1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S8: Round 8 - European Grand Prix

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by Mikey Woolford, May 4, 2017.

1. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    [​IMG]
    Race Department - F1 2016 - Weekday Championship | Season 8
    Round 8: - Tuesday - 9/5/2017 - 20:00 GMT

Drivers' World Championship Leader: Mike W
    Constructors' World Championship Leader: Red Bull
    FIA Pole Trophy: Mikey Woolford (3)
    DHL Fastest Lap Award: Andrew Wood, Alex G, Jerry, Mitchell Haverlag, Mike Woolford, Sean VB and Desimpele (1)

Questions to drivers:
    Everyone: After two perilous races within the confines of close walls the task simply doesn't get easier as we head to Baku. Nobody will have much experience on this track and as a result, do you think it will be easier to make a mistake, or will you be taking it a little bit more careful?

Everyone: This track reminds me very much of Monaco but there is one difference, the iconic 20+ full throttle ''straight'' at the end of the lap. I would expect this to be where the majority of the overtaking will take place. How many other places on track can you think of to pass?

Everyone: The WDC and WCC was thrown wide open on lap 5 in Canada, when championship leader Woolford ended up in the wall after a tangle with Roimata. This throws a lifeline to Alex as well as providing motivation to a majority of other drivers. How do you think he will come back from this?

Jerry: A phenomenal lap gained you pole position in Canada, just explain to us how good the lap felt and how it felt to be at the top of the standings?

Karl: Many believe you were on for a certain win in Canada before an electrical fault struck. How disappointing was it to have lost the lead in that manner?

Andrew: A terrific performance from yourself and Mitchell in Canada really underlined your credentials as WCC contenders and also proved your ever improving speed. Can you keep the good run going?

2. jinCHEZ

jinCHEZ

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah it's not that much it cost me the win, but this season (I count all leagues then) it hasn't gone my way yet, almost every race there is something and even if this was only when I was going for a podium and got the same, I would have felt the same way.

Either way, already called the provider and it will be fixed!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Everyone: After two perilous races within the confines of close walls the task simply doesn't get easier as we head to Baku. Nobody will have much experience on this track and as a result, do you think it will be easier to make a mistake, or will you be taking it a little bit more careful?

I definitely feel like I thrive on these temporary street circuits, especially when I have a car that is planted and has great mechanical grip. I think that my strengths come in to play here so I am expecting a great result.

Everyone: This track reminds me very much of Monaco but there is one difference, the iconic 20+ full throttle ''straight'' at the end of the lap. I would expect this to be where the majority of the overtaking will take place. How many other places on track can you think of to pass?

I think it is tough to make passes anywhere else on the circuit really, especially with how tight everyone is up at the front of the order. I would assume most of the passing will occur on this straightaway as predicted.

Everyone: The WDC and WCC was thrown wide open on lap 5 in Canada, when championship leader Woolford ended up in the wall after a tangle with Roimata. This throws a lifeline to Alex as well as providing motivation to a majority of other drivers. How do you think he will come back from this?

My guess is it'll be pretty easy for Mike to be back on form, especially as he had a nice buffer in the points already. I definitely thought of this exact scenario yesterday when I realized that our previous race winners this season all had misfortunes or did not turn up, allowing for some of the other top 10 runners to gain some ground in the championship.

======

Andrew: A terrific performance from yourself and Mitchell in Canada really underlined your credentials as WCC contenders and also proved your ever improving speed. Can you keep the good run going?

You better believe it. I have worked very hard on finding my pace and implementing a driving style that suits me best and as predicted, the rewards are paying great dividends. So far, I've felt like I've contended for podiums in every single race this season, which is something that I have never been able to say in any previous league that I've competed in. To have a race where I needed to change my strategy on the fly and still come out on top felt really good. I just need to continue to work on maximizing on others' mistakes and I can see myself sitting really pretty in the WDC. The WCC is also on my mind and I think that Mitchell and I can score double podiums at least 2-3 more times this season.

My goal is to get 200 points this season. Stay tuned.

4. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    i hate baku and it will be a shitfest, especially in the castle section i expect some of the inexperienced drivers to drop it

i think the 2nd DRS straight is a similarly good overtaking spot, but most of the action will definetly happen at the main straight

we will see, certianly the last few races worked out horribly for me, so it can only get better for me. I know that on a good day i have the pace to beat everyone, but we have a really good competition now at the front so, i have to be on it from now on, if i want to stand a chance in the title fight

5. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    I have finished quite a few 50% races here especially when the game first released. However it is still a track that needs to be approached with some level of caution.

People often get poor exits from Turn 12 ( I think it's 12) that leads onto two flat out kinks in the middle sector. If Juan is brave, they can make a move there.

He seems a lot more comfortable with the Red Bull than with the Toro Rosso. I just expect him to keep performing like he has done, which forces other drivers to do something special to beat him.

6. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    That's a better attitude. Keep it up!

7. GuytheGuy17

GuytheGuy17

Ratings:
    +10
    The lack of experience on this track will probably result in crashes rather than a close feild but I think it will be a slipstream train between the already close front pack.

I think this is where people will wait to make the pass but the second DRS straight is a good opportunity providing you can get a second gap before the pit straight. You can also dive it up the inside into the corner at the start of sector 3 but that is pointless as you will just be reovertaken. This circuit is swipe for a move on DRS down the pit straight.

As Alex was away it did not cost him as much as it could have but it allowed others to close the gap and enter the fight for both the WDC and the WCC. Hopefully he comes back with a good result at Baku.

8. TomAJ91

TomAJ91

Ratings:
    +11

I'm top of everyone I have as friends here on TT with assists on, ive been practising to get my non assists time down and so far that deficit is about 1 second. I wont be taking it careful here as I feel this is a track I can get a better finish at.

I think the 2nd DRS straight is nearly as good as the pit straight for passing.

As far as I can tell so far Woolford seems to be maybe not the fastest but absolutely the most consistent, I feel he'll bounce back no problem.

9. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66

Last season i haven't finished the race because i got hit in the back on the beginning of the long straight after the SC. I think the track on 50% is way more different then in TT since in TT you can go full throttle on the last corner but in the race there is some difference, so i will take it some caution in Baku.

the two straights will be overtaking spots and maybe after the 'S' turn in the middle if you have good exit.

I think Woolford we come back from this the minute he will also perform in AOR as he isn't in AOR in the couple of first races. I don't know what it is but i think it is a mental think. will be a competitive championship for the win this season

=====

Jerry: A phenomenal lap gained you pole position in Canada, just explain to us how good the lap felt and how it felt to be at the top of the standings?

indeed what a lap it was, although in my previous league i would have gotten a penalty because both wheels where inside the white lines at some points. after my super soft lap which felt really good i went out on the ultra's just to be sure nobody passed me again, but outlap felt so good i though i give it a try, first corner did the breaking with gearing down and also used my own breaking points a bit and the race-line was there just to help me get into the next corner. the setup i used felt really nice and had really great traction, also over the passed couple of week i learned a bit to counter steer a bit and that worked out perfectly. my hart was really pumping fast the last straight because you can lose a lot of time there and was already purple in both sectors. In the end went over the finish line POLE position, really great jeff also confirmed that :). felt great but also worried a bit because of the great race pace the top 5 had. (continue.. read my race report :) )

• Like Like x 2
  10. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    I always have solid consistency at this track so I'm not too worries, but time will tell. Wet weather could have an impact. I only really struggle with the downhill right hander right at the end of the lap.

Into T1, T2, T3, T5 and 6 and then into the aforementioned right hander. Lots of opportunities on the game compared to real life.

He will come back for sure, his pace is excellent and he won't give up. I'm aiming to string some good finishes together and just try to start moving up the table throughout this European leg to give him, Alex and Shellay a run for the title.

11. Harkko Helvelahti

Harkko Helvelahti
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    Main target for me is finishing the race but if there is somehow chance to finnish on the points then of course i will be going more aggressively.

Not many. Turn 3 and the straight before it.

Seriously I haven't paid much attention to this season championship.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    I see what you did there :p

• Like Like x 2
  13. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    Actually looking forward to tonight. Such a fun circuit to drive. Just hope my race lasts longer than 3 corners.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    I am not looking forward to this chaps. Finishing is the aim.

15. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    Well you should have... BECAUSE YOUR BOYS ON TOP OF THE WORLD RIGHT NOW. BOOOM

16. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    this will be such a terrieble race, i am already scraping for austria to arrive and with that the good old european tracks

• Like Like x 1
  17. GuytheGuy17

GuytheGuy17

Ratings:
    +10
    If I don't end up in a wall then that will be a success.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    same here so far not a single league race i finished here.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Well, I'm confident. With this being the site of my first ever league racing win I've not got any of the worries the others do. This means I will almost certainly bottle it I imagine.

20. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    If you don't want to be victim of azerbaidjan special armed forces you rather keep that racing line turned off...

• Like Like x 1