• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

S2 R4: Russian GP, Shanghai (23-04-2017, 20:15 C.E.T. )

Discussion in 'PC | F1 2016 DNA Racing League' started by Pretend3r A, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Yes

76.5%
  2. No

11.8%
  3. Maybe

11.8%
  1. Pretend3r A

Pretend3r A

Ratings:
    +67
    [​IMG]
    Round 04: Russian GP

Date 23rd of April 2017

Time
    20:15 C.E.T.

Race Results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Wouter Exel

Wouter Exel

Ratings:
    +134
    I am out for this race and maybe the next aswell. ive broken some bones in my hand so i cannot use it very well.. gl hf out there

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  3. Mark Saunders

Mark Saunders

Ratings:
    +224
    That sucks dude, sorry to hear it. Hope it heals quickly but more importantly, heals well! I do look forward to racing you again soon.

Quali: P4
    Didn't do a great lap but this is Russia. Every time I sat down to practice I got so bored of the track I ended up stopping very quickly afterwards - P4 was a pleasant surprise and good for a wet start. 4th track in a row I've used the same setup now... I think other than Monaco/Monza/Singapore, I might end up just sticking with this to the end of the season as there's more pace in confidence than there is in a different setup at this point.

Race: P2
    Wet start! I got a better start than all those in front of me but got boxed by Pretender to my left and Robin in front so I had to back out quite substantially. I have no idea what happened at the first corner but it was very messy. Ewok got up my inside with Robin just in front but both appeared to just go straight on; I expected them to rejoin quite far in front so was very surprised to see them drop behind the top 5... no idea what happened but I hope neither of your races were ruined from T1. I nearly got past Pretender at that point but instead got a knock from somewhere but I don't know where, even looking at the footage. Ended up coming out of there in P4.

For the entire first stint in the rain I felt like I had a lot more pace but was boxed behind. Lap 2 in the final sector I attempted to close into Avallac just in front but saw what looked like a lag bubble hit... no contact but his car moved forward then back. I was then aware of potential lag so had to back off and just try to... save fuel maybe? instead of causing a lag related incident. As with China, I figured a single car duel would be okay but with three fighting in front, it's just not worth the risk of ruining someone else's night as well as my own.

Toward the end of lap 7, Henri, Avallac and Pretender all started to fight very closely directly in front of me so I closed up and Henri ended up coming off the worst, dropping back behind me as there was possible contact at that point.

End of lap 8, top 4 all pitted and returned in the same order. Turn 1, pretender went deep so I tried to follow around the outside of Turn 3 and overtake into T4. It very nearly worked but it resulted in me spinning and needing to reverse (spoke to him afterwards, racing incident). That dropped me back to P5 behind DPool who hadn't pitted at this point and 2.5 seconds in front of Turtle.

By the time I cleared DPool on L10, there was an 8.7 second gap in front I tried to close down with Turtle keeping almost the exact same pace throughout.

L26 and the gap had closed to 3.6s in front and 0.8s behind but I could see they were battling in front so crossed my fingers that we could both close in. Turtle got a great run on me on the outside of T3 and aaaalmost got through but I found out after the race he didn't want to risk something silly as he had penalties anyway. That did drop us back a bit but it was fun :)

With one lap to go I thought Turtle had to pace to pass me which would have left me 5th. As it turned out, Turtle didn't threaten again, Henri half spun midway through the final lap and Pretender had 9 seconds of penalties so I somehow got 2nd, 11.3 seconds off of Avallac at the end.

Again, I feel like I had more pace which I couldn't unleash at the correct times, part due to bad qualifying and part due to lag concerns which I think were unfounded. To be quite honest, I'm just glad Sochi is over with. It's a boring track with boring tyre wear and really frustrating corners which I think contributed to the mass penalties everyone had. I was concerned before the race I'd just end up crashing through lost concentration and mind numbing boredom but at least it rained at the start! Stupid track done, now onto some better ones.

Grats to Avallac. I don't think anyone had the pace to keep up with you today. It's easy to say I was slowed down in the first stint but then you were battling hard for all of it too so a very nice victory. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. [DNA] Rico Nosberg

[DNA] Rico Nosberg
    Premium

Ratings:
    +55

I had a good race, went in the pit 1 lap to early and maybe should have taken supersoft tyres. Jose is to fast for me anyway, so i had a great fight with [DNA]Bananaman,

Good racing @Bananaman im glad to see you back.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Avallac'h

Avallac'h

Ratings:
    +31

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pretend3r A

Pretend3r A

Ratings:
    +67

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mark Saunders

Mark Saunders

Ratings:
    +224
    Couple more things to note.

Pretender collision:
    I looked back at the footage today of when I had a collision with Pretender and I think it was more my fault from my perspective. Funnily enough it doesn't even register as a collision on Pretenders footage which makes me wonder if another lag bubble occurred.

The issue I think with this setup is that it requires a lot more trail braking in certain corners which is pushing the car sideways. In my footage, it looks like I'm not going to be making the corner keeping on my half of the track. Even though the collision happened before I hit 50% across the track, I was still unstable at the point of the collision so lesson learnt... I should have teased you off line and tried to attack into the next corner. Then again, on my screen I had my front tyres alongside your side pod but on yours I was miles back so I'm not sure that would have helped.

Avallac lag bubble:
    Connection issue which meant I backed off for 4 laps until it was fixed. Looking at Avallacs footage coming toward the final sector on lap 2, my car disappeared off the road then reappeared. DPool, did this have an effect on you behind? It looks like more of a gap suddenly opened up at that time so apologies if it did. I think the cars around me acted normally on my screen and then jumped when the spike stopped which just so happened to be when I came across Avallac... it was a small jump but happened at exactly the right time for it to confuse me!

On the plus side, our connection looks to be fixed finally so hopefully I'll be able to actually fight earlier on in races... will test more during the week to confirm.

8. Bananaman

Bananaman
    DNA Racing

Ratings:
    +32
    Here's my POV. Incredibly erratic and tail happy. Considering I had only done a few laps before the Race, wasn't too displeased.

• Love Love x 1
  9. [DNA] Rico Nosberg

[DNA] Rico Nosberg
    Premium

Ratings:
    +55
    Great to see this side of the race :)

10. robinf1

robinf1

Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry guys, my wheel broke and I got a stuck gas pedal. I will try to fix it. If i cant fix it, I'll step out of the league :(

• Sad Sad x 2
  11. Mark Saunders

Mark Saunders

Ratings:
    +224
    You were offline on Steam but as I suggested, if it's a G27 let Shabballa know, he's gone through fixing a sticking accelerator before... pretty sure he had the steering wheel go out of alignment every race at one point too and managed to get that up and running... I hope it all works out for you.

Highlights... not the best of videos:

12. robinf1

robinf1

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for your tip. But I'm driving with a thrustmaster wheel. I already fixed my pedal. Tonight I'll try to fix my wheel

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mark Saunders

Mark Saunders

Ratings:
    +224
    Awesome news, best of luck buddy. :)

• Like Like x 1