• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

S5 | Rounds 27 & 28 | Sonoma

Discussion in 'PS4 | Thursday Night GT Championship' started by LIAMATTHURSO, Jul 11, 2017.

1. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +360
    Race Details

• Race Times: 5pm & 6pm
    • Laps: 28 & 14
    • Last Time Here Winner: Ben
    • Weather: Dry
    • Hotspots: Turns 3a & 7

The Track

[​IMG]

Sonoma Raceway, formerly Sears Point Raceway and Infineon Raceway is a 2.52-mile (4.06 km) road course and drag strip located on the landform known as Sears Point in the southern Sonoma Mountains in Sonoma, California, USA. The road course features 12 turns on a hilly course with 160 feet (49 m) of total elevation change. it is host to one of only two Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races each year that are run on road courses (the other being Watkins Glen). With the closure of Riverside International Raceway in Riverside, California after the 1988 season, NASCAR, wanting a west coast road course event to replace it, chose the Sears Point facility. In 2002, Sears Point Raceway was renamed after a corporate sponsor, Infineon. However, as with many renamings of sports complexes, many people still call it by its original name. On March 7, 2012, it was announced that Infineon would not renew their contract for naming rights when the deal expired in May, and the track management is looking for a new company to take over naming rights. Until it can find a new corporate sponsor, the course is simply identifying itself as "Sonoma". The standard, full length road course at Sonoma Raceway is a 2.52 miles (4.06 km) 12-turn course. This course was utilized by all competition through 1997. Most races, including the Grand Prix of Sonoma, use the full course. The course is noted for turns two and three, which are negative-camber ("off-camber") turns, with the inside of the turn higher than the outside. This provides a challenge for the driver, as turn two would normally have the drivers moving to the left side of the track. The raceway also has a 440-yard (402.3 m) dragstrip used for NHRA drag racing events. The drag strip was originally located on part of the front straightaway of the course. Track changes completed in 2002 separated the road course from the drag strip. The track was modified in 1998, adding the Chute, which bypassed turns 5 and 6 (the Carousel), shortening the course to 1.95 miles (3.14 km). The Chute is only used for NASCAR events such as the Toyota/Save Mart 350, and was criticized by many drivers, who prefer the full layout. In 2001, it was replaced with the 70° turn, 4A bringing the track to its current dimensions of 1.99 miles (3.20 km). From 1989 to 2001, the pit road could only accommodate 34 pit stalls. So, during the Toyota/Save Mart 350 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race, some teams were required to share pit stalls while other teams were forced to pit inside the garage area. When cars dropped out of the race, their pit stalls were reassigned to cars who were sharing. After a few years, a makeshift auxiliary pit road was constructed inside the hairpin (turn 11) nicknamed Gilligan's Island. Cars that had the nine slowest qualifying speeds were relegated to these pit stalls. Pitting in this area was considered an inconvenience and a competitive disadvantage, more so than even the disadvantages one would experience pitting on the backstretch at a short track at the time. Since the length of the auxiliary pit road was significantly shorter than the main pit road, the cars that pitted there were held from 15–20 seconds to make up for the time that would have been spent if the cars had traveled the entire main pit road. Variations of Sonoma's circuits are often used. Motorcycles use a 2.22 miles (3.57 km), 12-turn course. It is based on the full layout, and does not include the Chute. This layout, opened in 2003, skips the later section of the Esses (8A and 9) and the run from Turn 10 to Turn 11 (the hairpin), using instead Turn 11a as Turn 11 has no runoff. This hairpin is located just past the drag strip control tower and offers a fairly straight run to the start-finish line. (Shown below). The qualifying & race lap record are dominated by the Audi R8. Allan McNish holds the qualifying lap record, and Marco Werner the race lap record.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Audi R8's that hold the lap record around the Infineon Raceway (As you can see they are also ironically sponsored by Infineon)

Last Time Out

Silverstone provided 2 very tricky races, with torrential rain and thick fog pushing the drivers to the limits, with one mistake being costly as Adam and Benji found out early in the feature. Gaz took pole with Oz taking P2, then Benji and Liam completing row 2. the front row stayed the same but Liam attacked Benji, which ultimately left him vulnerable to Adam, who took advantage to take P4. The first lap was an experiment for the drivers but that didn't stop some trying to make gains, including Liam who took P4 back off Adam into Stowe. Lap 2 saw some drama, with Adam spinning into Brooklands, going down to 2nd last, then Benji lost it on the exit or Luffield, spinning into a tyre barrier, but luckily escaped with very minor damge, dropping a couple of places. Oz soon made a mistake onto the Wellington straight, allowing Liam to close up and apply pressure. Benji was in a battle with Ben & Matt but he soon pulled away. some pitted early, but soon it became clear that the rain was not going to stop, with the last few pitting, Oz made a mistake into the pit entry, which proved costly as Liam performed the overcut to gain a 5s lead. in the last 3 laps the rain became thunderstorms, with some struggling to keep temperature, but it ended with Gaz winning, Liam taking P2 to complete a SFR 1-2. Oz took P3 as his post race penalty made no difference but will have a qualifying ban for Sonoma. With Benji recovering to P4. The sprint saw another 2 car shootout, with Adam taking pole from Frank. Adam initially lead the race, but only a few corners in he had Gaz, Oz and Liam in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. It may have gotten to him as he Spun on lap 2 into Stowe, ultimately DNF'ing the race. Again it finished Gaz P1, Oz managed to keep P2 this time, Liam P3 & Benji P4 again.

Questions

Sonoma hasn't been used since season 1, but this is the first time on the GP track, do you like Sonoma?

There will be no more random weather races this season, what was your favourite wet race and did you ultimately like them?

There are 2 TBA (To be announced) GT3 Cars in the pCars 2 car list, what do you hope they are?

Is Bottas pushing himself into the championship fight?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. ozwheels

ozwheels

Ratings:
    +52
    Sonoma hasn't been used since season 1, but this is the first time on the GP track, do you like Sonoma?
    I've never raced here before. It seems fun so far, especially the esses.

There will be no more random weather races this season, what was your favourite wet race and did you ultimately like them?
    I thought Bathurst was a random race? I don't mind the wet at all, but I think random weather is the single dumbest thing in pCars 1 and pCars 2.
    Spa was fun with the track drying out.
    There are 2 TBA (To be announced) GT3 Cars in the pCars 2 car list, what do you hope they are?
    They're the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 and Renault R.S. 01 GT3.

Is Bottas pushing himself into the championship fight? No

3. Frank Finch

Frank Finch
    TNGTC | Finch Sim Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +166
    With its big elevation differences, tight corners and high speed esses, this track is a real roller coaster. It is a track where you could easily lose control over the car, which is an extra challenge when you're battling for position. I like all those aspects, but when I compare my hot lap with Benji's and see that I am 4 seconds off the pace, I am not expecting very much of these rounds.

Isn't Bathurst a random weather race? That (being Bathurst, an endurance AND a random weather race) will be the ultimate challenge... or pure hell, depending on how you look at it.
    But, with a near pole position and after my first ever leading laps, the Zhuhai Sprint Race was my favourite wet race so far. As for the other random weather races, I was looking forward to them but I didn't perform as expected during the races.

What Oz said. Although I'd rather see the Corvette C7R GT3 instead of the R.S. 01.

He is closing in, but just because Vettel and Hamilton are not scoring points like they should be doing. Bottas is not fast or skilled enough (yet) to beat them in equal situations. I'd rather see Verstappen or Alonso in that car to see what they can do with it.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
    I will be driving the #34 Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 for the remainder of the season. I was struggling too much in the RUF, so I decided to switch back to my favourite car of Season 4. I know this is not the fastest car, especially on tracks like Sonoma and Oschersleben, but right now I just feel most comfortable in the SLS.

I have notified @Adam Morris and am still awaiting my penalty, which I will accept no matter what it is.

MPHOL1_U4NKAAA0WE_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +360
    IMG_20170711_181341.jpg IMG_20170711_181417.jpg IMG_20170711_181610.jpg IMG_20170711_181615.jpg IMG_20170711_181649.jpg IMG_20170711_181711.jpg IMG_20170711_181456.jpg

I decided to take more photos from Spa and Imola, so i hope you all enjoy these!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,948
    A1: it's different so that's good and enjoying the challenge so far. Plenty of corners and no straights will make overtaking hard work

A2: hate wet races so I'm happy. I liked spa this season as I nailed my timing on to slicks. Zuhai last season was good with my inters gamble but normally I'm rubbish in wet conditions

A3: I'm sure the Lamborghini Gt3 is 1 overall excited by new cars and a actual Porsche (hopefully without glitches)

A4: zzzzzzzzzzzbringbackv10'szzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. Ben McCluskey

Ben McCluskey

Ratings:
    +188

It suits my style, but the evaluation changes are arguing with my car's ability.

All of them, love driving in the wet. The best one is a hard one. I certainly enjoyed sliding the car through every turn at Hockenheim with Fraser inches behind in season 4.

Zafira GT3
    Lambo

It's Bottas in a Mercedes? There's me thinking it was Liam since he's usually the number 2 driver.

• Haha Haha x 1
  7. Ben McCluskey

Ben McCluskey

Ratings:
    +188
    On a side notes, me and the fellow snakes had a blast of a time on a new free download game called "That's You". Definitely worth a download and watch of my livestream.

*contains a lot of :poop:*

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. Adam Morris

Adam Morris
    (TNGTC) #64 M3 GT3 - Bangers And Smash GT

Ratings:
    +614
    @Frank Finch Sorry for the delay your penalty will just be a Qualifying ban until the end of the season Thanks.

• Sad Sad x 1
    • Angry Angry x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frank Finch

Frank Finch

Ratings:
    +166
    Noted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +360

Yeah i do, it was my 2nd favourite track on Gran Turismo 4 (Only behind El Capitan for anyone who remembers it) back when it was called Infineon Raceway, i'm very, very underprepared, i've only done 1 session which i spent half of rollimg my car upside down off the big hills

The favourite had to be Imola S2, that's a given but other than Imola & Spa i havent won any wet races, but i feel the wet brings me more into play than a dry race would, so yes i loved them

I guess Oz is right, that'll be cool. I'd love to see the Jaguar XKS GT3 car one day

Without his spin in China and his engine failure in spain, he would probably have been ahead of Lewis

11. Gareth Williams

Gareth Williams

Ratings:
    +195

Yeah it's an alright track, this layout is definitely more tricker than other layout previously used

Is a shame is no more random or wet races this season as I like racing in the wet, guess adam trying to rig it so he can win another event

Obvious ain't it? They putting in the number 40 m3 and number 41 m3

Na bottas just had good few races, Hamilton will be ahead of him by end

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frank Finch

Frank Finch

Ratings:
    +166
    Race report

Feature:
    Q: DNQ
    R: 9th
    Scavenged a point

Sprint:
    Q: DNQ
    R: 7th (6th if Andrew doesn't count)
    Scavenged some more points for Sloth... I mean, Coyote Motorsports.

• Haha Haha x 1
  13. Jamief430

Jamief430

Ratings:
    +45
    Race results: well what a load of crap!!! (To be put nicely).

Yet again pcars 1 does not work. All week setup with full fuel get to race and we'll everything doesn't work. The game is crap. Seriously couldn't give 2 anymore it's full of bugs!!!!

• Sad Sad x 1
  14. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,948

Sorry about feature contact frank I didn't see Jaime spinning in front of you

15. Frank Finch

Frank Finch

Ratings:
    +166
    No worries mate.

16. Jamief430

Jamief430

Ratings:
    +45
    Corner cuts/extends.

17. Andrew Holmes

Andrew Holmes

Ratings:
    +805
    Think this video shows that I ain't a pushover. If you want to get by, you're gonna have to get creative boys! Oschersleben next!

• Love Love x 1
  18. ozwheels

ozwheels

Ratings:
    +52
    I'll just leave this here.

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Wow Wow x 2
  19. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,948
    Race Report

First of all my trusty t300 broke literally straight after Silverstone last week luckily I managed to buy my friends G29 which is basically new but it is a different feel so still need to adjust to it.

Feature
    Q: 9th
    R: 5th

Fair start just tried to avoid damage but halfway around the lap I adjusted my brake balance and wasn't concentrating so fell off the road lol. Caught frank but accidentally rammed him as he brakes for a spinning car which gave me huge aero damage and as a result my pace was shocking in the first stint. Still passed Jaime and Andrew after mistakes from both. Kept Oz in sight and planned an early stop as my tyres were not bad. Pitted lap 12 and as I left myself and benji found ourselves side by side I just had to try and stay ahead I tried everything but I guess his tyres were warmer and had more grip at that stage. In fact it was a few laps until mine got going I attacked benji but it was ultimately a mistake that let me passed and as soon as I was my pace was back started chasing down Matt and we in turn were taking big lumps of time out of Liam and oz. caught them on the penultimate lap as oz nailed the pit entry tyres but no way passed p5

Sprint

Q: 8th
    R: 5th

Again great pace but mistakes cost me spun early on so was way off the pack but luckily the new guy @Andrew Holmes was holding the pack up. I set fastest lap as I closed in about 3-4 times caught Matt he spun then got onto the back of Adam I flashed to say let me at these guys lol but as I thought he was letting me passed I realised he wasn't slight contact but nothing serious. He then crashed out in the same manner as oz in the feature. Last lap I tried everything to pass Gaz and so nearly pulled it of into the last corner but a shoddy exit cost me drive to the line fun race and good pace enjoyed the races tonight

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,948
    • Wow Wow x 1