• "Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

S9 F1 2017 Round 4: Russian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2017 Championship' started by Milos, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Shellay

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Guy

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Mitchell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Milos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. BColli

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Alex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Cecchi_Star

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. Helves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Martijn

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Milos

Milos
    Had things gone my way, who knows..

Ratings:
    +5,147
    [​IMG]

Race Department - F1 2016 - Weekday Championship | Season 9
    Round 4: - Tuesday - 24/10/2017 - 20:00 BST
    Drivers' World Championship Leader: Mitchell

Constructors' World Championship Leader: Mercedes
    FIA Pole Trophy: Shellay(2)
    DHL Fastest Lap Award: Guy/Helves/Shellay(1)

Host: Jerry Moorrees (Roimata_)
    Backup Host: Thomas Glen (TomAJ91)

Post Bahrain Interview - Thomas Glen

Q - You have started the season in fine form and have finished in the top 10 in every race. How does it feel to have improved so well between 2016 and 2017? and what do you attribute this improvement to?

Well if I had to guess it would be the fact that the game, for me, feels like it did when I used to play with traction control on 2016, I have so much more grip compared to the last game, I feel the characteristics of the car suit my style more, which is balls to the wall while making the tyres last.

Q - In Bahrain you faced a very tough task defending your 4th position from the champion and you did it superbly. What kind of confidence does winning a battle like that give you and surely it must show everyone in the league that you can mix it with the best of them.

At the moment even after 3 races of a 4th, 6th and a 4th, I'm still trying to put it down to luck, I also believe Mikey had a setup issue which helped in my favour. If I get to the break and I'm still getting good results I'll start to believe. I've also kept very very clean and out of trouble which helped especially in Aus, putting me 12th to 4th.

Q - In Martijn, you have a very solid, if not spectacular team mate. You two seem very evenly matched this season so do you subscribe to the feeling of a driver one and driver two idea or are you both working together?

There is absolutely no driver 1 or driver 2 between myself and Martijn, its also really nice to see he has fixed his tyre wear issues. McLaren are looking strong for the constructors in terms of top 3.

Q - Bahrain marks the end of our first trip to the Middle East and Asia. How would you rate your first 3 races? and what are your thoughts in the upcoming Russian GP?

The first 3 races have been great, I do feel I could of got a podium in China but I spun after overtaking Guy which lost me 15-20 seconds. The Russian GP could be good but potentially boring, and I've already decided on a setup. Corner cutting will be a serious issue and will decide quite a few places.

Q - You have been many people's surprise performer this season. One thing that is yet to appear for you is a podium finish. Do you think you can get a podium, or even win a race this season? You have had two 4th places, so surely the feeling is you can take that step soon.

I've had two chances of a podium so far, in China but I spun losing 4 places but gained them back, then in Bahrain I could of had a podium if I wasn't battling with Mikey, as soon as he disconnected I started catching 3rd but ran out of time.

I wont get a race win unless the luck really falls in my favour, but never say never.

QUESTIONS
    1. We've completed 3 races so far this season and all 3 have gone flag to flag. Do you feel that you've been able to showcase your talent with the racing that has gone so far, or are you still struggling?

2. Up next we will be racing at the Sochi autodrome. Do you feel that this circuit is a welcome addition to the calendar?

3. Now that the season has finally kicked off, what short and long term goals have you set for yourself and/or with your teammate?

4. Have you been able to watch any of the streams this season? What are your thoughts and what might you like to see going forward?

5. Ask @Mikey Woolford a question . . . about anything
    Informed Absentees:
    Drew (Mercedes) - Ashley Blakeley will be reserve
    John (Toro Rosso) - Harry Green will be reserve
    Cas (Renault) - Alex Gerasimenko will be reserve

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
  2. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    I won't be available this week, so @swillisam is going to take my spot and make his debut in the league this week :)

3. Charlie89

Charlie89

Ratings:
    +5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John Roper

John Roper

Ratings:
    +1
    Not able to make it this week lads, I'm sure the barriers will miss me!

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Apologies for the lack of activity on the forums over the past few days. It'll be improved upon and you will have questions to answer shortly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Pre-race questions have been added. Have at it :)

7. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    John - thank you very much for letting us know. See you at Spain! :)

8. Martijn Boontje

Martijn Boontje

Ratings:
    +268
    Pole will be 1.40. Why? Everyone will have invalid laptimes

9. TomAJ91

TomAJ91

Ratings:
    +21
    1. We've completed 3 races so far this season and all 3 have gone flag to flag. Do you feel that you've been able to showcase your talent with the racing that has gone so far, or are you still struggling?

So far Im not struggling, my best result last season was one 4th, Ive got two of those already. I feel i should practice more if I want a podium though.

2. Up next we will be racing at the Sochi autodrome. Do you feel that this circuit is a welcome addition to the calendar?

It's pretty boring and there are really no spots for overtaking at the corner except for dangerous dive bombing, which weve seen a lot so far. Stewards will be busy after.

3. Now that the season has finally kicked off, what short and long term goals have you set for yourself and/or with your teammate?

My goal for the season is a podium, I think if Carbon can get the same results as me and visa versa McLaren are on for a very good shot for top 3.

4. Have you been able to watch any of the streams this season? What are your thoughts and what might you like to see going forward?

The streams are the best add on to this season, really enjoy seeing how everyone elses race went and Jamies commentary - this need to stay for the good of the league.

How are you feeling about this season? Shellay seems he might run away with it. Do you feel youve gained or lost pace with this years regulation changes?

10. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +37
    r

maybe Australia was very good china was so so bahrain unlucky cause my mother want to watch tv in my room [ her tv is broken] russia should be good

2. Up next we will be racing at the Sochi autodrome. Do you feel that this circuit is a welcome addition to the calendar? i find it very boring , they should scrap this one and add a another circuit like the nurburgring

3. Now that the season has finally kicked off, what short and long term goals have you set for yourself and/or with your teammate? long term: to get a win. short term: try to have fun in the races as much i can. with my teammate i don't know maybe fighting for 3rd place in constructors

4. Have you been able to watch any of the streams this season? What are your thoughts and what might you like to see going forward? the stream is enjoyable to watch [keep it up jamie:thumbsup:] maybe interview the top3 drivers after the race

5. Ask @Mikey Woolford a question .... about everything
    how big is your s#it:poop::thumbsup:. like is it big or small or medium:rolleyes:

11. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +90
    i am still ill, so that means i would be free to race tomorrow, jusst shoot me an invite if there is a space free

• Haha Haha x 1
  12. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +66
    I've been lucky with AOR being just 2 days before the races. With the break weeks now meaning I don't have all that practice, my job will get a lot tougher from here on out.

It's total trash. 1/10. Would give it a 2/10 if they filled all the run-offs with gravel.

Short term, keep getting podiums. Nothing less will do.

Jamie is great. And we all really appreciate giving up an hour every Tuesday to commentate. Would be helped by another voice in the box but his mild confusion at certain points makes it 10 times more entertaining :roflmao:

Is Sofiane Boufal a God?

13. Milos

Milos
    Had things gone my way, who knows..

Ratings:
    +5,147
    I'm struggling on this game as a whole, it's definetly not showing my talent.

No.

Winning the constructors would be nice, as long as Shellay is a good enough number 2 driver.

They're great! Wouldn't change a thing right now.

Since you've done league racing for so long, is there one race that you would say stands out as your best performance?

14. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +91
    I've been struggling from the beginning and will be the rest of the season, i have less time to practice since my wife is 27 week pregnant and i started on the new room for my first son. I do really need practice since i want to race every race without the RL.

I dont like it all, it's very boring.

Short term, learning brakepoints , turn-in points 1 track a week. Long term, be as consistent as i was with the race-line and be more familiair with the setup system of CM, so i can make my own setups. goals for this season are not more then 2 DNF and learned every track without the RL.

Jamie's video's i watch with great pleasure. really nice he's our commentator every week. maybe a nice thing to do is some pre-race interviews with everybody and the race-winner at the end.

Can you forgive me calling you Mickey for a long periode of time instead of Mikey.... please...

• Haha Haha x 1
  15. Cas_0807

Cas_0807

Ratings:
    +8
    I, unfortunately, can't make it tonight guys, due to unexpected obligations at work. Gutted that I can't defend my third place in the championship. :-(

• Sad Sad x 1
  16. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Sorry to see you miss Cas, but we can suffer at work together :(
    At least there is the stream.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jamie-Lee Mayers

Jamie-Lee Mayers
    PS4 F1 Lead Commentator Premium

Ratings:
    +709
    Unless work blocks youtube and twitch like mine does lol

• Haha Haha x 1
  18. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351
    Haven't tried it on my actual computer but I can watch it on my phone :)

19. Mitchell Haverlag

Mitchell Haverlag

Ratings:
    +87
    There is still room for improvement but in general Im happy with my racing.
    I dont really like this circuit. It doenst add anything.
    I will take it race by race. Get the best out of the races together with my teammate.
    Stream is nice to watch back as long as Jamie keeps up with all the battles.
    Why did you choose to race in cockpit cam? Do feel you are slower, equal or faster?

20. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,351

- I've only participated in 2 of the 3 and so far I'm really having a hard time getting the best out of the car. I've learned of some setup glitches that faster guys have been using so I will likely need to (as in the last edition) alter my driving style and learn how to drive accordingly.

- I have no issues with it. The track itself has a couple of tricky off-camber corners that make or break your lap. The amount of run-off I can't say I'm a fan of.

- Well, at this point, I have been in this league for 7 seasons now and I am without a win, so I am in a must-win situation or I feel that my future in this sport is going to be threatened/compromised. My teammate demands that I give my best performance each week so that is helping push me to a more elite level.

- Yes, I've watched each one of them and they are great. I agree that it would be cool to do a pre or post race interview if possible.

If you could pick one place anywhere in the world to take a vacation - money not holding you back at all - where would it be?