• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S8: Round 3 - Chinese Grand Prix

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by Mikey Woolford, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    [​IMG]
    Race Department - F1 2016 - Weekday Championship | Season 8
    Round 3: - Tuesday - 04/04/2017 - 20:00 GMT

Drivers' World Championship Leader: Alex G
    Constructors' World Championship Leader: Mercedes*
    FIA Pole Trophy: Mikey Woolford(2)
    DHL Fastest Lap Award: Andrew Wood (1)*

Post-Race Interview - Harry Green

Q -
    So with two races down and with experience building. How do you feel your season is shaping up so far?
    Its been a tough start for sure, I've not been where I wanted to be in either of the opening races. But with that said, I also wasn't coming into these races with high hopes. These are known weak tracks for me and I'm still adjusting to the new car as well as my step up to full no-assists. Hopefully once we reach Europe my season can start to move on.

Q -
    It is fair to say that you didn't enjoy the best time in Bahrain. After showing such promising pace in Qualifying to start 2nd, what do you think is causing the drop in race finishing?
    Qualifying has always been a strong point for me, however at Bahrain it was simply my own mistake starting a chain reaction that led to compromised strategy, more contact and a thoroughly difficult race. As I adjust to my new team and my new challenge I aim to build consistency over the season and iron out these early race mistakes and start to fight for positions more in line with where my quali pace puts me.

Q -
    You've come into this season with a big pedigree from the lower formula and that pedigree means that a lot of eyes are on you. What do you do to cope with the pressure?
    I've never been too affected by pressure really, even in championship deciding scenarios I don't let it get to me. To maintain this I suppose I just keep myself grounded, I don't get ahead of myself. I take each race lap by lap and I'm always prepared for worst case scenarios.

Q -
    After a disappointing result in Bahrain, we remain away from Europe and head to China for the next race. What are your hopes for the race?
    China is an interesting circuit, the long straight and huge slipstream are going to provide a lot of back and forth battles for sure. I've never been hugely strong there and previously struggled with tyre wear, however as my driving style has matured I've come to enjoy the circuit and master the tyre wear issue. It helps that the great stability of the Renault engine and car combo really come into play at this circuit, which I'm really glad about. The car is good so now I need to back that up with results. If I can iron out my early race mistakes, I'm hoping to fight for a podium here and really jumpstart my season.

Q -
    China has a reputation for unpredictable weather conditions. In the event of a wet race, which drivers do you think will have the upper hand, and will you be above them?
    Mikey [Woolford] showed in Australia that he has great wet pace, as did Michael [Fleming]. I qualified up there with those two that day and with a fantastic track record in the wet elsewhere, I think I'll be able gain to take advantage and really show what I can do when the going gets slippery. I really enjoy the wet and Shanghai Int'l is a really fun and rewarding circuit in those tricky conditions. Truth be told, I'll be over the moon if it rains come race day.

If you cannot attend
    If you cannot attend this event, please post in the thread to allow us suitable time to organise replacements. If you do not attend and do not inform us then you will be given an attendance strike. 3 strikes and you are demoted from a full time drive to reserve or requested to not attend further events.

Reserve Drivers
    If you are a reserve driver and you want to take part, please do let us know by answering the questions in this thread and we will try to fit you in.

Questions to drivers:
    Everyone: Under the lights of Bahrain we experienced a gruelling race, how do you think your performance went?

Everyone: We head to China which has experienced turbulent weather in the past. With a strong possibility of wet weather, how will you approach the weekend?

Everyone: One of the main focuses on this track is the long sweeping right hander onto the backstraight. A good exit here is vital to a passing move. Do you have any other overtaking places in mind?

Alex: After 2 really strong showings so far. Do you feel you can carry that momentum into this race?

Jerry: After a somewhat disappointing race filled with incidents in Bahrain, how do you expect to get back on track here in China?

* Pending Standings Update.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Everyone: Under the lights of Bahrain we experienced a gruelling race, how do you think your performance went?

My race went a lot better than I had previously predicted. I was able to come back from a poor first lap and get the most I could out of the car. My late race pace was rather good and I didn't let the pressure of being around all fast(er) drivers get to me to get a well deserved top 5 finish.

Everyone: We head to China which has experienced turbulent weather in the past. With a strong possibility of wet weather, how will you approach the weekend?

Take it as it comes really. It's difficult for me to practice wet weather driving without actually being thrust in to the situation in the moment. I'm not particularly great in the wet so the focus when I'm driving in those conditions is not worry so much about my pace and just keep all 4 wheels pointed forwards.

Everyone: One of the main focuses on this track is the long sweeping right hander onto the backstraight. A good exit here is vital to a passing move. Do you have any other overtaking places in mind?

I'm not divulging any further info on this topic. You will just have to see for yourself :)

3. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120
    Questions to drivers:

I think the game fobbed me off a bit, I'm almost certain the setup that the car started the race with wasn't mine. I wasn't quick enough anyway to challenge but it would of been nice to try.

Same as always, practice and hope for the best.

Going off the last 2 races no corner seems to be off limits ......

Dive bomb...!

• Haha Haha x 2
  4. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    Not too happy tbh, in the first two races i was able to get success due to my race intelligence and luck and not particular through my outright pace. Hopefully this changes over the courfe of the season

Business as usual

Strategy will be the real overtaking here

Alex: After 2 really strong showings so far. Do you feel you can carry that momentum into this race?
    I do nit Believe in Momentum, every race is it's own entity with all the unpredicabiliy that can happen in the sport, so a race to race approach is my personal key on how maintaining good results.

5. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    Got a good qually run, bad first T1 with an incident which causes me a right front yellow wing i had to change and therefor lost several places, wrong strategy call when SC came out for whatever reason it came out, don't know what the end result had have been if there where no SC since i already was on my last stint and guys in front needed to pit again, some guys had some luck in the first and second GP round with the SC cumming out with a few laps to go and therefor get a free pitstop. Never the less i had to made the call to stay on the softs, only 15% wear and the super softs had the same since i already did some laps with them at qually. seconds incident at lap 28/29 which costing me a good finish. Still feeling strong pace wise but i am involved in some incidents which in R1 ended up in a DNF and R2 ending in a top 10 result rather then top 5...

will practice a wet setup and dry setup, but we will see what happens in R3 China GP.

the straight until Turn 6 is also a good point to overtake because your exits here also needs to be a strong one.

Jerry: After a somewhat disappointing race filled with incidents in Bahrain, how do you expect to get back on track here in China?
    The long seeping right hander here i find one of the hardest corners in the game, but again like i did in the last races i will practice and make sure i have the right setup and hopefully finish top 5. I feel i still have the form i had at Brasil last season, so pace wise it shouldn't be a problem to end up in the good half of the points, but i need to stay out of incidents and make the right decisions strategy wise. I think i can race with guys like @Andrew Wood , @GuytheGuy17 and @mazais5727.

See you guys a R3 China GP

Edit: I know why the SC came out, you can see on the streams the minute @Jason Warburton left the session we got a SC.:cry:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  6. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Bloody dreadfully, P2 to P7 is not a success

The same as any other, I might do some additional wet weather running but it usually onl takes a couple of laps to get my eye in in the wet, and I'm strong in those conditiions anyway, so its no big deal

T1 is always fun to have a crack at, as is the final corner. However all my plans are a secret thank you very much, we'll just wait and see what happens ;)

7. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    I will not be attending China, but my evening shift is being moved to a different day of the week so I should be able to attend most if not all races from Monaco onwards :D:D
    As usual I will use my break on Tuesday to watch whoever is streaming:)

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Depending on how long it takes for me to adjust to my new T3PA pedals, i might have to run the scrub line this week D:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    I really dont like turn 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mazais5727

mazais5727

Ratings:
    +11
    turn 1-nervetester :D

11. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
  12. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Do I get a cool tag as well? Or no bc I'm American and have a pic of Trump up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    There's a FireWALL.

• Haha Haha x 1
  15. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    I'll be online from around 6:30/6:45 tomorrow if anyone wants to practice

• Like Like x 1
  16. mazais5727

mazais5727

Ratings:
    +11
    i be home after work about 19:00.im in

17. Mitchell Haverlag

Mitchell Haverlag

Ratings:
    +75
    I changed to the same pedals since USA last season. It takes a little bit of time but in the end it gives you so much more feeling.

18. Imran Kahn

Imran Kahn

Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry, something came up and I can't race today. A shame for me because I really enjoy this track. Good luck all and I'll see you all next week.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Thanks a lot for letting us know, Orgie!!!

20. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    So other than Organyx, a full grid.