S16 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
there maybe a chance that the broadcast won't happen this week either....once again no replies....Jonas is back....but only for this week that i need someone to fill in for me cos I don't want Jonas to be alone in the booth

along the holidays some thought cross my mind
summer thoughts:D
summer thought.JPG

I can't join the server, just keep getting "server connection failed". I can join other servers without any problem. Tried to delete the vmod and let the server install it again but no luck. Anyone else? I see 11 guys in there after all.. Hope it works tomorrow.

Ah, shame :( we were probably in Q or race session. When that happens, check http://prestogp.liveracers.com/ to see if that's the case.

Aha, okay :thumbsup: Has this something to do with the server settings or is it a known problem, because I usually don't have a problem joining a server during quali/race session?

C u tomorrow guys. I haven't done any serious practice yet but I will make sure to do a couple of laps tomorrow.

Aha, okay :thumbsup: Has this something to do with the server settings or is it a known problem, because I usually don't have a problem joining a server during quali/race session?

I think it's because the Q and R sessions are set to be closed on both practice and race server. Thats just what I have assumed all the time tho :)

hi, hey and grüßgott presto people :)
long time no see.

after the official announcement today that rfactor is finally going to get dx11 and vr support (hopefully rather soon) due to the partnership from isi and luminis i just wanted to stop by to let you know that i still plan to come back to this awesome community as soon as i am able to use my vr headset with rfactor2.

i still visit this forum from time to time to stalk you guys and see whats going on around here :)

i am really looking forward to join you people back on track and can already see the fast guys like @David Turnbull and co in my rearviewmirrors (... on the verge of lapping me ...)

for those who missed the announcement (which i doubt since it is big on the frontpage of racedepartment):
https://www.luminis.eu/blog/rfactor-2-gets-boost-isi-announce-partnership-luminis/
https://www.studio-397.com/
https://twitter.com/twhtly/status/776776381367672833

greetings
julius

Hey Julius, It is indeed good news for rFactor2 and all of us who use it. I hope we may gain some members back once this big change has happened, I'm thinking about yourself, @Nicolai Nicholson @Tim McIver who I know are enjoying their racing with VR.

For me personally VR isnt on my radar atm, it's way out of my price range but who knows what the future holds and if it comes down and becomes the must have for sim racing then I'll no doubt jump on the bandwaggon :)

@April Dillon I think its Oculus DK2 or CV1 Julius uses.

yeah @David Turnbull, its quite expensive and there is still some major headroom for improvement in nearly all aspects. but some years down the road and i predict htat the vast majority of simracers switches to vr. will take some time though (no chance for me to go back to monitors though, even with this "low" resoltuion headsets we have today)

@April Dillon, i had the dk2 and now i am driving with the cv1.

I hear you, I still have my DK2 and had to make the painful switch back to bleak, miserable normal reality and a non-3D monitor! :p I'd happily give up 2560x1080 for 960x1080 per eye if rF2 let me.

It's unsurprising not all of us could come back, honestly. And I may not have even bothered if I was into iRacing. (My rF2 has looked like competitive Quake ever since I switched back to ease that process) But with the news about VR coming to rF2 (in Q1 '17 according to this interview... Up to you if you trust their time estimates!), I'm already trying to gather information on what's out there so I know whether I'd be best off buying a Vive or a CV1 for myself when it's finally time. :) So if you can share any CV1 specific experiences you've had, I'd appreciate it! :)

@April Dillon ah i see. i sold the dk2 back at the end of 2015 when i thought the cv1 was right around the corner. at that point they went for quite some money and i actually made 40 euros plus after 1.5 years of constant use with it. it was pretty rocked since i used it at least 3 or 4 times a week. i would not have had the money for the cv1 without selling the dk2. i was personally convinced that it wouldnt take more then 1 or 2 months until cv1. in the end it was more then 6 months without any virtual reality headset and therefore with almost any kind of simracing. i actually gave it a try a few times for about 20 minutes but switched everything off until my cv1 arrived after that. its ridicolously hard to get back to a monitor when you are using a vr headset for over a year exclusively. even with the low res, you get used to the lowres but you get also used to the spatial awareness, the sense of scale and the detph perception. i simply could not make out my breaking points anymore and i had major problems to keep it on the road. i was so freaking bad it was a joke really. back when i first got my dk2 i still know how i struggled to get used to it (especially due to the low resolution), but it is way harder the other way around. its possible and i think i would have no problem if i really had tried, but the enjoyment on a monitor is gone for me so i couldnt motivate myself to do so.

i now have my cv1 since may so already quite a few months. nearly everything about it is better then the dk2. keep in mind that i hadnt used any vr headset for half a year when i received my cv1 so its not a direct comparison to the dk2. but it goes with how i remember it. resolution is upgraded, its a good jump in comparision and especially the reduced screen door effects helps in selling the increase in resolution(but there is still massive headroom for improvement). the inbuilt headphones are quite nice (although they are not as great as some people make them out to be - they are missing some bass for me but i got used to them and they are so convinient that i use them all the time). fov feels the same but is hard to judge over such a long time. just as resolution i think the fov is still one of the aspects that needs improvement.
the thing that improved the most that gets overlooked so many times is the comfort. compared to the dk2 this thing is basically like a baseballcap and that is so so nice. the dk2 constantly reminded me that i wear this bulky thing on my head and i had to constantly readjust some thing because it was itching, the cv1 lets me almost forget that the thing is even there. its such a big difference and its what stands out for me the most. cant be overstated really how helpful a comfortable headset really is.
another thing that improved big time is the sweet spot. nearly everything in your fov is in focus. thats something that stood out immediatly for me. the downside of that is that they achieved that with fresnel lenses and those introduce some artifacts that look like smudges on your lenses in high contrast scenes. i rarely see them but when they are there, they stand out. but for me its a good tradeoff compared to the dk2.

other then that its still more or less the same experience. a little bit more polished, everytrhing a more readable, corners a little bit easier to make out, screen door effect way easier to overlook and its more convienient to wear it for 45minutes or longer without taking it off(which is vital for serious racing). so basically the same experience only better. :)

of all the things in simracing that benefit from vr i think wheel to wheel racing is the one aspects that benefits the most(at least for me). i am now at over 170 official races in iracing with vr and i feel so confident next to other drivers for the simple fact that i always "feel" and know where everything really is in relation to me. everything is in lifelike size and i am sitting "in" my car. i am so confident in car positioning that i can drive next to other people without clenching the bhole constantly. i think slower cars benefit more from vr in its current generation since the low resolution doesnt hinder in the same way as with a formula 1 car for example where everything just breezes by.

the future is so freaking bright for all of us simracers. simracers who havent tried vr yet are in for a ****ing treat when they finally get to try it. even more so when they wait a few years more and chime in in 1 or 2 generations. i more so convinced then ever that simracing and vr are tailormade for each other. its the next logical step and people who doubt vr will be convinced at some point in the future when the tech is more mature.

ugh, what a wall off text...
tldr; simracing in vr is awesome, the cv1 is more awesome then the dk2, cant go back to a monitor ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back