1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

S5 | Rounds 18 & 19 | Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'PS4 | Thursday Night GT Championship' started by LIAMATTHURSO, May 29, 2017.

Did Jamie jump the Sprint race start?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2017.
  1. No

75.0%
  2. Yes

25.0%
  1. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +348
    Race Details

• Race Times: 5pm & 6pm
    • Laps: 24 & 12
    • Last Time Here Winners: Adam & Liam
    • Weather: Dry

The Track

[​IMG]

Watkins Glen International A.K.A "The Glen" is a race track located in Watkins Glen, New York.
    It was long known around the world as the home of the Formula One United States Grand Prix, which it hosted for twenty consecutive years (1961–1980), but the site has been home to road racing of nearly every class, including the World Sportscar Championship, Trans-Am, Can-Am, Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, the International Motor Sports Association and the IndyCar Series. Initially, public roads in the village were used for the race course. In 1956 a permanent circuit for the race was built. The circuit's current layout has more or less been the same since 1971, although a chicane was installed at the uphill Esses in 1975 to slow cars through these corners, where there was a fatality during practice at the 1973 United States Grand Prix. The chicane was removed in 1985.
    After a succession of serious crashes took place at the "Loop" at the end of the backstretch, a major change was made to the track's layout. During the 1989 Bud at the Glen, Geoff Bodine blew a tire at the end of the backstretch. He broke into a hard spin, and sailed straight off the track, crashing head-on into the barrier. In 1991, during the IMSA Camel Continental VIII, Tommy Kendall's Intrepid RM-1 prototype crashed in the Loop, severely injuring his legs. Seven weeks later, NASCAR Winston Cup driver J. D. McDuffie died in an accident at the same site during the 1991 Bud at the Glen. Since 1992, track
    officials constructed a bus stop chicane along the back straight just before arriving at the Loop. Dubbed the "Inner Loop", it led into what was now being called, the "Outer Loop." This addition slightly increased the lap distance for both layouts.
    The track is 3.40 mi (5.43 km) in length, with 11 turns. the lap record is 1:22.5259 by Scott Dixon is in a 2012 Chip Ganassi Racing indycar.

Hotlap

This time we're going way back, with a season 1 hotlap from Ben!

Last Time Out

The feature started brightly, Oz jumped Liam into P1, with Gaz compounding it, proceeding to take P2, with Ben, Jeremy, Adam and Benji all close behind. Lap 2 and Jeremy made an error, giving Adam damage, Meanwhile Ben was applying pressure to Liam, until the pitstops, Liam pitting first of the front runners. After the stops the top 3 stayed the same, but Benji and Ben were now going at it, both seeming to have issues, as their pace severely dropped. Benji managed to hold on though, Meaning Oz took P1, Gaz P2, Liam P3, Benji P4 & Ben P5. The sprint had a low attendance, with only 8 cars taking part, but it turned out to be one of the best sprint races. Adam took pole, but Jeremy made the jump into an early lead, with everyone else behind constantly swapping positions, Oz gave Ben a nudge into the chicane, sending ben across it, then Oz rejoining and hitting both Liam and Benji's cars. Adam tried a divebomb on Jeremy, which backfired, as he sent himself into a spin, losing out to Gaz. The running order at this time being Gaz, Jeremy, Ben, Adam & Liam. Liam soon passed Adam round the outside of Tosa, meanwhile Ben proceeded to pass Jeremy, quickly being followed through by Liam, Oz recovering from his earlier moment, had charged through and passed Benji and Adam, to be in P5, He was next up on Jeremy, and duly took P4. The last lap came around, and Liam tried a daring move on Ben round the outside of T1, But it ultimately failed, with the race ending Gaz P1, Ben P2, Liam P3, Oz P4 and Adam P5.

Questions

Imola always provides great races, how much did you enjoy it?

Watkins Glen, any memories of this track, and how do you find it?

In Monaco Vettel won, with some suspecting foul play by Ferrari, some saying Seb was just faster on his in-laps, what camp are you in?

Did you watch the Indy 500, if so, did you enjoy it, and opinion on Alonso?

• Like Like x 1
    • Angry Angry x 1
  2. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +348

The feature was a bit mehh, bar a small battle with Ben it was a bit of a precession for me, the sprint was awesome fun though.

Not many memories, i won here last seasons sprint after a glitch ruined my P3 in the feature, it's alright to drive i suppose.

In Monaco Vettel won, with some suspecting foul play by Ferrari, some saying Seb was just faster on his in-laps, what camp are you in?

I personally see no issue, lead car pits first, and Seb was doing low-mid 15s on his inlaps, Seb was just faster, and made the most of his 2 laps.

Yes, it was pretty fun to watch the racing, just it was too stop start, between adverts, race stop for crashes, or them just cutting to Suzi Perry for no reason, as for Alonso, he did incredible, a brand new discipline and being in for the win all race, hopefully he goes again and can win it.

• Angry Angry x 1
  3. Ben McCluskey

Ben McCluskey

Ratings:
    +171

Imola is one of my favourite tracks, so I enjoyed it. Didn't get the results I was looking for due to damage and technical issues.

Going backwards looking at 4 other cars was a interesting moment. It's not a track I'm overly fond of but I don't hate it.

Stroll should've won. All that f1 2016 practice would've came in handle.

Did you watch the Indy 500, if so, did you enjoy it, and opinion on Alonso

Never mind Alonso. The seeks of F1 won.

• Angry Angry x 1
  4. Jonathan Seekings

Jonathan Seekings

Ratings:
    +1,151
    Racist!!! ;)

• Haha Haha x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  5. Adam Morris

Adam Morris
    (TNGTC) #64 M3 GT3 - Bangers And Smash GT

Ratings:
    +570

2.5/10 I had contact in both races so wasn't much fun for me this week and I hate Imola.

Love Watkins Glenn, I always go well here and have won here twice really hope I can take the challenge for the win this time around.

Foul Play 100% Kimi was told to box early by the team to cover drivers he wasn't even racing against only reason he asked on the radio was to confirm that, Vettel was only faster when by himself upfront not once did he get within 5 tenths of kimi. Was clear as day they pitted kimi early to put vettel in the lead so he could win way to de-motivate your driver Ferrari could tell after the race Ferrari screwed him never seen kimi so pissed off in a long time and it will continue to happen. was the same when schumi was there.

Alonso did a awesome job have a great chance at the win but what can I say Honda cant make engines anymore so relying on a Honda engine to finish a race weather it be f1 or Indy you may as well drive a focus instead.

6. Frank Finch

Frank Finch
    TNGTC | Finch Sim Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +155
    No, I hate Imola. I think I made that clear with my last post in the Imola thread ;) I just can't get the hang of that track, no matter what car I'm in.

The Glen was my first TNGTC race, I believe. It does remind me of Imola, it's just clockwise, so I'm not really a fan. I'm not expecting to set a lap time anywhere near the top drivers.

Maybe it was plain tactics or typical Monaco-style luck. Same as with Ricciardo. You never know on the narrow streets of Monte Carlo. I do think it's good for the championship. So far, this has been the most exciting one in years if it comes to who's on top.

I watched the latter half of it. Personally, I think racing on ovals is boring as hell. It's like watching a cycling race or long distance ice skating. The only things spectacular are the crashes.
    I'm not a particular Alonso fan, but for a rookie he did amazing. It's so sad that once again, a Honda engine failed him. He totally didn't deserve that. If he's smart, he'll leave McLaren-Honda by the end of this season.

My thoughts on ovals:

7. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,903
    Questions

Well considering the practice I had I'm quite proud of my efforts. It's always a track I go well at but with basically 2 hours practice I was surprised to be competitive. Was ill before Sakitto and it got worse shortly after that race was bed ridden until Tuesday so 5th and 2nd I was very happy with

Another track I go well at normally but the M3 is a beast here nice track unforgiving at times. Memories well no wins but a few nearly wins. Season 2 was good fighting the mighty bentleys in the unfancied RUF. Season 3 coming from the back to catch the back of Adam and Liam. Hopefully things can go my way here

You don't take the lead car out of the lead and put slower tyres on! It was common knowledge that the ultra soft could do the whole race if needed so it was clear what the plan was. Kimi was unhappy but I'm sure he's over it now. I'm proud of my favourite driver he showed guts and speed as well as humility after the race. if the old Kimi is back the rest of the grid should watch out

Watched it and I always watch the Indy 500 it's a great race a little to American but watchable. He did good for a no2 driver and raised the profile of F1 (Ed Jones star of the race btw)

8. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,903
    This season has been a complete joke

• Sad Sad x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frank Finch

Frank Finch
    TNGTC | Finch Sim Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +155
    Feature:
    Q: 11th
    R: 11th

I kinda like this track, but somehow I am so ridiculously slow around it. So these results didn't came as a surprise. I had a nice battle with @Lance Loomis defending my position, which I won... until I noticed I was on Sprint Race fuel, so I had to refuel during my pit stop. Bye bye P10. Couldn't catch Lance after my stop and had a lonely and boring second stint.

Sprint:
    Q: 7th
    R: 7th

Got P7 in quali with a slow time, even for my standards, but didn't bother to try to get a better one. Had a good start and gained a few places in the first corner. Had a bit of fun trying to defend my position, which of course failed. Had a clash with Adam when we were side by side trying to get through T3. Got passed by everyone by lap 5 and was about to give up, when carnage happened in front of me. Now I was back in 8th and could finish the race in that position. Then @Night4001 spun in T3 and gave me P7.

So I still managed to score some points on a night where I expected to score none. The Scavenger strikes once again!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Lance Loomis

Lance Loomis
    Wooden Spoon Racing #93 Mercedes SLS GT3 Premium

Ratings:
    +457
    R1 - Ok qualifying... bad launch so last exiting turn 1. Had issues getting by Frank in the early going... his dirty air caused me to spin in sector 3 and I got a little damage. Managed to get the under cut on him and finished in points.

R2 - Made some setup changes which improved the car... lots of contact in the mid pack. Matt and Ben got together as I had no where to go... got massive aero damage. Managed to nurse the car home in 6th

• Like Like x 4
  11. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,903
    FEATURE
    Q: 5th
    R: 5th

Great qualifying lap

Race was up to 4th had contact at turn 1 with Liam looks strange on the replay so not sure who was at fault probably nobody. We basically spun at went down to 9th ish. Start coming back through first Jaime m8 around the outside of the last corner of sector 2 beautiful move then caught benji m8 and pulled the same trick around the outside but this time we did this for 4 corners as ever massive respect between us no contact hard racing. Last to catch was Jeremy he was driving well at this point but caught him and after a few laps past him again around the outside. Pitted shortly after this to cover Liam who's time I had been watching. Did that and started to catch the Matt adam battle fairly well until a couple messy laps ruined my charge. Caught Matt on the last lap because I'm guessing he was low on fuel.

Usual could have been race probably a podium gone begging again. Pace is there again so that is positive.

SPRINT

Q: 9th
    R: 9th

Good start was being cautious in the first laps as everyone seemed to be driving with their brains out. Started to make progress passed frank then lance with slight contact but no problem from my side. This contact allowed Matt to catch us he passed lance then did a switchback on me which got him to my rear bumper and then he for some reason kept moving right I was up against the barrier so couldn't go any further right. He spun me I bounced off the wall into lance (sorry) regained my car only to be taken out again at the final corner this time involving my teammate! Races are ruined with crap driving like this I mean some drivers aren't happy unless they are nudging people around the track it's thick!! People like adam Gaz Liam lance benji they wait for a pass they make you make mistake even figure out where you are weak then try a move. To many desperate people in this league. Your all good drivers fast I mean so why is this happening constantly! Think about it!

Anyway pitted set good lap times had another stop glitch which let Adam passed but he let me back passed bless him more out of shock that I stopped in the road lol

Gutted another big points haul wasted

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +348
    Feature
    Q4 R6

P4 in Q was about the max i expected, dont go well here. Race, well i never get luck here. Turn 1 i was behind ben, then all of a sudden im in the back of him, and were in a wall. We tried to come back through, passed Benji for P8, including him slammimg me in a wall. Pitted early due to damage, was p6 after the stops, and just decided to cruise home and set up for a strong sprint result.

Sprint
    Q1 R1

I am the Arsenal of this league, i do things far more difficult than they need to be. Benjis straight line speed got him ahead, and was desperate to get by, the pace was 1s off what i could do, and that got worse when Oz got into P3, i knew i had to get by. Got my 1 chance into the chicane, and had to take it, braked as late as i dare, a good 20-30m past my quali point, Benji had to go off track so i took the lead, then it was a case of build a gap incase Oz got by.

So happy to have another win, Only my 8th, with so little wins, they're all special! Hope it's not the last one this season.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ozwheels

ozwheels

Ratings:
    +35
    Feature
    Q: 1
    R: 1

I need to work on my one lap pace. I expected a close race based on qualifying but it wasn't so. It looked like there was a good battle for 2nd from my track map. I was quite surprised at the end when I saw I had the fastest lap by half a second.

Sprint
    Q: DNQ
    R: 2

Wow that was a lot of fun. Charged up through the pack being opportunistic. Caught up to Benji and Liam just as Liam got by then shadowed Benji for the rest of the race until the last lap where he went wide on the Loop and I snuck bye. I'm not a fan at all of taking ABS away from the GT3 cars either. This causes silly crashes in braking zones since the M3 can brake so much later as it doesn't use ABS in real life. Obviously the rest of the GT3 cars are going to be off pace at most tracks since they can't have ABS. What else causes silly crashes in people making multiple moves going down the straight when defending. Pick a line and stick to it. If you're going to defend the inside then go to the inside not the middle of the track. I've had way too many close encounters with people going to the middle and then pushing me off track as I go to their inside when there is plenty of room for me on the inside. You can't just push people off track when you mess up. If you don't want people going up your inside then put your car there, not in the middle. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  14. Ben Milden

Ben Milden
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,903

15. Adam Morris

Adam Morris
    (TNGTC) #64 M3 GT3 - Bangers And Smash GT

Ratings:
    +570
    Team Changes
    . After looking into the teams threw S4 And S5 I've noticed that more frequently drivers Arnt working with their team mates like we should instead choosing to work with competitors against your team, I cant force drivers to work together but what's the point in us having team mates if we don't work together I've mentioned this before but as I've said I cant force you. anyway with that being said in the interest of fairness I will be making a slight change to a couple teams and it is as follows, of course if any of the drivers below disagree with this please let me know.

. @Jamief430 will join @Ben McCluskey at newly named M8888 Racing - Jamie #81 / Benji #82

. @SkaankyPuppy will join Forces with @ozwheels to become M&S Racing (This isn't just any racing team, this is the M&S Racing Team) Feel free to change team names if you wish :).

. @Lance Loomis will now be a reserve driver, he will attend all events he can and will still race under Wooden Spoon Racing when attending with @Jonathan Seekings staying in the team

. @Gareth Williams the points scored by Jamie at Watkins Glen are to be added to his new teams total from this race onwards.

. Both Drivers will keep their drivers standings points but the teams points will not be transferred over.

Thanks All see you at Rainy Spa

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Ben McCluskey

Ben McCluskey

Ratings:
    +171
    JAMIE M88888888888 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:cool::confused::roflmao::thumbsup::whistling::sneaky::)
    YESSS M888

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  17. Jamief430

Jamief430

Ratings:
    +42
    Well what a mix around. Thankyou @SkaankyPuppy we had a good team their. (Well you alone).

However I'm looking forward to the new changes and myself and benji will be working closely and helping each other move through the field. I'd like to think we are some of the best defencive drivers on the grid so we will be helping the driver ahead as best as possible. Good luck matt and seeks tho. :geek:

• Like Like x 3
  18. ozwheels

ozwheels

Ratings:
    +35
    @Adam Morris I'd like to be on Skaanky's team seeing as he is the one who got me to join in the first place and we're friends. Unlesss he doesn't want to be my teammate of course.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Gareth Williams

Gareth Williams

Ratings:
    +184
    Q 3rd
    Not a bad lap, last lap before end was the pole lap but bottled last two corners pushing harder than needed really, 3rd it was in the end

R 2nd

Got a decent start, stayed p3 into t1, fantastic... now I'll enjoy my next 7 laps looking at matts rear wing running a second off, adam stayed close behind are you surprised?

I boxed lap 7 to try and have a change of scenery looking forward, nice swift stop from my mandems put me back out on track in no time, just ahead of lance which was key,

On that outlap, I then decided to check the app on fuel use and laps remaining to find out I was probs about 5 litres or so short on what had worked out,
    Had to keep some pace up to make sure came out ahead of Matt, I did... fist pump the air at exit of t1,
    Now I could control my pace perfectly as adam now had to look at back of matts car, hehe enjoy

Edged away from Matt even with saving, then eventually adam got by with a few laps remaining, I then did two push laps once saw to make sure wasn't going to close to quickly, mad that I actually set my fastest lap on like lap 19 or something silly like that,

Managed to bring it home p2, 0.9 litres left over the line, brap!

Sprint race,
    Q no time as adam said I couldn't go out,

R p4
    Hectic race, people darting left right and centre for places, some people try to much to keep a place and ends up costing them selves more time,
    Luckily enough I managed to get into p4 and keep it with a crippled car, cheers Jamie lol, trying to do hand brake turns out of corners, I tried to straighten you up after your little spin

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  20. LIAMATTHURSO

LIAMATTHURSO

Ratings:
    +348

This is one of the funniest race reports i've ever read :roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1