's so special about Nasr either to warrant the praise he gets compared to all the **** Ericsson gets.

well Ericsson got out-raced completely by Kobayashi last year in Caterham.
And Nasr impressed on debut with his 5th place in the Sauber, which is underpowered and cruically, scored no points last season even with a talented driver in Sutil.

well Ericsson got out-raced completely by Kobayashi last year in Caterham.
And Nasr impressed on debut with his 5th place in the Sauber, which is underpowered and cruically, scored no points last season even with a talented driver in Sutil.
How many years of experience did Kobayashi have in F1 against the rookie Ericsson? Nasr would have been obliterated by Kobayashi too imo.
Marcus ain't no Hamilton, Alonso or Kimi, but he's a decent enough driver, just don't understand why he gets so much hate in a series alongside drivers like Maldonado.

How many years of experience did Kobayashi have in F1 against the rookie Ericsson? Nasr would have been obliterated by Kobayashi too imo.
Marcus ain't no Hamilton, Alonso or Kimi, but he's a decent enough driver, just don't understand why he gets so much hate in a series alongside drivers like Maldonado.

Maldonado gets a lot of hate too. Ericsson isn't a bad driver, I just don't believe him to be talented enough for F1. With one of the best GP2 teams (DAMS) he was quite underwhelming (only 8th in the final standings)

I also for one think there are better drivers than Ericsson. But I don't really hate him..
And as said, Maldo gets hate too.
Generally nobody likes pay drivers, but I guess after his 5th in Melbourne people think Nasr was the next Lauda. And I agreed, only for a single race.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 326 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%