• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S8: Round 2 - Bahrain Grand Prix

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by Mikey Woolford, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    [​IMG]
    Race Department - F1 2016 - Weekday Championship | Season 8
    Round 2: - Tuesday - 28/03/2017 - 20:00 GMT

Drivers' World Championship Leader: Alex G
    Constructors' World Championship Leader: Mercedes
    FIA Pole Trophy: Mikey Woolford(1)
    DHL Fastest Lap Award: Andrew Wood (1)​

Post-Race Interview - Alex G

MW - First of all, congratulations on your victory at tonights Australian Grand Prix. How does being back on the top step of the podium so early in the new season feel?
    It's a great feeling to pick up right where i left off last season. It was a very tricky race with the wet qualifying allowing different tyre strategies and the safety car at the end, so i am extremely pleased that all these factors worked in my favour today.

MW -
    You took a gamble today by starting on the Medium tyres and ran the risk of an early race incident while others around you had softer compounds. What was the thought process behind this decision?
    I thought to be stuck behind drivers that might be slower then me on pace, so to negate this disadvantage i chose to start on the "slowest" compound to minimize my time loss and then to utilise the Soft or Supersoft at the end of the race. Early Incidents are always a risk, but i've done alternative strategies many times during my career so i know very well how to move myself within the midfield, therefore i took the gamble and it paid off.

MW -
    You had been consistently touted as the championship favourite in pre-season and this victory does nothing to dispel those predictions. What sort of season are you expecting to face?
    My personal expectation is always to make the best out of the situation. Sometimes this can be the win like today, and sometimes it can be only one championchip point. I just want to do the best job i can possibly do and the see where it gets me. Competition is tight at the front so nothing is granted.

MW -
    You joined Mercedes this season, departing Red Bull after the Brazilian GP and have found immediate success. How different are the two cars and how hard has it been to adapt to the different hardware?
    It's been quite a stretch adapting to the Mercedes, despite winning the pre-season event with it in Spain the engineers still didn't find the right setup for me, as i am struggling with the rear grip. The Red Bull was a fantastic car when it came to the race, with it's amazing traction, but i felt the change is needed and i hope that with the season going on me and the team get more and more accustomed to each other and get even more wins and podiums under our belt

MW -
    Shellay and Mazais ran you very close today. Are you expecting more battles with them throughout the coming season?
    Absolutley ! Especially Mazais really surprised me with his strong pace and his development will be very interesting to see throughout the season. As with Shellay we know that his pace is really strong, but he lacks the experience other Drivers have and if he can build his confidence on the recent sucess i expect him to be my major challenger for the title alongside Mikey and Mitchell

MW -
    Your teammate Karl had a difficult race today, but also showed the kind of pace that should be expected of a WCC hunting partnership. Who would you say are the top teams to look out for this season?
    I've raced Karl many times before and i know the pace he can deploy. Therefore i am very confident that we can bring the WCC to Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team.

MW -
    Finally, we now head to Bahrain where it is expected to be a fully dry weekend. After a difficult wet qualifying session but a tremendous drive in the dry race. What are your expectations for this race?
    I am well aware that the wet is my biggest weakness, so i am very happy to arrive on a circuit where we can expect a fully dry weekend. Bahrain is a race that offers a lot of good overtaking spots and different strategy options, so my aim is to qualify within the first two rows and then to use my race pace in good effect like in Australia

If you cannot attend
    If you cannot attend this event, please post in the thread to allow us suitable time to organise replacements. If you do not attend and do not inform us then you will be given an attendance strike. 3 strikes and you are demoted from a full time drive to reserve or requested to not attend further events.

Reserve Drivers
    If you are a reserve driver and you want to take part, please do let us know by answering the questions in this thread and we will try to fit you in.

Questions to drivers:
    Everyone: After the variable, wet conditions at Australia we head to an expectantly dry Bahrain. What are your expectations for the race?

Everyone: Australia gave everyone a chance to dust off the track rust and get back into the groove. As it was, there were a few incidents during the race. Would you expect a cleaner race this time round?

Everyone: Alex G takes an early lead in the WDC, do you expect him to build that advantage or for others to come back at him?

Jason: After a terrific effort at Australia, where you scored an 8th place finish. Do you expect to challenge for points every race?

Harry: As the AOR F4 Champion, Australia was somewhat of a disappointment for you. How do you plan to bounce back in Bahrain?

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Ashley Blakeley

Ashley Blakeley

Ratings:
    +212
    I can make a race again! :D I'll do the questions laters

• Love Love x 1
  3. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    We are missing a Williams driver next week, so the seat is yours.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jason Warburton

Jason Warburton

Ratings:
    +120
    Questions to drivers:
    Everyone: After the variable, wet conditions at Australia we head to an expectantly dry Bahrain. What are your expectations for the race?

I am alarmingly slow here, I'll need a decent pep talk from @Jerry Moorrees about race strategy to be competitive.

Everyone: Australia gave everyone a chance to dust off the track rust and get back into the groove. As it was, there were a few incidents during the race. Would you expect a cleaner race this time round?

nothing wrong with a bit of mess!

Everyone: Alex G takes an early lead in the WDC, do you expect him to build that advantage or for others to come back at him?

I expect it wont be a one off but I do feel he will come under massive pressure as races go on.

Jason: After a terrific effort at Australia, where you scored an 8th place finish. Do you expect to challenge for points every race?

My aim is to finish 10th in every race, if I cant finish 10th I just want to finish without being lapped. some tracks will give me opportunity to steal places due to incidents or weather, I just need to be keen enough to take them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    Not as good as Australia. The rain in qualy really helped me out there and I won't have that benefit this time around.

To be fair, Albert Park is a semi-street circuit and fairly narrow in places (especially if you go 4-wide:p). I think it will improve throughout the season.

I think whoever stays out of trouble in the first 5 races will have a good chance of leading the championship. I agree with what Andrew has said; Alex is immense, but is still human. There is opportunity for those fast enough.

6. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300

I'm hoping for a nice rebound after some bad luck at Australia. I've been making huge strides in raw pace since Austin of last season with flashes of brilliance up front so I need to find a way to harness all of that in to a solid and well-deserved finish.

I can only hope so, as it appears lately I am the one to always be collected in incidents on track. This league, although very competitive, is full of mature and seasoned drivers who know the rules and can fight hard without compromising their own or others races.

I think this is going to be a bit of a "yo-yo" season personally with many drivers mixing it up at the top of the WDC -- coupled with people who have to miss the odd race and others showing their muscle up front and putting forth the challenge. Once Mikey stops having his share of bad luck you can guarantee he'll be leading the points at one time or another.

I'll be there, obviously, next Tuesday!

7. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    I really dislike this track so I'll be aiming for top 5 at best, thankfully with the AOR season coming to a close I'll be able to put a bit more time into practicing for this league going forward.

I think so, Australia is a fairly narrow circuit with a lot of switchbacks that can cause incidents. I've found Bahrain to be more docile in the past but we'll see. While there are fewer incidents, incidents at Bahrain always tend to be big ones ;)

I expect him to keep a solid stream of points going, i think that Australia showed that while he has good pace he may not be invincible, so as the season progresses and different drivers hit their strong points of the season the championship battle could get complicated

Harry: As the AOR F4 Champion, Australia was somewhat of a disappointment for you. How do you plan to bounce back in Bahrain?
    F4?! The cheek! GP2 I think you'll find ;). But yes, lackluster pace, lacking concentration and really daft mistakes meant I bled a lot of points from the race in Australia. Bahrain is another weak track for me, however, so it could be another week or two before I really get up to speed and start challenging for pole, podiums and wins. Of course, I'm always aiming to do the best I can but for the first few races I'm keeping expectations a little lower.

8. GuytheGuy17

GuytheGuy17

Ratings:
    +10
    I think it will be a true indication of people's pace as there should be no rain and the qualifying will be interesting as I don't think the result in Australia was a representation of who is where pace wise.

I am pretty sure that it will be a cleaner race as the overtaking opportunities are more straight forward such as down the pit straight and on other straights using slipstream and DRS. Australia is a thin track with closer walls and it is more likely to cause incidents.
    I think that he will continue scoring points but wont win every races and I think my team-mate Mikey, Shellay and Mazais showed that they could challenge him for the race win and I think if they get the opportunity Mitchell and Harry could also challenge so it is all to play for.

9. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    Hope you all liked the post race interview. It was good fun to do and there will be more

• Like Like x 3
  10. alex1994128

alex1994128

Ratings:
    +82
    I feel good in Bahrain and with it being a guaranteed dry race anything else then a podium would be a disappointment

No, i think it will be even more hectic because Bahrain is a great track bot battleing and side-by-side racing so i ex├╝ect maybe even more incident s along the way, especially with some drivers being very eager to redeem themselves from a poor Australia showing

I expect it to romp away with it and close the title race off in Spain lol :p

• Haha Haha x 1
  11. Harkko Helvelahti

Harkko Helvelahti
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry but i can't participate.
    In fact my next race will be Canada or Azerbaijan (Still recovering from the surgery). I have a four little titanium nails on my wrist and those keep one of my bones still. Today I went to the hospital and they made me a splint and because of that I can't even reach to shift up. If something changes I will let you know and Organyx may the Force be with you! ;)

• Sad Sad x 2
  12. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    As was the case with Martijn last year, personal circumstances always come before the league. The injury sounds awesome though!

Hope your recovery goes well. Please stay around and take part in discussions and keep up with whats happening!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Honestly this media narrative is a madness :p

14. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford

Ratings:
    +979
    What!? when martijn had to leave last year because he was moving I gave him words of encouragement and invited him back! lol

Politeness is key

• Love Love x 1
  15. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Nah I mean as in driver changes and drivers leaving for injury etc. you fool :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jerry Moorrees

Jerry Moorrees

Ratings:
    +66
    I think here we going to see what's everybody pace will be. Really hope i am in no incident in the first couple laps, since the first tracks are my favorites pace wise. Aiming for a podium, but some point in the top 10 i'm also fine with. Looking at the TT all top drivers are around 1:30.5 and i am in that same range 1:30.4xx, so again looking forward to it. As much is a liked to comment the Australian GP i hope i don't have to do that and finish every race form here on.

I hope there will be a clean race, but looking at me and @GuytheGuy17 who are DNF, we are really looking for some points we missed out at Australia. Also some other drivers like @Andrew Wood and @HRacingGreen are eager to get some points they missed out in Australia. Should be interesting. Also we don't need to forget Karl who completely missed out in Australia because of maybe setup and incidents, he is in my eyes also a favorite to win the championship.

I think the SC helped him out and this time the dice rolled his side and he got the win, brilliant drive don't get me wrong but Shellay was the virtual leader at that point with 10 seconds in front and 9 laps to go. I think @alex1994128 also needs to work harder as the season continues since the league is filled with more talent like last season. He is the favorite to win the season but look at Hamilton last season did he win the championship? no pressure @alex1994128 :roflmao:

BTW i really like the party chat, your jokes mickey brilliant:thumbsup:, also gives me the opportunity to learn you guys a bit better which i like;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Your commentating was awesome - good to hear bout what's going on at the front of the field while I am in the back playing catch-up. And of course your comments are very well received - happy that you decided to rejoin us for another season over other leagues! :)

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Any chance you would like to commentate ..............? ;)

19. Mitchell Haverlag

Mitchell Haverlag

Ratings:
    +75
    Bahrain is a track where I need to play my cards right because I will not be the quickest.

Yes, I hope everyone is fully aware about what to expect so we can have a cleaner race.

I fully expect others to be right up there and fight for the win.

20. Harkko Helvelahti

Harkko Helvelahti
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    I really like to but i don't promise any world class performance:roflmao:

• Love Love x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1