Sauber C36

Is it just me that thinks they've failed to make the cars look any more aesthetically pleasing? I like that they've gone to a wider car again and I like the wings and sidepods and that bargeboards are a thing again. But the car wheelbases and overall lengths have grown by 1-1.5m since the last 2m wide F1 car. The proportions are not really that different from last year and if they had gone back to 3m wheelbases instead of 4m it would have been a much larger visual change and also made the cars much twitchier and agile, we'd see drivers having to "handle" the cars again. I don't really understand why this wasn't possible either as there were 90's V10's in the last 2m wide car and now we have a V6 Turbo + ES. A smaller PU and the car has got longer in the body. It's probably because of the low noses (and other crash testing at the front of the car) though but I've never understood why they were necessary in the first place. I never saw a single sidepod punctured by a high nose and yet now we have noses that can literally get under and flip cars :/

AU1536416.jpg

vs
images_williams_fw19_1997_1.jpg

Also while searching for a good reference image (its hard to match the angles for a good comparison) I noticed that the front wing is also terminated at the inside of the front tyres rather than the outside. Looks way better and would definitely remove any chance of seeing the cascade tunnels on the ends of the front wings that hurt following cars so much.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years