Petrov.
Chandhok.
Senna.
Buemi.
Piquet Jr.
Speed.
Kovalainen.
Liuzzi.

Answer the question now. I will counter and say competition gets better for every year.

Hulkenberg I will agree with you. He is a good, natural talent.

Petrov...Would we really call him a good driver? Or did he arrive in F1 due to having Russian money? Where has it got him?

Chandhok... Unconvincing in GP2. Only in F1 because Force India expressed a bit of interest in him because of his family's relationship with Vijay Mallya. If he was any good, he'd still have a seat or reserve drive somewhere.

Senna is OK, he's in F1 mainly because of the name and sponsorship money that he brings though.

Buemi... Yes he's a fairly good driver, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a Red Bull test driver.

Piquet Jr... I kind of agree. I feel sorry for him that no F1 team will touch him now due to 'crashgate'.

Speed left GP2 at the end of 2006, so is irreleant to my point. (Plus he was dropped years ago)

Kovalainen... Left GP2 after 2005, so is irrelevant to my point.

Liuzzi was never in GP2. Has been dropped by every team he's ever raced for.

Hulkenberg I will agree with you. He is a good, natural talent.

Petrov...Would we really call him a good driver? Or did he arrive in F1 due to having Russian money? Where has it got him?

Chandhok... Unconvincing in GP2. Only in F1 because Force India expressed a bit of interest in him because of his family's relationship with Vijay Mallya. If he was any good, he'd still have a seat or reserve drive somewhere.

Senna is OK, he's in F1 mainly because of the name and sponsorship money that he brings though.

Buemi... Yes he's a fairly good driver, but I don't think he'll ever be more than a Red Bull test driver.

Piquet Jr... I kind of agree. I feel sorry for him that no F1 team will touch him now due to 'crashgate'.

Speed left GP2 at the end of 2006, so is irreleant to my point. (Plus he was dropped years ago)

Kovalainen... Left GP2 after 2005, so is irrelevant to my point.

Liuzzi was never in GP2. Has been dropped by every team he's ever raced for.

You make your own assesment on what is a significant impact since moving up to F1.
What is the criteria? it´s a pretty broad statement.

And i´d like to know why GP2 isn´t as good today as it was when Hamilton drove :)

This whole discussion is based on opinion is it not?
I'm not saying either of us are right or wrong. This is just how I view it.

I'm basing it on their results since they've been in F1 and who still has a seat in F1.

I just think that the standard of GP2 drivers has dropped since 2007/2008, with the odd exception.
Purely my opinion.

A reminder of the original post, this is the discussion we have drifted from...
Barrichello has a point, but i still think he won't accept being part of a lower down the "GRID" team, so it's unlikely these days he will get a position with the midfield team considering the talent and pay drivers.

Rubens Barrichello still holds hope of competing in his 20th season, and believes there is no reason why he cannot make a comeback after a one or two year absence.

The Brazilian was dropped by Williams in favour of Bruno Senna for the 2012 season, leaving F1's most experienced driver without a seat.

Despite his age, 39, Barrichello believes a comeback isn't impossible given his experience, and highlighted Michael Schumacher, 43, and Kimi Raikkonen, 32, as examples.

"No," he replied when asked if his F1 career was over. "Today F1 is a more open place. A massive opportunity could arise, the dream of competing in my 20th season in F1 is still very much alive," he told Livio Oricchio.

"You never know. Sometimes things change, with my speed and experience, I could be called upon. Kimi Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher have returned, there is no reason why I could not as well."
Barrichello also revealed that team co-owner Frank Williams called him to confirm the bad news that he woudn't be at Williams in '12.

"Frank Williams personally called me," he said. "He began by saying that he didn't have good news and explained that they had decided to sign another driver.

"It's public knowledge that Williams now has difficulties with the budget, has lost some of its main sponsors, and was forced to choose a contract that could collaborate more with their needs.

"It's understandable. The decision was solely financial, no doubt, no demerit to anyone. Let's see how they will now develop the car with these difficulties."

source

Sorry James.

I think Rubens seemed happy with his Indy test this week. Would be good to see him keep racing. I just don't think it'll be in F1 again.

I like Rubens, he seems like a good guy and enthusiastic. I just don't think he has the speed he use to. Reaction times drop as you get older, its ture... hell I know it first hand and I am in my early 30's. F1 is a young mans game and given a dominate car that can be a bit more of a grey area, be we aren't in the time of Fangio, the elders taking the lead just isn't going to happen no matter what car you put them in.

10317592_811351192210316_88193205623053471_o.jpg

Happy Birthday to Rubens!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back