Safety Car?

I love the idea of an SC as I think it's a nice idea but could be hard, some issues I quickly thought of from my head:

• What would bring the safety car out? (A spin, a small crash? (VHR Stockcar uses a 180 spin or more = SC )) But I guess this would be manual.
  • The SC driver would drive out onto the track, but something needs to alert ALL drivers. Text could be displayed, but may be missed by some drivers?
  • If someone overtakes during this time, it can't be stopped as no typing during the race is allowed and the director may miss it
  • Johannes mentioned, ignoring blue flags = stop go, I guess it could be turned off, but then we could end up with dumdum's ignoring them and racing the leaders.
  • I don't think that 26 drivers will go into the same ts3/vent/mumble/skype (whatever) channel at the same time
Good idea, but if anything it will need to be implemented very smoothly

I love the idea of an SC as I think it's a nice idea but could be hard, some issues I quickly thought of from my head:

• What would bring the safety car out? (A spin, a small crash? (VHR Stockcar uses a 180 spin or more = SC )) But I guess this would be manual.
  • The SC driver would drive out onto the track, but something needs to alert ALL drivers. Text could be displayed, but may be missed by some drivers?
  • If someone overtakes during this time, it can't be stopped as no typing during the race is allowed and the director may miss it
  • Johannes mentioned, ignoring blue flags = stop go, I guess it could be turned off, but then we could end up with dumdum's ignoring them and racing the leaders.
  • I don't think that 26 drivers will go into the same ts3/vent/mumble/skype (whatever) channel at the same time
Good idea, but if anything it will need to be implemented very smoothly

Don't forget you would need to implement the lucky dog rule too. :p

In all seriousness though if we used a safety car then by the time it has been deployed the track would be clear as anyone involved in a crash would have either pressed esc or recovered back to the pits.

I also ran a NASCAR race last night using the VHR mod Jonno mentioned above. Even when it is implemented as well as the SC is in that mod it is still prone to bugs. We would have to run something similar which would penalise drivers for gaining position under the SC but as I found out last night that doesn't always work. In that case nearly everyone on the lead lap got a penalty for no reason. I can only imagine the state of the race thread on this forum if something like that were to happen in FSR.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 349 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 242 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%