S18 - General Discussion

David Turnbull

PrestoGP Veteran
Lets start the discussion on what will be happening in Season 18 :)

Will we change mod or stick with what we've got?

Will we alter the 2 race format or are we happy to stay with it?

Will any of the rules and regulations change going forward?

lets be hearing your views :)

The more I drive the car the more I like it. So I'd like to stick with it. :D

The feature races are the most interesting ones for me, so the important race format thing for me is that we maintain a long race somewhere. Whether that's in a feature race or one single race per round, I don't mind. I'll be happy either way. :)

We've also already made it clear to everyone that we will give penalties to people who've earned them and to keep the racing fair. That's not a change, just a reminder to everyone that that process exists now. (Though I am loving the fact that we aren't using it! :D)

One of our main priorities is recruitment, we need new faces in and faces who will stay the course of a full season (or as many races as possible). Last season got fairly dissappointing towards the end with a very low turn out, hopefully this wont happen again as it gets demoralising for the organisers and racers to practise and turn up each week to have a very low grid.

Anything we can do to bring in new blood will help, maybe it means we need to change the car we use or the tracks, or our rules need to change or..... whatever we can come up with will help.

Our core group of 10-14 regular drivers I hope come back next season and their dedication to Presto is what we want from everyone so lets each of us try to attract new drivers and help them bed in as well as possible, its the Presto spirit that we want for everyone who joins :)

The more I drive the car the more I like it. So I'd like to stick with it. :D

The feature races are the most interesting ones for me, so the important race format thing for me is that we maintain a long race somewhere. Whether that's in a feature race or one single race per round, I don't mind. I'll be happy either way. :)

We've also already made it clear to everyone that we will give penalties to people who've earned them and to keep the racing fair. That's not a change, just a reminder to everyone that that process exists now. (Though I am loving the fact that we aren't using it! :D)

I agree with all of that :)

I would also prefer to stick with Renault 3.5 but as I understand from discussion on the server at the last race of s17 there may be one or two who fancy a change to something faster (and I'm never against something being faster :D )

The race format is also something that I'd like to keep but only if the majority do too. It was first devised because I hate seeing people who practise for a few weeks to turn up and have their evening ruined either by incident or a crash within a few laps, my plan was at least it gives them 2 opportunities and being honest I think it's worked out fairly well so far but I'm always open to change. One thing that 1 race that is much longer might promote is more practise and less risk taking in the first lap or two, we all want to finish any race we start :)

Also the penalties I agree, its great that they havent needed to be used but they are there for if and when we need them to be applied, everyone needs to remember that you will get a penalty if the incident is bad enough and the race stewards deem a penalty needed in any given situation, this is also why incident reports are needed as we wont be looking through everyones replay to find anything that needs a penalty applied, we will only act on reported incidents.

I would have liked F1 92:rolleyes:, a wonderful sound a great feeling of steering but I think there were problems with this mod on the server, there are also F1 75 and 79 but they are fun if you use the manual clutch, basically there is little to choose. Unless we want to go to the karts and they are fun too:D
However the important thing is to be able to put together a few people to have fun on the track, it was to connect me to Peter's post

I too really enjoyed the F1 1992 mod, the sounds and feel were very good, but another thing we need to ask is will the content we use be updated for DX11 as quite a lot of people will now be using that and eventually we will all be using it so it needs be something that will be updated regular and I've no clue if the 1992 mod has been or will be updated, something to look into :)

I actually tried the F1 '92 mod again recently and hated it. I could not get it balanced in any nice way, because no matter what I did it was overwhelmingly front-limited. Everything I did to try and fix that just made it undriveable. :( Didn't feel good at all. I have no idea what I was doing differently the last time we used it either.

maybe just you were more used to it back then when we used it every week, could be that youve had too much tin top action in the meantime :p did you use a setup from back then?

My preference would still be to use the R3.5 next season but what about we give the Fisi a try out in a fun race? Afterall PrestoGP was always based around F1 style racing and if we could go back to that speed and have good numbers then I'd be all for that.

I did, I used one of my own setups. But I also forgot I've done a lot of work on my own driving just after we dropped the '92 cars, which several people (including our own @Kyran Parkin) has helped me with in that time. So I guess that explains that. :p

I'm all for giving the FISI a go. I haven't given that car a proper try in years.

Last edited:
Personally I am open for a new car. I don't necessary have to go with a faster car as for me it makes it easier to fight for positions.
As already mentioned, DX11 content is the way to go.

Also I noticed that the Formula Renault 3,5 seems to be a fairly unpopular car in simracing.

we are in season-holiday so a bit of free time me for not to lose the habit:rolleyes: in random mode i tried a bit of cars and tracks in DX11 seems much better now, clear you miss the trackmap, but if we want switch to DX11 we can without too much trouble.

I've never raced in this league but since i'm looking for one, i'd like to tell my opinion. In my experience, formula 3 gives the best racing from a driver and spectator point of view, possibly with 2 races with inverted grid (or something similar). Formula 2 and 3.5 are also quite good, altough because of the huge aerodynamic, it's harder to have close racing in circuits with a lot of fast corners. I love fast cars so, in a way, i prefer these to the formula 3, but the truth is that a slower formula car becomes extremely exciting in a league environment. Also, if you are looking for more people for the league, i'd stay away from cars with manual gearbox and focus on those with a sequential. Not everyone has a manual gearbox and it would discourage sign ups.

Hi Matteo :)

Our format at the moment is 2 races, race 1 is 20 mins and is a sprint race where everyone should be able to manage it with no pit stop, race 2 is a longer race of 50 mins and we like to make it that everyone needs to pit at least once, we do this by having tyre wear at 2x.

As regards to the speeds of the cars, Presto was always based on F1 style racing, we originally used F3000 in Race07, then moved to MMG F1 mod which we used for 7 seasons and Reik Major dominated during this spell, he was our Schumacher :), we had a short spell back with F3000 before we eventually moved onto Rfactor 2, since weve been with RF2 we have used R3.5 then ASR F1 1992 mod, now we are back at R3.5. We are contemplating moving onto something even faster with Formula ISI which would return us to full F1 speeds so I think going backwards to slower cars isnt an option for us right now and we will always be openwheeler so sequential gearboxes are a must for us :)

Hi Matteo :)

Our format at the moment is 2 races, race 1 is 20 mins and is a sprint race where everyone should be able to manage it with no pit stop, race 2 is a longer race of 50 mins and we like to make it that everyone needs to pit at least once, we do this by having tyre wear at 2x.

As regards to the speeds of the cars, Presto was always based on F1 style racing, we originally used F3000 in Race07, then moved to MMG F1 mod which we used for 7 seasons and Reik Major dominated during this spell, he was our Schumacher :), we had a short spell back with F3000 before we eventually moved onto Rfactor 2, since weve been with RF2 we have used R3.5 then ASR F1 1992 mod, now we are back at R3.5. We are contemplating moving onto something even faster with Formula ISI which would return us to full F1 speeds so I think going backwards to slower cars isnt an option for us right now and we will always be openwheeler so sequential gearboxes are a must for us :)
Well in that case i think it's pretty much the same for me.

Thanks Artyom :)

I dont know about the FSR mod, Id have rathered it be in game content so as to make us available to the masses. The FSR mod wont be as widely used so may limit us in terms of numbers and limit the server usage.

I'm happy to have fun races with both though and then see what the thoughts are afterwards :)

I'll set up a couple of fun races very soon and we can test them.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back