1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S8: Round 7 - Canadian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by Mikey Woolford, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    [​IMG]
    Race Department - F1 2016 - Weekday Championship | Season 8
    Round 7: - Tuesday - 2/5/2017 - 20:00 GMT

Drivers' World Championship Leader: Mike W
    Constructors' World Championship Leader: Red Bull
    FIA Pole Trophy: Mikey Woolford (3)
    DHL Fastest Lap Award: Andrew Wood, Alex G, Jerry, Mitchell Haverlag, Mike Woolford and Sean VB (1)

Questions to drivers:
    Everyone: We finally escape the perils of the Monaco Harbour but jump straight into a track with similarly close walls and danger in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Will your experience at Monaco allow you to be more aggressive here?

Everyone: The wall of champions has claimed many a racer over the years, including the current championship leader. Who do you think will end up in the wall this time round

Everyone: For once, we had a fully dry, no safety car event in Monaco. However, with the Canadian conditions favouring a humid and wet weekend we may see a repeat of last season. How do you adapt, knowing that it could be a wet race.

Everyone: Personally, I think the Canadian Grand Prix is one of those events that doesn't add much prestige to the calendar and also doesn't provide much of a driving challenge. It does however, provide some terrific racing as seen over the past few years. Would you trade this track on the calendar for another event? Say, A return to Magny-Cours, or the Nurburgring?

Alex: That's 2 DNF's in two races now but miraculously you are still 2nd in the WDC. However, with a 52 point gap to Woolford at the top, are your eyes still looking forward, or are you more focused on Harry and Shellay behind?

Harry: Your season has comprised of either dominating wins, or languishing in the lower half of the points. How do you intend to find consistency?

Jason: After finishing a tough and gruelling race such as Monaco, surely the relief of coming back to a track where the walls are slightly more forgiving is an attractive proposition. What do you think of the Canadian Grand Prix?

2. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120
    Everyone: We finally escape the perils of the Monaco Harbour but jump straight into a track with similarly close walls and danger in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Will your experience at Monaco allow you to be more aggressive here?

I doubt it

Everyone: The wall of champions has claimed many a racer over the years, including the current championship leader. Who do you think will end up in the wall this time round

Karl

Everyone: For once, we had a fully dry, no safety car event in Monaco. However, with the Canadian conditions favouring a humid and wet weekend we may see a repeat of last season. How do you adapt, knowing that it could be a wet race.

I prefer the wet, unpredictability means more points up for grabs for me.

Everyone: Personally, I think the Canadian Grand Prix is one of those events that doesn't add much prestige to the calendar and also doesn't provide much of a driving challenge. It does however, provide some terrific racing as seen over the past few years. Would you trade this track on the calendar for another event? Say, A return to Magny-Cours, or the Nurburgring?

I like it, its one of my favourite tracks.

Jason: After finishing a tough and gruelling race such as Monaco, surely the relief of coming back to a track where the walls are slightly more forgiving is an attractive proposition. What do you think of the Canadian Grand Prix?

None of these tracks are attractive to me at the moment, i'm struggling to find any confidence on track since Australia, I managed not to die in Monaco, but I cost McLaren 2 million pounds in front wings and drove the slowest I've ever gone. I also had connection issues to add to these woes...

I'm hoping to be there but it may be my last race if I cant find my confidence again.

3. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    I almost bankrupted Toro Rosso last season with Front Wing repairs. It'll get better.

4. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    As a track that I really have come to enjoy driving recently but one I don't have great pace at, I'm not aiming for pure aggression and speed.

Is Drew here? If so, him. Maybe Karl if his luck continues or Shellay when his pad inevitably fails him in that final chicane.

Well I love the wet so more of that would be very welcome. I always approach wet races with more confidence in my pace relative to others than the dry.

No, I like this track and event and it has produced some incredible moments over the years (Schumacher hitting the wall, Kubica's crash, Hamilton's first win, Kubica's and BMW Sauber's first and only win, Button 2011, Ricciardo 2014). Its not a complicated track and nor is it a country steeped in racing pedigree but Canada always adds something. Just a shame it has to sit in such a ridiculous place on the calendar due to weather restraints.

Harry: Your season has comprised of either dominating wins, or languishing in the lower half of the points. How do you intend to find consistency?
    Improve my practice regime. My season so far has included very little practice however as school winds down and we hit tracks that I really like (Austria, Germany, Hungary, everything from Singapore to Mexico) I'll have a lot more time and motivation to practice, and that's where I plan to find the consistency I had in Monaco and have had in AOR.

5. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Good guess. Statistically, this is the track I've had the most DNFs (4)- only one at the last chicane though

6. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300

I had to miss the Monaco GP due to other commitments, however, I think that a week off did me some good and helped reset my focus a bit and I think I can hit the ground at what I consider to be my home GP.

Due to the boneheaded mistakes I saw earlier this year, I'm gonna throw it right back at Harry.

Last season's race was wet and was one of my least favorite races last season because I was absolutely nowhere with no confidence in my driving or my car setup. I essentially spent 1 hr driving alone except for a 2 lap battle with Mark if you could even call it that. My wet pace has been improving so I'll be ready but I hope I get to participate in a dry race since I missed Monaco.

I think this circuit is unique in its own way that I wouldn't want it traded. I hope to attend maybe one day before it could possibly disappear, but I would rather have this race + an iconic one from the past as well :)

7. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66

Canada was one of my favorite tracks when i just bought the game, but since then i really dont have just one favorite track anymore, but there are also difficult corners where you really need to watch your TSC, more or less aggressive depends on the situation. I also been practicing all GP we did so far without the race-line, so i might try this one without for once.

I think it will be mazias, since he really is pushing lately and wants to fight for the win.

Last season's race was wet and boring as hell, was also our first wet race if i remember correctly. wet qually will be nice to have, but a dry race will spice thinks more up here then in the wet.

I totally agree with the driving challenge, although there are some pretty difficult corners with ALL assists off. but i dont want to trade this one in for another event since it also nice to have a "easier" track during the season. Also because of the lower difficulty i think i might turn off my last 'on' assist the race-line.

8. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    At Monaco I had to drive at 50% due to pad related reasons. It will be nice to be able to push like crazy at Canada which is what I plan to do. Finished on the podium at every race I've started this season, the top step is now my only goal.

Any of the pad users would be good guesses. I think if there are any crashes there it will be because people are wheel-to-wheel, and not because of an unforced error.

Just put up with it. Really would like another dry weekend as my pace around here is fairly poor. The more I drive the track in the dry, the better.

For me it is one track that should NEVER be removed from the calendar. Simple track, beautiful setting, great fans, fantastic racing. So many memories of watching this circuit growing up. Magny-Cours is only entertaining if Hakkinen is driving, Nurburgring is a little too narrow for my liking. Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is brilliant. It's just a shame Lewis #Blessington is so strong at it :unsure::unsure:

9. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Now introducing the most #Blessed flavour of energy drinks too

10. TomAJ91

TomAJ91

Ratings:
    +11

When I used assists this was one of my fastest tracks, I will not conceed track postion here, in monaco I was very submissive but if you want to try and go two into the wall of champions, we will be going in together.

It'll probably be me due to the fact that someone will try and outbrake me into the corner and we'll both get taken out. My body is ready

I'm happy with a wet race, it seems to cancal out a bit of the advantage wheel users have over me.

I like Canada, its such a great mix of corners and straights, almost Chinas western brother, and see no reason why it should be replaced.

11. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    Crazy that in 6 races we've had 6 different
    fastest lap setters

• Like Like x 1
  12. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +79
    have to miss this one, going out with the mates to watch the Madrid Derby,

congratz on your title @Mikey Woolford ;);)

• Haha Haha x 1
  13. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    *@HRacingLine2400

14. Ashley Blakeley

Ashley Blakeley

Ratings:
    +212
  15. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    I have almost half Mikey's points but okay :p

16. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    If I drive like I have been in AOR. There's a real chance that I'll not be in the lead of the champ by Germany.

17. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    If all the RD crew drive like they did in AOR @Shly38 is gonna be champ :p

18. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    everybody went too AOR? so future of RD or development in this league is minimal? or do we all switch over to AOR next season? what is the plan of RaceDepartment?

19. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +79
    two completly different leagues, i think if RD sticks to a community driven more lighthearted approach rather then pure competetition like AOR it has a good future, i mean this season the races were fun, the competition was good and don't forget that Andrew brought half of AOR GP2 last season into this league^^

as i said already a few times: more promotion from the site and a proper commentated stream would really boost the league, but i think Mikey knows what he is doing ;););)

20. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Don't worry Jerry - I am under the impression that everyone in this league is happy and satisfied and only looking for some more competition out there for another night a week. So far, this league is much better attended than last season.