Rubens Barrichello

Hopefully we will see even more of him in simracing :)

Really fantastic to see this, more and more people are starting to find out about simracing. There are alot of F1 drivers that run simrace and i think when each and every one of them reitires, simracing would be the natural step for them.

I think in iRacing there are several hundred real racers, from oval to F1 drivers.

I really like Rubens, always was one of my favourite drivers. He has a good heart, isn't arrogant like many. I've watched his career since his first year in F1 and I would love to see him for one last season, specially with Williams that is my team. Is not viable now, but he had a career that deserved one F1 title (Schumacher I hate you!).

Barrichello has a point, but i still think he won't accept being part of a lower down the "GRID" team, so it's unlikely these days he will get a position with the midfield team considering the talent and pay drivers.

Rubens Barrichello still holds hope of competing in his 20th season, and believes there is no reason why he cannot make a comeback after a one or two year absence.

The Brazilian was dropped by Williams in favour of Bruno Senna for the 2012 season, leaving F1's most experienced driver without a seat.

Despite his age, 39, Barrichello believes a comeback isn't impossible given his experience, and highlighted Michael Schumacher, 43, and Kimi Raikkonen, 32, as examples.

"No," he replied when asked if his F1 career was over. "Today F1 is a more open place. A massive opportunity could arise, the dream of competing in my 20th season in F1 is still very much alive," he told Livio Oricchio.

"You never know. Sometimes things change, with my speed and experience, I could be called upon. Kimi Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher have returned, there is no reason why I could not as well."
Barrichello also revealed that team co-owner Frank Williams called him to confirm the bad news that he woudn't be at Williams in '12.

"Frank Williams personally called me," he said. "He began by saying that he didn't have good news and explained that they had decided to sign another driver.

"It's public knowledge that Williams now has difficulties with the budget, has lost some of its main sponsors, and was forced to choose a contract that could collaborate more with their needs.

"It's understandable. The decision was solely financial, no doubt, no demerit to anyone. Let's see how they will now develop the car with these difficulties."

source

The difference between Schumacher/Raikkonen and Rubens however, is that the first two are better drivers and world champions.
If Rubens isn't as fast as them now, he never will be so why would anyone want him?

Not wanting to offend anyone - but I really don't understand what all the fuss is about when it comes to Barrichello. To me, he's always been one of the more unimpressive and boring drivers and I am kind of surprised why he, of all people, made it 19 seasons. Sure, he's become kind of a fixture in F1, but I still won't shed a tear to see him leave. He's had his time and more than enough chances. Schumacher and Raikkonen coming back are completely different matters. Raikkonen probably still has some untapped potential and definitely one or two WDCs in him, provided he gets the car for it. And Schumacher has more than earned his right to drive in F1 until he's 90.

Barrichello was a big talent in his Jordan days. A great driver in the Stewart days, struggled a bit in 2000 and 01, after 02 he never was the same. He was a real asset to Honda, important to Brawn, and good in the 2010 Williams. Looked like he lost some motivation this year. But he made those 19 seasons by being a very good driver.
Most drivers in top teams can go to a mid-team when they don't get a contract in that top team anymore (or don't want it). Pretty much like Alesi, Irvine, Coulthard and so on. He got a bit lucky in 2009, but still, no big surprise that he lasted at least 19 seasons. And I won't be surprised if he returns.

The problem is, being GP2 champion doesn't mean a lot any more. The standard isn't as good as it was before 2010.

Rubens should be miles quicker than Maldonaldo, but he's not.

Oh it does..

You had guys like Perez, Van der Garde, Bianchi, Pic, Grosjean, Bird, Dambrosio etc all of them are either in F1 or have test roles or any form of connection with F1.
They were the best open wheeler drivers that wasn´t in F1. They are all very good drivers.

Yes GP2 drivers make it in to F1, but that doesn't mean they're good enough to stay there.

Perez, Bianchi and Grosjean will stick around and be successful.
The rest (D'Ambrosio in particular) I don't see getting very far.

The F1 teams need reserve drivers and drivers with money, if these GP2 drivers are the only options, then the F1 teams don't have a choice. It doesn't necessarily mean that the drivers can cut it at the highest level.

Yes GP2 drivers make it in to F1, but that doesn't mean they're good enough to stay there.

Perez, Bianchi and Grosjean will stick around and be successful.
The rest (D'Ambrosio in particular) I don't see getting very far.

The F1 teams need reserve drivers and drivers with money, if these GP2 drivers are the only options, then the F1 teams don't have a choice. It doesn't necessarily mean that the drivers can cut it at the highest level.
*dodges everything like the matrix*

Please come up with a valid argument as to why the level of standard in GP2 wasn´t as good in 2010 as it was a few years back.
Funny you mention three guys that you know will be succesful yet i would be my house Grosjean would be out of that equation had you not known he was coming back in F1 for another try,

Besides Lewis Hamilton, name 3 GP2 drivers that have made a significant impact since moving up to F1.
I'm struggling to name 2.
The only one I can think of is Glock, arguably Perez as well (subject to opinion).

Looks like Barrichello is going to have no seat this year, as the only seat left is for HRT, but they stated they want a young driver as they already have Pedro De La Rosa. Of course he still could race for them if HRT finds no one else. Next season there may be some seats open; Caterham (if Trulli quits), Marussia (they boot out their rookies on a yearly basis), or even back to Williams if they're dissastisfied with Senna or Maldonado. Personally I think it should have been a Senna/Barrichello line up there.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back