1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S8 Weekday Championship News and Notes hosted by Harry Green

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by HRacingGreen, Mar 18, 2017.

1. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    [​IMG]

Season 8 of the RaceDepartment Weekday Championship is now mere days away and at last the teams have confirmed the drivers that will be fighting it out across the 21 race calendar.

Of course, it is impossible not to mention the elephant in the room, or rather not in the room, as Season 7 Driver’s Champion, Simeon Lynch, is not on the grid this time around having taken the decision to take a season off citing dissatisfaction with F1 2016 as a whole. With title rival Alex Gerasimenko sticking around for Season 8 as well as a host of other fast drivers it will be interesting to see who will take the honours following Lynch’s departure.

So, onto the driver lineups for each team, in order of Constructor’s Positions in Season 7; Here is a detailed breakdown of who is where this season:

Red Bull

The reigning champions will field a whole new driver lineup for Season 8 despite the title they won in Season 7. Mikey Woolford will move up from Toro Rosso, having impressed Mr. Mateschitz in Season 7 with a number of podium finishes and a race win at Monza, this allowing him to progress from the junior team to the full squad. Alongside him will be Thomas While. Tom drove for Mercedes last season and made a strong start to the year but bad luck struck a number of times as the season progressed. It will be interesting to see how the two work with, or against, each other this season as they seem to have a good relationship and could provide a strong case for Red Bull to retain their crown.

Williams

Williams are another team to have gone for an all new pairing this year, with their champion driver stepping down and Jamie-Lee Mayers opting for a seat in the courthouse, the historic outfit have had their hand forced. Lining up for the Grove-based squad this season are Guy McClennan and rookie Jorge Diaz. Guy joined Sauber at the tail end of Season 8 and showed promising pace, inciting Williams to snap him up when they were left driverless. Alongside is Jorge Diaz. The Puerto Rican rookie shows a lot of potential and so Williams took him up on his offers to drive there, beating Force India when they were also looking to sign him on. With such high demand drivers Williams will be hoping for good results and time will tell if they made a good call.

Toro Rosso

Season 7 was a massive success for the Red Bull junior team as they ended up 3rd in the Constructor’s even when Mikey Woolford was forced into being the sole driver for a lot of the races when Ben Powney failed to meet the team’s commitment requirements. Mr Mateschitz was incredibly pleased that both of his teams were in the top 3 and Toro Rosso will be hoping to repeat their success with their new drivers. With Woolford’s promotion to the top team and Powney officially leaving, the Faenza squad is the 3rd team to take on a whole new lineup. The team will field a typical double rookie driver lineup in the form of Brad Colli and Ben Hughes, two up and coming drivers with accolades from other previous series. These hopefuls will be aiming to provide Toro Rosso with more silverware this season.

Force India

Silverstone-based team Force India had something of an upside down and inside out season in Season 7 with drivers coming and going all the time. This season they field the pairing of Harkko Helvelahti and Imran Khan. Helvelahti moves to the team from Renault in a deal done to swap Harry Green into the Renault. Having shown promising pace in Season 7 it will be interesting to see how Harkko gets on in his new Mercedes powered ride. RaceDepartment rookie Imran Khan steps up partner him in the VJM09. While a rookie in RaceDepartment, Imran has race wins and podiums in other championships and has proven himself to be a fast driver. How the dynamic will play out between these drivers is a very interesting unknown.

McLaren Honda

The Woking based legends are the first team to retain a driver for the new season. Dutchman Jerry Moorrees sticks with the team he joined towards the end of Season 7 in an effort to capture glory for the McLaren Honda partnership, saying he felt more comfortable in the McLaren and was aiming for good finishes right from the get go. Jason Warburton moves from Renault to take the wheel of the 2nd car at the team for this season. Warburton can produce good results consistently and is optimistic about his chances for good points in Season 8 and so McLaren are certainly in the discussion for good Driver’s and Constructor’s positions this season.

Mercedes

Mercedes has arguably one of the strongest driver lineups of the whole field in the form of title runner up Alex Gerasimenko and former AOR champion Karl Desimpele. Alex joined the Red Bull team after 6 races in Season 7 and quickly became a threat to Simeon Lynch despite the deficit, pushing Lynch for the title right up until Mexico when Simeon clinched it. Gerasimenko is the favourite for the title in a lot of people’s eyes and it will be interesting to see how he gets on at Mercedes. Karl Desimpele will line up alongside. The Belgian driver is known for his immense pace and is also a test driver for Codemasters themselves. He is also in the conversation for the title fight as is to be expected. Can the expertise of the tester allow him to outwit his teammate? How will the two superstars of the championship work together at the same team? This is arguably the hottest pairing we’ve seen in a while.

Ferrari

Speaking of hot pairings, Ferrari hit the grid this season with a stellar lineup of drivers. Following a disappointing Season 7, the Maranello squad will be aiming for more success this time around and their drivers will be hoping for the same. Having left Red Bull, Mitchell Haverlag will take to the wheel of the Prancing Horse for this season. A great driver, Haverlag will be aiming for more race wins and podiums this season and is another name mentioned in the championship fight discussion. Alongside is American driver Andrew Wood who moves up from Ferrari “junior” team, Haas F1. With multiple strong showings in Season 7 Wood will be hoping to build on his success and help Ferrari to a strong Constructor’s position as well as compete for the Driver’s title, for which he is also a consideration for a lot of people.

Manor Racing

The loveable minnows return to the grid this season with a strong driver lineup and high aspirations. Taking control of the MRT01 will be Michael Fleming and Callum Marshall. Fleming joined an ailing McLaren towards the end of Season 7 and immediately impressed with consistent strong finishes, but opted not to stay with the Honda powered team and instead went for a drive with Manor, preferring the car they offered to the MP4-31. He has said he aims for top 8 consistently and top 5 regularly. Callum Marshall lines up next to him. Callum is a race winner and podium sitter in other leagues and has a long history of league racing. Will his experience help him to overcome his team mate?

Renault

Suffering a troubled Season 7, Renault will be aiming to make amends in Season 8 with their driver lineup. At the helm of the R.S.16 this season will be Harry Green and Martijn Boontje. Green is a reigning GP2 champion in another series and was offered a drive by Renault for Season 8. Having stepped up to replace an exiting driver at Force India for the final rounds of S7, in which he took 2 podiums and a pole position, Harry will be aiming for more strong results this season. Who was the driver who was leaving Force India at the end of Season 7? It was in fact the other Renault driver for this season, Martijn Boontje. Boontje showed strong pace in Season 7 so these two competitive drivers could help propel Renault a little further up the championship table.

Haas/Sauber

The eagle eyed reader will have noticed that 4th placed Haas and 8th placed Sauber were omitted from this list. This is because neither team has yet confirmed their lineups for this season, just days from the opening round in Melbourne. With financial difficulties plaguing both teams, they may only field one car each at first for Season 8 or may drop out all together if they can’t find drivers or funds.

So there you have it, all the confirmed drivers for RaceDepartment Season 8. In what is sure to be a hotly contested championship, it’s anyone’s guess as to who will rise and who will fall this season. Do join us for lights out in Melbourne at 8PM GMT on 21st March 2017.

Announcement 18/03/2017

Haas F1 announce signing of Mats Braster as their sole entry for Season 8. This news means that after 24 consecutive years in Formula 1 we may see Sauber bow out of the sport for now if they cannot find a driver in time.

Announcement 19/03/2017

Haas F1 announce a shock 2nd signing of Mitchell Kelonye to partner Braster and thus complete a full two car entry for Season 8. Having been pulled from the depths, how will the Kannapolis based team fare this season?

Announcements 20/03/2017

In an amazing turn of events, reigning champions Red Bull are left without one of their drivers as Thomas While is forced to bail on the deal with the team at the last moment. Can they fill the spot before the first race or will the multi time world title holders be on the back foot from the get go?

At the death Red Bull buy Guy McClennan out of his Williams contract on a deal to ensure that they field 2 drivers this season. Williams therefore have signed Gatis Sterste to fill their now vacant spot. The Latvian driver is known for his speed so it is likely we will see him up front immediately.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Love Love x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    BREAKING NEWS

Haas F1 announce signing of Mats Braster as their sole entry for Season 8. This news means that after 24 consecutive years in Formula 1 we may see Sauber bow out of the sport for now if they cannot find a driver in time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jinCHEZ

jinCHEZ

Ratings:
    +133
    Nice read, laughed at the part about me xD

• Love Love x 1
  4. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    great post, lovely to read!

• Love Love x 1
  5. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    [​IMG]

Harkko Helvelahti will be forced to sit out multiple rounds of the championship, the Finnish driver announced yesterday.

Following a tough season opener, the Force India driver released a statement announcing he will be unable to compete for a number of rounds, citing the Canadian or European Grand Prix as the earliest point in the season he can return. Helvelahti said:

“Sorry but I can't participate. My next race will be Canada or Azerbaijan as I am still recovering from the surgery. I have a four little titanium nails on my wrist and those keep one of my bones still. Today I went to the hospital and they made me a splint and because of that I can't even reach to shift up. If something changes I will let you know and Organyx, may the Force be with you!”

Not only does this severely damage Harkko’s driver’s campaign, but also leaves his team with the issue of filling his seat until he can return.

It appears that Force India will call British driver, Grant Rivers, up to the plate. However a lack of familiarity with the team and the temporary position may hurt his chances of scoring highly, but time will tell how he gets on. It is likely that upon Harkko’s return to the team, Rivers will take up a spot in the still-entered Sauber team, unless any other vacancies appear at other teams.

Force India had been hoping for a more restrained and straightforward Season 8 campaign but already they’ve been thrown into disarray by this development. It remains to be seen how the Silverstone based squad will fare going forward.

And of course, we wish Harkko a speedy recovery so he can return to the track as quickly as possible.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Love Love x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    really love to read these threads, loving it :thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  7. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    [​IMG]

Season 8 of the RaceDepartment Weekday Championship got underway at Australia on the 21st of March and saw Alex Gerasimenko start his season off in perfect form with a win over Manor’s Michael Fleming and Red Bull star, Mikey Woolford.

QUALIFYING

In scenes akin to the same race in Season 7, qualifying for the opening championship round was a wet affair. With drivers opting to go with large fuel loads and continuously put laps in, the session saw a number of different drivers take top spot at different points as time went on. In the end, Mikey Woolford pulled out 2 consecutive stunners to put in a 1:40.032 on the full wet tyres and start his season off with a bang. Michael Fleming lined up alongside, 3 tenths back while Harry Green in the Renault managed 3rd.

RACE

The sight for the race was quite different from the scenes presented during qualifying, with bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. With qualifying having been wet the drivers were free to choose the tyres on which they started, with a variety of tyres being chosen up and down the field.

Pole sitter Mikey Woolford, along with Alex, opted for an unorthodox choice of the medium tyre to start the race on, with Mikey citing that he had a plan but would not elaborate what this entailed. All other cars in the top 10 opted for the yellow walled, soft tyre compound except for Ferrari’s Mitchell Haverlg, who went for the supersoft tyre in a strategy bid to be faster at the start of the race.

The front runners got away well and kept it clean into T1, while further behind chaos ensued. The 9th place starter Andrew Wood was involved in an incident with Mercedes’ Karl Desimpele and Renault’s Martijn Boontje. Boontje made it through okay with a little wing damage with Wood and Desimpele bearing the brunt of the impact. The Ferrari driver was demoted to last and Desimpele was forced to pit for a new wing at the end of Lap 1. Further along the lap Wood made a mistake and too lost some front wing, but opted to continue. At T13 on L1, further up the field, the McLaren off Jerry Moorrees and the slow starting Harry Green came to blows, resulting in the Renault driver falling down to P19 and the McLaren dropping a number of places as well. At T15 on the same lap, Woolford clipped an attacking Michael Fleming and lost some front wing, something that had the potential to cost him the win.

As the race progressed and some cars made their stops, the drivers that lost out at the beginning began to make up some ground. McLaren’s Jerry Moorrees retired following a huge 4 way crash on the pit straight that cost a lot of drivers time, however there was a surprising lack of safety car. During this second stint, the Ferrari drivers came together in S2. Woolford had been playing the strategy game and aimed to pit late from his medium tyres, however he sped into the pitlane when coming in and was forced to take a drive through penalty. Alex, Fleming and Williams debutant Gatis Sterste had made a clear statement at the front of the pack, with Guy McClennan running 4th in the Red Bull. Harry Green had managed to come through to 5th following his stop onto the mediums to go to the end. However, with 8 laps remaining, Guy lost control of his car on the exit of the fast T11/12 chicane and hit the inside wall, destroying his car and bringing the safety car out. All drivers opted to pit for fresh Supersoft tyres to go the end. The now 4th placed Harry Green sped into the pitlane as he came in and was force to serve a drive through, however mistakenly attempted to serve it under the safety car and was forced to pit once more before serving it after the safety car, leaving him to scrap for single figure points for the remaining laps. Woolford, having just served his drive through, seemed to be on the back foot, however with the safety car was promoted to 4th on a fresh set of tyres.

The field got underway again with 4 laps to go on lap 25 and a battle at the front commenced, seeing Fleming, Sterste and Gerasimenko battling it out. With Sterste receiving track limites penalties, Alex simply had to focus on Fleming and keeping him at bay for the win. Woolford clipped a backmarker on the restart and damaged a 3rd wing, meaning he was once again struggling for grip. Haverlag in the Ferrari had managed to maintain 5th place in the race despite two incidents with his teammate, who had dropped outside the points again having made up so much ground previously.

At the end of the race, Alex Gerasimenko took the win, with Michael Fleming and Mikey Woolford completing the podium. Jason Warburton came through for a stunning points finish on his McLaren debut in 8th, while reserve driver Ashley Blakely finished 10th. Harry Green and Andrew Wood, Renault and Ferrari drivers respectively, were disappointed with their low finishes and will be hoping to come back strong in Bahrain. Karl Desimpele, in the counterpart Mercedes, recovered from his torrid start to finish 7th while Force India debutant made a strong start to come home 6th.

Following the race, Alex said , in an interview: “It's a great feeling to pick up right where I left off last season. It was a very tricky race with the wet qualifying allowing different tyre strategies and the safety car at the end, so I am extremely pleased that all these factors worked in my favour today.”

When asked about his strategy choices he remarked: “I thought I’d be stuck behind drivers that might be slower than me on pace, so to negate this disadvantage I chose to start on the "slowest" compound to minimize my time loss and then to utilise the Soft or Supersoft at the end of the race. Early incidents are always a risk, but I've done alternative strategies many times during my career so I know very well how to move myself within the midfield, therefore I took the gamble and it paid off.”

For a full transcript of his interview, head over to the Bahrain GP race thread.

So with the season opener concluded, we’re left with some answers and more questions. With what is sure to be a dry weekend, how will we see the true qualifying pace of the field evolve? How will the drivers fare under the desert lights? And will we see a new winner, or will Alex make it 2/2 at Sakhir? Join us at 8PM GMT, 28th March for all the action from the Bahrain Grand Prix.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 4
  8. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +79
    you're a legend for doing these

• Love Love x 1
  9. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    Absolutely incredible. Truly is.

• Love Love x 1
  10. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    Love to read these, you are really good with it. I even picture the words in my mind.

Keep up these post makes it special within this league:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    [​IMG]

The Bahrain GP has come and gone with Mikey Woolford picking up the win, his first since his win for the sister Toro Rosso team at the Season 7 Italian GP, with Alex Gerasimenko in 2nd and Michael Fleming rounding out the podium. This marks the second time in 2 races that these drivers have finished on the podium in one order or another, truly cementing them as title contenders.

Qualifying

The skies above the Sakhir International Circuit painted a much darker and drier picture compared to those of Melbourne for qualifying. While cloud cover hung ominously overhead, not a drop of rain fell throughout the session and a straight shootout was held between the drivers. Mikey Woolford took his 2nd pole of the season while Renault's Harry Green lined up on the front row with him, 2 tenths off of Woolford's time. Mitchell Haverlag was 3rd for Ferrari, a further tenth back while his teammate Andrew Wood was just 13th.

Race

The desert provided another session of dry running for the drivers at the start of the race. The only cars to qualify and thus start in the top 10 on the soft tyre were Mercedes' Alex Gerasimenko and the Manor driver, Michael Fleming, who qualified in 7th and 9th respectively.

Woolford led the pack away at lights out and held the lead into T1 as the fast starting Karl Desimpele moved into 2nd from his 4th place grid spot into T1. Further down the grid all the cars made it through unscathed. Immediately, Desimpele set about relieving Woolford of the lead early on while, for the 2nd race in a row, Harry Green began to fall back from the leading pair and quickly lost 3rd to Mitchell Haverlag in his Prancing Horse.

Further back, Andrew Wood was attempting to gain places in the second Ferrari having had a slightly compromised start as the midfield jostled for position into the opening laps.

Back at the front, Desimpele's charge on Woolford was starting to peter out as his tyre life began to drop off it seemed, while Woolford managed his from the front. Haverlag began to close up and was all over Desimpele by Lap 3, followed closely by Green's Renault and Sterste's Williams. Into T1 of Lap 4 Haverlag made the move up the inside of Desimpele for 2nd, although the Mercedes driver put up a fight through T2 & 3. Into T4, Desimpele got the slipstream and made a move on the outside, getting the cutback on an understeering Haverlag and just slipping the car up the inside into the esses of 5 & 6. The compromised line left an opportunity for Green to retake a podium position but as Haverlag ran wide and forced the Renault out, Sterste dived up the inside of the pair of them into the hairpin and moved from 5th to 3rd in one corner.

The still struggling Desimpele was now backing all 3 cars behind him up, and into T1 Haverlag retook 3rd from Sterste and came alongside Desimpele into T2. As Sterste attempted to repass Haverlag, however, he made contact with the Ferrari and span out through T2, gifting P4 back to Green and giving 5th to a closing Jerry Moorrees in the McLaren.

Later that lap, Harry Green lost the rear of his Renault heading through T10 and hit the inside wall, knocking his front wing heavily and forcing him to pit early.

At the front, Woolford retained his lead while Desimpele also pitted on L5, loving Haverlag into 3rd.

A little further into the race, Desimpele crashed out in his Mercedes. Green, Wood and Fleming were all on charges through the field, Fleming moving into 3rd, while Gerasimenko and Woolford battled it out for the lead.

It looked like the race was decided following a safety car for Jason Warburton's retirement, with Gerasimenko set to take the win and Woolford coming second, but Gerasimenko had an unbeknownst penalty for track limits (he appelaed this post race but was rejected). In the mid pack, Mats Braster and Moorrrees were fighting for 7th on the final lap when Braster went for a move up the inside of a defending Moorrees and made heavy contact, warranting a post race penalty. This promoted Green to 7th, Brad Colli in his Toro Rosso to 8th (this became 6th with penalties for Guy McClennan and Green) and Sterste back into the points, with Moorrees managing to recover 9th.

Overall, this race showed yet more championship promise from Michael Fleming, Mikey Woolford and Alex Gerasimenko. Ferrari did well to finish 4th and 5th after a troubled opening round while Toro Rosso will be looking to score points again in China, with Colli's 6th being their first haul of the season, something that is somewhat disappointing for a team that was so successful in Season 7.

Renault are in dire need of a rethink following another hugely disappointing race for Green and a troubled evening for Martijn Boontje. Green's promise in qualifying has not yet been rewarded with good finishing positions, while Boontje's Top 10 qualifying position was not rewarded as he suffered multiple punctures throughout the race. What can they do come China and the rounds afterwards? A full interview with Harry Green, touching on the subject of his poor results so far, will be transcribed at the foot of the page.

So, Woolford takes pole and the win in Bahrain and hopes to start building momentum while Gerasimenko and Fleming both cement their title positions.

Up next, the ever unpredictable Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai International Circuit.

Post-Race Interview - Harry Green

Q -
    So with two races down and with experience building. How do you feel your season is shaping up so far?
    Its been a tough start for sure, I've not been where I wanted to be in either of the opening races. But with that said, I also wasn't coming into these races with high hopes. These are known weak tracks for me and I'm still adjusting to the new car as well as my step up to full no-assists. Hopefully once we reach Europe my season can start to move on.

Q -
    It is fair to say that you didn't enjoy the best time in Bahrain. After showing such promising pace in Qualifying to start 2nd, what do you think is causing the drop in race finishing?
    Qualifying has always been a strong point for me, however at Bahrain it was simply my own mistake starting a chain reaction that led to compromised strategy, more contact and a thoroughly difficult race. As I adjust to my new team and my new challenge I aim to build consistency over the season and iron out these early race mistakes and start to fight for positions more in line with where my quali pace puts me.

Q -
    You've come into this season with a big pedigree from the lower formula and that pedigree means that a lot of eyes are on you. What do you do to cope with the pressure?
    I've never been too affected by pressure really, even in championship deciding scenarios I don't let it get to me. To maintain this I suppose I just keep myself grounded, I don't get ahead of myself. I take each race lap by lap and I'm always prepared for worst case scenarios.

Q -
    After a disappointing result in Bahrain, we remain away from Europe and head to China for the next race. What are your hopes for the race?
    China is an interesting circuit, the long straight and huge slipstream are going to provide a lot of back and forth battles for sure. I've never been hugely strong there and previously struggled with tyre wear, however as my driving style has matured I've come to enjoy the circuit and master the tyre wear issue. It helps that the great stability of the Renault engine and car combo really come into play at this circuit, which I'm really glad about. The car is good so now I need to back that up with results. If I can iron out my early race mistakes, I'm hoping to fight for a podium here and really jumpstart my season.

Q -
    China has a reputation for unpredictable weather conditions. In the event of a wet race, which drivers do you think will have the upper hand, and will you be above them?
    Mikey [Woolford] showed in Australia that he has great wet pace, as did Michael [Fleming]. I qualified up there with those two that day and with a fantastic track record in the wet elsewhere, I think I'll be able gain to take advantage and really show what I can do when the going gets slippery. I really enjoy the wet and Shanghai Int'l is a really fun and rewarding circuit in those tricky conditions. Truth be told, I'll be over the moon if it rains come race day.

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    China
    [​IMG]
    Harry Green came out on top of a dry-wet race at the Shanghai Circuit ahead of Mercedes' Alex Gerasimenko to finally kickstart Renault's season and launch himself into a stronger driver's position. Green, qualifying 2nd in the wet, opted to start on the medium tyre and pulled off a one stop strategy with a prolonged rain shower from L4 not requiring intermediate tyres until much later on in the race, forcing the other drivers to make an extra stop that didn't pay off.

Russia
    [​IMG]
    Mikey Woolford struck back in a dominant display at the Russian Grand Prix. A wet qualifying session saw the Williams of Gatis Sterste take a convincing pole position, almost half a second over 2nd placed Woolford and 3rd placed Green. Gerasimenko struggled in the damp conditions again and could only manage P8 in his Mercedes. Michael Fleming crashed out early on in the session, so had to start from last.

The race began smoothly, with Williams debutant Tom Glen making a stunning start to challenge for the lead through T1 and towards the braking zone for T2. However, he was sadly tagged and lost ground out of the first proper corner. The rest of the grid made it through fairly cleanly.

Woolford and Sterste made a break for it in the opening laps, almost working together to build the gap to the rest of the pack, while Green's Renault became entangled with the Ferraris of Haverlag and Wood.

It came time for pitstops and Green opted to come in a lap early to attempt to jump away from the Ferraris and close down on Sterste's Williams, knowing that tyre wear at the extremely low deg circuit was not an issue. This ultimately paid off as 2 laps later, Sterste emerged from the pits with Green right on his gearbox. However, coming into T5 on the next lap, Green missed his braking point and ran wide with the backend coming round on the dusty run off. This propelled him back onto the racing line as Haverlag came around the corner, entirely unsighted. The Ferrari smashed into the Renault, wiping out the front right corner and ending Green's race, while the Ferrari needed a new front wing.

This incident brought out the safety car while the stricken Enstone car was recovered. Upon restart, Woolford led the field away and rebuilt the gap he'd pulled out in the pitstop phase, having pulled off a beautiful overcut strategy. At T4, however, Jerry Moorrees was run out wide by the recovering Gerasimenko and was forced to rejoin the track right next to Glen in the second Williams. They made contact and Glen lost his front wing while the following Ferrari of Wood was collected in the incident as well.

With a few laps left, Karl Desimpele made it up to 3rd and Gerasimenko to 5th, righting some of the wrongs from Mercedes' dire qualifying.

Woolford's victory makes him the first double winner of the season so far, having had 3 winners in 3 races previously, and truly presents him as a serious title contender for this season. After such a strong showing in China, Green was disappointed to suffer yet another blow to Renault's Driver's and Constructor's title aspirations while Gerasimenko performed maximum damage limitation. With the Euro season starting to pick up steam, how will the main protagonists of the championship continue to work with, or againt, each other. Find out, as RaceDepartment heads to Circuit de Barcelone-Catalunya this week, a testing track familiar to every driver, for Round 5 of the championship.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2