1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
RD MINI Challenge - Round 4 Silverstone (Live)

S4 | Post Race Press Conferences

Discussion in 'TNGTC GT3 - GT3 Pro' started by LIAMATTHURSO, Nov 18, 2016.

who should be interviewed after races?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2016.
  1. Just feature race top 3

50.0%
  2. Feature + Sprint top 3

50.0%
  1. Here is where the top 3 from the feature race (Subject to change) will be interviewed about how their races went.

Above is a poll i request everyone answers, as it will decide who gets interviewed after races.

2. So here we are with race winner, Gaz. So you started the season in the way you spent most of last season, this must surely be your ideal start?

Fantastic way to start for sure, wasn't happy with the car in practice as just couldn't drive it consistently from lap to lap, But come race day it was like a switch was flipped and it all fell into place, hope i can continue on to the next event,

Last season you won the championship with 9 wins, Do you think you can top that in an even shorter calendar?

One can hope that could better that, but could be quite hard with how many people it looks like could actually win a race this season, just going to have to be in the right place at the right time,

Next up is Snetterton, a track new to TNGTC, I know you personally were a fan of it being on the calendar, are you expecting more of the same again?

Yeah i was indeed a fan of adding something new like this track, but funny enough i haven't even turned a wheel on it in a gt car, but its got some good flowing corners so hopefully can get up on podium again

So here is P2 finisher, Nic. So nic, you've been talking up your C7.Rs hunt for the M3, you didn't quite get them all, but is P2 an achievement or an annoyance, being 1 place from top?

P2 has certainly been an achievement, I believe that I've maximized the car's potential at Brands and I qualified where I could, so to gain 3 places was quite the achievement. I will struggle with the car in places but will also be competitive in a few, goal #1 achieved.

There was alot of chaos at T2 in the sprint, what was your view of it?

T2 in the sprint was rather chaotic. I believe that I suffered the most from it as I had a pretty good start and may have been able to podium. It is what it is and that's racing, all in the fun for an exciting sprint concept.

The C7.R is a relatively unknown car in TNGTC, Making a cameo appearance in half of S2 in the hands of your team mate, have you worked out its strengths and weaknesses yet?

The C7.R is quite an acquired taste. It has hidden strengths and transparent weaknesses that you have to maximize and limit by flogging. I'd admit, I was discouraged pre-season with its pace compared to the bmw's but I was committed to my challenge and my team mate representing the American team in an American car so I went all in. It will get harder but so far so good. I hope to make this unknown car a known one on the top step of S4. It'll be hard work but I'm pumped!

So here we are with P3 finisher Adam, so first off. You got a solid first race, claiming 15 points, but that sprint must be a let down?

Yeah, I was happy I managed to finish on the podium for the 1st race always helps the confidence going forward had a great battle with Dominic and Omari was just a shame to lose 2nd due to a spin in turn 2. The Sprint race was Alot closer between drivers than I thought it would be and starting at the back it was a task to try and make ground, Slight contact with Andrew cost me towards the end but I'm happy with the Results strong finish for the team by myself and Omari taking his 1st win of the season

After this 1st round, is the grid much different in terms of who's where much different than what you expected?

The Grid Has Improved Alot since last season which I Exspected, all the new drivers Frank, Matt, Jeremy and Ramzi all have show potential they will make great drivers In this league. Gaz has made a great start to his championship Defemce just as fast as ever, Andrew has found his form again and is looking strong and Everyone else on the grid has improved its way to close :) This will be the most competitive season we've had yet in my opinion and I look forward to it.

And finally, with snetterton coming up, a track new to TNGTC, Do you feel it being a level field in terms of knowledge help or hinder you?

I'm not very familiar with Snetterton 300 I've seen races there but I've only done around 5-6 laps testing in the M3, from what I've seen of the track it looks like it should suit my care quite nicely felt well balanced but the gearbox needed work hopefully this new circuit will make for a great race with how close the Grid Is just mind out for those kurbs ;).

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  3. SNETTERTON CONFERENCE

Gaz' Questions

First up we have race winner gaz, 2 from 2, have these rounds been perfect?

Well near enough perfect start one could say, bit of a shame that both sprint races haven't got slightly higher up but still, it's a long season so still long way to go yet.

You underfueled for the race, and fuel saved, if you had dropped down off the grid, how would this have affected your attempts to get the win?

Well I now have underfueled a few times on purpose, I seem to have good fuel saving driving naturally while still maintaining the speed, was like nearly 1.5 laps short at start, but yeah risky as had Adam closer than I thought so had to push for one lap and save like next two luckily got away with it,

How did you find the track seen as it was a new one?

Good track, nice flowing, kerbs bit of a killer especially the sausage ones but didn't really make any errors with kerb usage so can't complain too much

Adam's Questioms

Next up is P2 finisher Adam, so Adam, you started the race P3 behind the Spam Fritters drivers, what was your expectations from that point?

My qualifying wasn't bad messed up slightly in sector 2 which cost me a front row start :(. My main goal was to win but Starting 3rd i planned to get the best start I could and hold onto gaz as much as possible, Liams poor start did help but I was passed by Nic into Turn 2 so was stuck in a battle untill he spun in the final corner.

Backmarkers played a big part in the middle of the race, how do you think they had an overall effect on your race?

I Wasnt To Effected by the lap runners during the race , but I would say that some of the places drivers choose to let us threw where abit dangerous but other than that not to bad a job.

You had a late charge at Gaz, did you have any chance to take the win, or was the nature of this track too difficult to make passing him possible?

I do feel I had the pace to challenge gaz here we where evenly matched threw out the whole week of testing and due to my mistake in Qualifying I was only 2 tenths of Liam and Gaz, but with battling with nic cost me to much time. In the end I went all out to Catch him but we kept matching eachother lap for lap I didn't have enough time to Catch him but theres many more races to come ;)

Liam's Questions

We Are Now Joined By 3rd Place Finisher Liam, So How Do You Feel Your Feature Race At Snetterton Went Compared To Brands Hatch Where You Only Managed 1 Point Out Of The 2 Races, Do You Feel You Could Of Achieved More?

Yeah I definitely did far better than Brands, where i had wheel issues. As for could I have achieved more, hindsight is beautiful, obviously starting P2 and being P4 by turn 1, did not help my case. I was keeping with Adam, who challenged Gaz late on, so who knows if anything could have developed.

The Blue Flags And Passing Lapped Cars Seemed To Be The Talking Point After This Event, Can You Elaborate For Us The Issues You Had With This?

Yeah I had a few issues, first i spun cause i was actually having to race Ramzi to lap him, had to brake pretty late, off line, and there was a big bump that kicked the car up, plus the extra speed from braking late caused a half spin which let Omari by. 2nd incident i had is where i got behind Ramzi on my outlap, trying to bolt it to make up places, and i caught him on the Bentley straight, and didn't get by until T2, Which by my sector times lost me about 4s, and when i saw i was only about 4.8 Behind Adam, i was obviously annoyed.

Q3. That's A Double Podium For You At Snetterton With A 3rd In The Feature And A Strong Drive From The Back To Fight Through To 2nd In The Sprint, Describe The Challenge Of Fighting Through The Pack In The Sprint And Overall how Do You Feel You Performed This Weekend?

This weekend I feel I did, i've only won 6 races in 2 seasons, but i feel like i've now found a style of just picking up consistent points. As for the sprint, my drive probably sounds more impressive than it was, 12th to 2nd. I was helped by Frank and Omari rubbing, Nic and Ben going off. But still I did do some nice overtakes, including a overtake around the outside of T1, and around the outside of Oggies on Benji. Just a shame Matt had already bolted!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Silverstone Conference

Gaz's Questions

Here we are, with race winner, surprise surprise, Gaz, so thats 3 out of 3 now, but tracks that might not favour the M3's are up soon, do you feel you've done enough to build the necessary gap?

Yay go me, in reality no, I need to keep pushing and get as much points as I can from each event to stay on top as it can quite easy change

Throughout the race you were finding grip that others couldn't what do you feel this was down to?

I have no idea to be honest, car just seemed hooked up for pretty much the whole race which obviously made me able to control the race

Finally, Spam Fritters Racing got it's 1st 1-2 of the season, and with other competitors getting low points, that must be the perfect outcome for the team?

Oh yeah first one two goes to us, it feels sweet to be first ones to do it, yeah 1-2s are what you want from every week but doesn't happen that often

Liam's Questions

Here we are with the p2 finisher Liam,

Guess you gotta be happy with P2 considering the position you was in after the first lap? And how challenging was it getting back up to that p2 spot

Yeah, to get P2 out of being P9 by sector 2, and having a fair bit of damage for the first stint is pretty solid. Getting back through the pack wasn't as interesting as a P9-P2 drive sounds. I only passed Ben & Jeremy on track, everyone else was in the pits.

Would you say that p2 in the standings where you expected to be after these first 3 races considering a few others haven't scored really from silverstone

Yeah i would hope, others didn't score here, but i scored 0 in brandd hatch, if i'd scored there, i would've hoped to be P2 anyway.

Looking on to the next race, it looks like it could be a tough race for the m3 guys, where do you think you can come? Best of the rest perhaps? Or are you gonna show how op this m3 is and win anyway

Well Bathurst last season i didn't do very well, but this season i feel i'm driving in the way i finished last season, so i would hope to try and maximise my chances, be best of the rest, of course though if the chance comes up to move up, i will go tooth and nail for it.

Benji's Questions

And finally 3rd Place finisher, Benji, so your first podium finish of the season, how does that feel?

Well I certainly wasn't expecting that hehe. Going into this race I was expecting to get low points, maybe not even finishing in the points, so getting a podium was a nice surprise. Race started good and I realised I had decent pace for mid points, but even with the retirements of drivers helping me out. I didn't think I could do it because of tyre wear and having to pit more times than anyone else.

You talked alot about tyre wear prior to the race, how much of a hinderence did it turn out to be?

It didn't cost me as much as I thought. Due to me not putting fuel in at the start I had really good pace in the 2nd stint, making lots of ground on the drivers around me. The tyres at the start struggle and I could only do 12 laps. So I was surprised when my 2nd set went more than double the length, and would've actually went even more if I hadn't spun and had a lag glitch with Jermey's car.

Finally, you put no fuel in your 1st stop, forcing you to pit in the rain again, do you think this hurt you?

Not really, I had to pit during the rain anyway for tyres. In the end it would've only gained me a few seconds or so, which wouldn't have changed my result in the end. Im just glad I got a podium. I doubt I would do anything different if Possible.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Bathurst Questions

Andrews Questions
    So first up we have the winner Andrew, so this is the first win of the season, how important was it to maximise the SLS' ability here?

It's always important to get the most from the car, especially in an event we know it should be strong at. With the M3 being so competitive at almost every circuit, the Merc drivers need to grab an opportunity to take points away at the slightest chance!

You fought early on with Ben, how was that battling round here, with it being so hard to overtake around here?

To be fair it wasn't much of a titanic battle between champions. I had one run at Ben within the first couple of laps and made a mess of it and had to back out. Then when I got up the inside of him into the final turn he didn't fight me, so it was a fairly straight forward pass and fight.

Finally, a 1-3 for the team, is that satisfying or annoying that it was so near a 1-2?

It's always frustrating when you're so close to a 1-2 finish and miss, but I did all I could do and so did Benji. When there's nothing more you could've done it doesn't hurt as bad as if you'd made a mistake and threw it way.

Old Mans Questions
    Next up is 2nd place finisher Ben, you lead early on and said you let Andrew go to try and pull you along, do you feel if you didn't do that you could have gone 1 better?

Hi, Difficult to no Andrew was a few tenths quicker so the faster man won. I'm always confident I can defend my position so maybe it was a bad call on my part but either way I'm chuffed with p2

While it was a strong result, that must have been more of a precession than a race?

I enjoyed every minute of it and whilst it looked boring maybe to onlookers for me I was always watching the gap to Andrew and then Benji so plenty going on from my side

This was your first race this season in the SLS this season, and it dominated, but do youfeel over a season it can fight the M3's?

BWOAH probably not but if you don't try then you never no right? The M3 is mighty and I don't get people moaning about it because you have to rise to the challenge. The bar is set high but not worryingly high GAME ON

Benji Questions

Rounding out the SLS league podium, is Benji, so that's 2 podiums in 2 races, that must be good?

Yes, I'm very happy with my results. I believe this is the best result I've got in a feature and sprint race together.

The SLS' were in a division of their own today, but was there any thoughts today that the M3's may still be a nuisance?

Going into the race I knew the M3 had good race pace. My my aim was to overtake on straights and maybe get an unlikely podium. Even during the race, Gaz kept the gap to 3 seconds throughout the first stint, so I was always pushing expecting a M3 to come and battle my Merc. So when the 3 mercs pulled a gap, I was truly surprised to be honest.

The double podium for you and your teammate must be a boost in terms of hopes for the constructors?

Yes, it has really helped. Going into this race we were already second in the constructors somehow. So to get a 1-3 & 2-3 has definitely helped our hopes of taking the lead in both championships. The rest of the season will certainly be hard. Some tracks will suit the Mercedes and some will suit the BMW. It Will be a challenge, but me and Andrew are Willing to fight. Hopefully it will be a intriguing battle for our 4 race fans out there

• Like Like x 2
  6. Monaco Questions

Gaz's Questions
    So again as expected, we have race winner gaz, how good was it to win here after the frustration of season 1?

Good to win it, is such a tough track to make no errors from lap to lap, felt like I had it the first time after Adam had his internet issues and put me in prime spot to win it but wasn't to be,

With such a lead, at most tracks you'd be able to relax, but monaco is unique, did you let off at any point?

Can't relax just yet as it still a lot of races to go and anything can happen, to be honest I only felt pressured for the first 3-4 laps, after that I didn't even have to give it to much and was still pulling away from bunch behind

Zhuhai follows here, a track where the SLS' dominated in S2, do you feel the M3 can be closer this time around?

I haven't a clue to be honest, if it's dry I reckon a sls will win, if it's wet I reckon the likes of the m3 will be right there to spoil there fun

Andrew's Questions

2nd step on the podium is Andrew, you initially qualified 3rd, but got a better get away than Liam who was slow away, did you feel you had it in you to hold P2?

Of course. It's a street circuit, I had the widest car, and I consider myself as a good defensive driver. The main thing was making sure no one undercut me.

You had a moment up at Massenet, riding the outside wall, what happened there?

Simply just got caught out looking at JSM who'd come out of the pits, missed my braking point by 5m and locked the fronts.

There was a lot of worry pre-race about this tracks ability to host a GT race, do you feel those fears were justified, or was it not as bad?

Better than expected but still a bit of a silly idea. I notice that there have been a lot of tracks which promote overtaking removed from the calendar for this year, don't know why but I feel that it's bad for the racing.

Dominic's Questions

Rounding out the podium is Dominic, is 3rd about what you expected from this race?

3rd is a good result for the corvette in this strong field but had I driven my best, we would have a pole position and a win . So I've let the car down at this round.

The corvette seems very mixed, with a podium in the opening round, and then only returning to it here, what is it, are you letting the car down, is it letting you down, or a bit of both?

Tbh, a bit of both, the car has been quite competitive, and without the spin at snetterton and disconnect at silverstone, the car would have had 4 podiums in 5 races but it's quite a big challenge.

Do you feel there is more to learn about the Corvette, or are you at the limit of setup knowledge?

The car is certainly at its limit and is always a podium contender, but the goal is always to win and to achieve that is very difficult against the likes of Gaz who's driving really well and has a very strong back up in Liam. The field has gotten more competitive as well with car changes so it's going to be more of a challenge. A front row in qually can produce a win, but all the stars need lining up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zhuhai Questions

Andrews
    Questions

So with his 2nd feature win this season, we have Andrew, you've racked up a lot of points recently, but with Zhuhai and Bathurst now gone, now tracks where the playing field could be more even, are you confident of keeping this going?

I'm never confident that I can win the race until I get within reaching distance in the race itself, but it would be safe to assume that at Road America, we can challenge the M3s.

You and Nic raced away at the front, and he had a spin late on lapping indrek, do you feel that was the key moment in the race?

Yes definitely, I'd already messed up my equal chance at the win twice. But it just needed one problem for Nic and I was back in the lead.

How happy were you that the race remained dry throughout?

I'd've been comfortable in the wet, but I think it was to the car's advantage for the dry.

Benji's Questions

2nd place, and making an Infinite Racing 1-2, is Benji. Its been a good start to the season for you hasn't it?

Apart from Brands, yes it has. Can't believe at the amount of podiums I've gotten this Season already, although I still haven't won a race haha. Hopefully that will be done soon.... Very soon maybe 

You had a bit of a train going on for most the race, was it the SLS' Power that would you keep you safe enough into the zones where the M3 could attack?

Yeah it probably was. I would always pull a gap down the pit straight and though sector 1, but as soon as we hit the braking zone for turn 7 I believe, the gap was gone. I'm surprised Gaz didn't try any drasticmeasures in the closing laps to get by. Being stuck behind someone for like 20 laps would really frustrate me, just shows howcomposed he has.

What was it like getting a 1-2 and breaking the Spam Fritters run of being the last team to do it, and 6 times

6 times wow. It's not the first time me and Andrew have gotten a 1-2, but it's the first as a team. It was very special, felt nearly the exact same as when I won there last season. Anyway one team needs to put up a fight for spam haha, looks like it might be us.

Gaz's Questions

So here in 3rd we have Gaz, Before the race, would you have taken that, and how do you feel about it now?

Yeahh I probs would of taken 3rd seeing that it was a dry race, for some reason I can never seem to extract all the time out the car round here in the dry, if it was wet I felt I had good chance at the win again.

You spent a lot of time behind Benji, unable to pass, was this down to the SLS' power being able to keep it safe into braking zones?

In places yes it was down to the sls just edging enough away so couldn't quite get up inside to make a move, but where I felt I did have a chance the few times I didn't risk it as Adam was like couple tenths behind all the time, so I didn't want to risk going deep or making an error and then loosing that place

If you had gotten by him, do you feel the win was achievable?

Erm hard to say as the car leading was also an sls, only takes one error though and you will pass them though

• Like Like x 1
  8. Road America Questions

Omari: (P1)

Taking the feature race win around Road America is Omari, you started P2, Taking the lead into T1, Which potentially saved you from the chaos behind, do you feel that was crucial?

100%. Avoiding the chaos at turn one was crucial. it allowed me to get away and concentrate on my race.

Matt followed you home for P2, did he make you work for it, or did you have that little bit up your sleeve to keep him at arms length?

For the first 5-6 laps matt kept me very honest and couldnt really pull away. But after that i thought i had him at arms length and didnt really need to push to hard

That's your first feature win of the season, will this be the springboard to make results like this more frequent this season?

One can only hope so. But with the field being so competitive its going to be hard work to repeat this on a frequent basis

Matt: (P2)

2nd place at Road America we have Matt, P2 must be a great result, was Omari an achieveable target or was P2 probably your limit?

I was really happy with the result and was able to keep 2nd without any significant issues. I think Omari was a bridge too far, I could not keep his pace on my own, so once I made a mistake and dropped out of the slipstream I could not stay close. Omari had a tenth or two in race pace so I could not catch.

Your pace this season has been impressive, justified by a race win, what's changed since the end of last season?

Time with the car. I had not driven the M3 much prior to this and so I think am getting a little more to grips with it nuances and basic setups. I feel I am still a way off setups, but am trying to get there! I was gutted I had a terrible start in Monaco, as I think that was the one that got away too. I have had some questionable performances, especially in the random weather races, where I have failed to score on a few occasions. I need to up my game in the changeable conditions, as it is letting me down I think.

Spain is up next, a love or hate track for many, do you like it, and do you think it could provide good racing?

Spain's Catalunya is a track I have never clicked with. Certainly am struggling in the M3, at least against Gaz and Adam, but I still have some time to make setup changes to find a few more tenths. It could provide good racing, certainly some overtaking opportunities into the big braking zones, I just need to keep it off the kerbs and be smooth. We will see, but not a great fan to be honest.

Andrew: (P3)

Rounding off the podium is Andrew, when you lined up on the grid, seeing M3's ahead, did you feel a podium was achievable?

Nope, with my pace I didn't think I'd get into the top 5 in the race.

The podiums are starting to come thick and fast for you now, was it just a matter of time or have the stars just seemed to have aligned for you?

Was just a matter of time, but the tracks coming up don't suit me or the car, so it seems that my run of podiums will end.

Chaos in turn 1 affected 4 cars races, was staying out of it all the key part to taking P3?

Of course. If I'd've got damage that'd have been my race finished.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spain Questions

Nic: (P1)
    Taking the win in Spain is Nic, the M3 was always gonna be hard to beat, how was lining up on the 2nd row compared to your expectations?

Indeed, the M3 was quite the arduous opponent and totally anticipated as I knew what its capabilities were at this circuit. 2nd row on the grid from qually was a great performance for me.

You led from lights to flag, but you were pushed all the way to the end, what was that like?

It was the type of pressure that pure racing drivers relish and truly the essence of Gt3 racing. I had to set the Aston Martin with significant aerodynamic grip to compensate for the strength that the M3 was going to have in it's cornering speed while still being able to harbor enough straight line speed to prevent the slip stream advantage ... It was the best balance the car would offer but then required some dynamic driving on my end as I had to respond to Liam's consistency and quick laps and cool down my tyre temps at the right times while making no mistakes. It was pure class racing and I enjoyed the $hit out of that battle.

The race was arguably won off the line, and the Aston Martin isn't known as a fast starting car, was this a one in a million start, or have you found a trick?

I'm happy to have had the car surprise me and win off the line as a win was much needed but it's definitely a start sequence that I cant emulate easily so definitely needs to be practiced. Had I had the average start, I think the race would have been a diffierent dynamic but possibly easier as I believe I could have matched the M3 in race pace and be able to take advantage of slip stream when I needed it. Definitely one of the times I'm happy to be in an Aston lol.

Liam: (P2)

So second place Liam here,

Two feature poles in a row, first time you have done this, you seen to have a thing for pulling your pb out in qualifying at recent races, why do you think this is?

Yeah, it's obviously the best time to do your PB's but i guess maybe i'm just the type of person who takes pressure and uses it well.

Following on from the two poles, you didn't manage to convert these into race wins, disappointed? Considering that you have effectively lost out one 50 points if you had won both?

Obviously from pole you want to win, but races like RA, yes, you're disapointed, especially when it's taken away from you via someone else's error, but Spain i drove amazing, did 23 laps of qualifying pace, only 1 minor error, but on the day it just wasn't enough, when you do a perfect job and don't win, you just have to accept someone else did a slightly better job.

Next race is the ring, how much practice have you put in, and do you feel you can get up on the podium for this race?

Practice, not much (Yet) but i will definitely do some, and for the podium, of course that's the aim, me and Gaz had a huge advantage last season but 100% we won't this season. so a podium is gonna be a fight but it's the aim

Gaz: (P3)

3rd onto the podium is Gaz, obviously you would like to finish higher, but is it good in regards to you beat the people you need to?

Yeahh felt a bit robbed due to having brake issues due to small ducts, the pace on first few laps of each stint at start and after pit stop was matching two up front so was happy in that sense, missed opportunity perhaps,

But yeah beating the people directly below me in table is what I needed and got.

Apart from that first lap, the race must have been very un-eventful, did you try to keep concentration by getting fastest lap or anything?

Yeah managed to keep concentration I thought, couldn't really get a fastest lap due to not being able to stop most the time but actually wasn't to far off i don't think In the end

your constructors chances will have been helped, the teams first double podium since silverstone, and another P2 in the sprint, that's surely another bonus?

Yeahh seems like a long time since both cars got on the podium, and was much needed, the signs at road America was there again and this week we got it, hopefully we can do similar next race at the ring