1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S8: Round 4 - Russian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by Mikey Woolford, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    [​IMG]
    Race Department - F1 2016 - Weekday Championship | Season 8
    Round 4: - Tuesday - 11/04/2017 - 20:00 GMT

Drivers' World Championship Leader: Alex G
    Constructors' World Championship Leader: Mercedes*
    FIA Pole Trophy: Mikey Woolford(2)
    DHL Fastest Lap Award: Andrew Wood, Alex G and Mitchell Haverlag (1)*

Post-Race Interview - Andrew Wood

Q - Despite another promising performance from Ferrari, many people feel that there is more to come from the outfit and that yourself and Mitchell aren't quite jelling right now. How do you think the opening 3 races have gone and do you think there is more to come?

The opening 3 races have been interesting to say the least. I have really had to up my game over the season break in order to keep my face up front as we have new motivated and fast people joining up to race with. Australia was really disappointing with an unlucky incident in the closing stages that really ruined an otherwise amazing charge to the front, but I really knuckled down at Bahrain where I am otherwise rather weak and tried to maintain a similar pace at China in very tricky driving conditions. Mitchell and I are working well as a team and trying to hoist ourselves higher up the field.

Q - Yourself and Mitchell seem quite matched on pace, which has come as a surprise to many in the paddock who saw Mitchell as the outright faster driver, based on last seasons results. It's fair to say that so far, you have more than matched him. What do you think has contributed to the leveling of pace?

I would like to think that, although I am ready to accept a role as a number 2 driver within a team, I do not want to be completely outclassed, and I know for a fact that's not what the team boss wants. As a team, we have to be ready to pick up the slack if the faster driver has some dramas during the race and I need to do my share to help out with the constructors. I have never felt comfortable being faster than my teammate because otherwise I have no motivation to improve my overall driving, which is why I teamed up with Saif last year and Mitchell this year. It has paid off especially this season as Mitchell has given me so many tips to help improve my hot lap pace , my consistency, and what my mental state needs to be when it's time for the real deal.

Q - After colliding in Australia and suffering from punctures in China, it's obvious to say that we haven't yet seen the most from this team. In the pecking order, where do you see yourselves as drivers and as a team?

I absolutely think that Mitchell is a title contender and once the rust gets completely shaken off - look out. I think that he will win more races than he did last season and help keep the championship interesting. As for myself, I see myself exactly where I ran in the beginning laps of China - just clinging on to the back end of that lead group which is stellar as I enter my 5th season of this league, thinking about where I used to be. I say we have a fair shot at the constructors title as a duo but it will not be easy.

Q - The first 3 races have seen 3 different winners. How soon will it be until we see you on the podium, and even better, on the top step?

I predict that it won't be before long that you see me on the podium. I definitely had an opportunity at all 3 events so far to reach the podium but it just wasn't in the cards for me. As for a race win, it's something that I want so bad - and it would be great to take the win at a track that I have not seen the top step at yet, but I will really need an absolute perfect race from flag to flag to achieve that. I hope I see that this season.

Q - We now head to Russia, a more stop start track more reminiscent of Bahrain than China. What expectations do you have for this event?

Well, last season at this track I led my first ever laps in this league (albeit it was due to me not taking to the pits) but it was at this track that I made a turning point in terms of finding myself and finding my pace so I think I have a good shot to run up front yet again. Unfortunately, it's uncertain right now how much preparation I can do for this race so I might have to resort to using last season's data and hope for the best, but I will not give up!

If you cannot attend
    If you cannot attend this event, please post in the thread to allow us suitable time to organise replacements. If you do not attend and do not inform us then you will be given an attendance strike. 3 strikes and you are demoted from a full time drive to reserve or requested to not attend further events. Strikes are noted in the Sign-up Thread

Reserve Drivers
    If you are a reserve driver and you want to take part, please do let us know by answering the questions in this thread and we will try to fit you in.

Questions to drivers:
    Everyone: We finish our first foray into Asia and head into the European leg of the championship. Howe do you rate your Asian experience?

Everyone: Russia is a stop start track, more reminiscent of Bahrain. Does this style of track suit you better than the flowing Chinese GP?

Everyone: For the 2nd time in 3 races we experienced rain in Qualifying. How do you think your preparations have been interrupted by this weather?

2. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    Everyone: We finish our first foray into Asia and head into the European leg of the championship. How do you rate your Asian experience?
    I love a good Asian experience.

Everyone: Russia is a stop start track, more reminiscent of Bahrain. Does this style of track suit you better than the flowing Chinese GP?
    Eurrgh. My weakest track on the Calendar, alongside Hungary. Sector 3 is fun. Don't like sector 2, but tyre wear (or lack of it) is always fun around here.

Everyone: For the 2nd time in 3 races we experienced rain in Qualifying. How do you think your preparations have been interrupted by this weather?
    Rain helped me in AUS, it is welcome any time:thumbsup:

3. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Everyone: We finish our first foray into Asia and head into the European leg of the championship. Howe do you rate your Asian experience?
    The opening 2 races were disasters and I was about to brace for a tough season until at least the Spanish GP, however China was a great race for me and picking up the win really motivated me to close out this weak run of tracks strong before I hit my stride in Europe.

On 2015 I was mega here but with the way the seasons were run I never got to show my hand here in any leagues. On 2016 I'm not as strong, however I did take my first AOR/league racing pole at this track, so we'll see how it goes.

Not at all, I love the wet and proved the wet weather is my best type of track condition with my strong performances in the rain compared to my dry performance. Plus, it gives me a free strategy ticket which is always welcome, since it negates the deficit in tyre life and strategy I usually have.

4. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    Better then in my local Asia Buffet

Russia is a awful track, should be removed from the calendar, i will race again with the ukranian falg for this race, and when i win i will show the middle finger to putin lol.

not at all, i will do more wet practice in general, but china was a really positive experience for me as i really stepped up my wet game during the race, so i actually hope to see a Wet race to further improve my wet form and build on my momentum

5. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    It was fun, but me and my teammate didn't got al the points we could have grabbed.

So far this track i raced the most in multiplayer, but is also know for the biggest crashes in Lap 1 on the first long straight. Love this track more because i have more race time here.

For some reasons i didn't qually like i do in the Dry. Australian GP i made some big misstakes, at China i had to go downstairs and didn't get a good lap in on the wets and had no more time left on the Inters for a run.

See you guys a R4 Russian GP!!

6. mallucm

mallucm

Ratings:
    +12
    Plans have changed, so I will be able to make this race. :)

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300

Meh. That's all I gotta say really.

This track definitely suits me better, but that's probably because it's very simple with lots of run off. Think it'll be close here.

In the back of my mind I knew that it was going to rain, but I still did not prepare. I was not pleased with the wet conditions but I soldiered through and was happy to still get a top 5 out of it.

8. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120
    Questions to drivers:

Australia was where I wanted to be, on the lead lap, in a position to punish the front runners. The rest, well, let's just say I started both races :thumbsup:

Probably, it looks like this type of track in theory would suit me better but I really don't know it, I think I missed this last season ? It was this one the one I used a pad on after blitzing my shoulder? Either way I have a lot to learn for this one and I expect to have to use the racing line.

No effect for me, my pole is p11 so either way I'm happy

+ QuoteReply

9. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120
    managed some practice this evening, struggled to beat my Pad time :mad::mad:... but did in the end on TT.

having to use the Line for defo atm as I don't feel safe yet.

vid here... open to tips and the like

Setup used currently - can't seem to get into the 1:38 area but I guess most of its down to never using a wheel on this track. Race setup i'm going gearing towards the softs at the moment with maybe a trip onto the Med.

Aerodynamics
    Front Wing Angle: 6 (also used 5)
    Rear Wing Angle: 6 (also used 3)

Differential
    On throttle: 90%
    Off throttle: 60%

Suspension Geometry
    Front Camber : -3.10
    Rear Camber: -1.60
    Front Toe: 0.14
    Rear Toe : 0.38

Suspension
    Front Suspension: 11
    Rear Suspension: 1
    Front Anti-Roll Bar: 11
    Rear Anti-Roll Bar: 1
    Front Ride Height: 5
    Rear Ride Height: 5

Brakes

Brake Pressure: 75%
    Front Brake Bias: 57%

Tyre Pressures

Front Tyre Pressure: 21
    Rear Tyre Pressure: 19.5

Weight Distribution
    Ballast: 11

10. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    you should try to use your car more to get the rotation into corner mean, more agressive on the brakes, much faster downshifting and often you were one gear too high in the corner and on this game you get insane understeer if you are in to high gears during the corners. Use the revs, you are shifting way to early aswell!

Also sometimes you are either overshooting a corner or turning in too early, i think if you refine your braking and your gearshifts, the gained speed should allow you to feel more confident and then actually hit the apexes

11. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120

Thanks for the tips, I'm struggling to find a decent brake pedal generally at the moment

When you say too high, I'm presuming you mean a higher number gear?

This track is so unknown to me I can't really say if it's confidence or not. Looking at the TT ghosts I lose at least 1 sec per lap on the final 2 corners, I just can't find a line at all....

12. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    yeah i mean you are otfen in a too high gear number, you are taking many 3rd gear corners in 4th for example

13. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120
    A lot of this stems from me not being comfortable with the rear of the car. I've found a setup that I can get on the power early (and I don't die on kerbs) but is a little unpredictable for under/oversteer.

Also I think the dynamic line is playing tricks on me here, I know 50% of the braking zones so I go past where it says to brake but when I get to areas I'm unsure of I overshoot the zone by 5m or so.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  14. Mitchell Haverlag

Mitchell Haverlag

Ratings:
    +75
    Questions to drivers:
    In general the speed is there but the results are not showing that. I have been compromised by different situations but happy how things are going with the team.

Everytime I race here I hate it first but after a few sessions I can get some reasonable pace.

Havent had any practice in the wet conditions at all. Nevertheless I could still keep up and be faster then I actually showed.

15. mazais5727

mazais5727

Ratings:
    +11
    i want to sorry already now..i got the setup,i got the pace,but....i really dont feel 100% safe at moment,so maybe i will drive with line tomorrow..of course i will continue practice,but at moment its 50-50,racing line or not..i drive 67 laps today,and managed to get 1:36:200-400 almost every last of 20 laps,but...
    at moment i want to feel more stable,so sorry everyone if tomorrow with line :(

• Sad Sad x 1
  16. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    F this track.

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  17. Mitchell Haverlag

Mitchell Haverlag

Ratings:
    +75
    Always keep the racing line OFF! I honestly think it should be banned. People will never learn:whistling:
    no offence

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    I think it's fair for those that are off of the front running pace to use the line. But if you're running in the top 5 regularly with the line, then the above I agree with.

Therefore we'd have to go with the honors system - but yeah you're only hurting yourself in the long run by keeping it on when you have raw pace otherwise

19. jinCHEZ

jinCHEZ

Ratings:
    +133
    Unless we're racing in the night or someone kills all the boards I don't even see the benefit of the raceline so I don't mind, altho I prefer an elitist league without any assists (simply from a status kind of view tho)

• Like Like x 1
  20. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    As someone who used the line as lapte as on F1 2015 i can say having it on makes you race like a robot bc you have the braking references on the plate, while having it off makes you really aware of the track and of the envorentment, but also forces you to be much more concentrated.

In terms of assisting it defo helps with blind apexes like the 2nd to last turn in COTA, and russia has some of these corners.

As for me i Agree with Mitchell and Karl, that the line has to be off, should be equal terms for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1