Round Five - Montreal Ace Race Review

6gfsiq.jpg

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve welcomed the Fifth round of the FSR Ace championship. A dramatic Q2 session saw several drivers made a mistake at last corner, famous because of the world champions wall. After conquering pole position, Rens Klop started the race pulling by away from Michi Hoyer and the rest of the field. From an unconventional Fourth place on the grid Daniel Kiss tried to gain places and began to attack Marek Godek.
5vofom.jpg

Ninth lap, first twists; Hoyer flew on curbs of the last chicane and touched the internal wall, losing his front wing and compromising a good placing. Godek and Kiss stepped up on podium but they hadn't an easy race; the GhostSpeed driver touched a wall damaging his suspension. He passed from the battle for win to Twelfth, then he retired because the car was undriveable. After his pitstop, Kiss overtook Gobbi at last corner; contact was made and the Italian spun, but race director Blair Disley laid fault with Gobbi.
29xztjc.jpg

Most of the drivers were on a 3 stop strategy, but not Mike Partington.
nzlfer.jpg

His Eventa team mate Hodas took the last podium spot from him just a few laps before the checkered flag dueto of fresher tires.
2zf7j84.jpg

On the final stages Hoyer retired because of a crash and Masciulli made the move of the race on Prieto for the Sixth place. Great come backs by Francesconi and Heesterbeek; they started from back of the grid and Sixteenth respectively, finishing in top ten. Montreal saw another Twister Racing domination, with Klop-Kiss one-two, but let us give credit even to Eventa because of its Third, Fourth and Fifth places.
2hzqu6p.jpg

20 drivers started this race, 14 finished it.
1) Rens Klop (NED)
Twister Racing Team
1h13m43.231

2) Daniel Kiss (HUN)
Twister Racing Team
+3.578

3) Martin Hodás (SKV)
Lovell-Eventa Simracing
+17.957

4) Mike Partington (ENG)
Lovell-Eventa Simracing
+20.050

5) Eros Masciulli (ITA)
Eventa by Pescara SHS Ace
+29.401

6) Guillermo Prieto (SPA)
Faster Than Speed Ace
+30.846

7) Ruud Heesterbeek (NED)
GS Engineering
+32.793

8) Michael Francesconi (ITA)
Eventa by Pescara SHS Ace
+44.285

9) Pashalis Gergis (GRI)
Avid Chronic Racing - Blue Team
+58.367

10) Alessio Campus (ITA)
TrinesNX Exclusive
+1m05.635

11) Giuseppe Ragusa (ITA)
BBR Life4Racing
1 lap down

12) Argenis Riera (VEN)
Comunidad JDT Team
1 lap down

13) Michi Hoyer (GER)
Avid Chronic Racing Team
2 laps down

14) George Chatzipantelis (GRI)
GS Engineering
2 laps down

Race standings: http://gpcos.formula-simracing.net/results.php?eventid=749&leagueid=5&menu=season&menuoption=2
Championship standings: http://gpcos.formula-simracing.net/league.php?leagueid=5&type=introduction&menu=season

Press conference

Mike Partington (Lovell-Eventa Simracing)

Welcome Mike. Strong result from you and Eventa. You were very close to be on podium. Considering your strategy could you push the entire race or did you manage tires in some stints? Are you happy about your performance?
- Hey, and thanks. I was originally planning on doing a 3 stop but I had a poor qualifying session and was being held up al ot at the start which also meant I was unable to get my tyres to a good temp and even went of track several times. By lap 9 I noticed I still had 82% left in the tyres so decided to switch to 2 stop. After my first stop I still came out in traffic and so was unable to push again but tyre life was never in doubt and could have gone another 5-6 laps. Once I realized Martin was faster after he switched to the quicker compound I let him go once he reached DRS and cruised to the end for a really good team result. I am really disappointed with my qualifying performances but the races are starting to come together now after a difficult start to the season.
szcxub.jpg

Eros Masciulli (Eventa by Pescara SHS Ace)
Welcome Eros. Good race from you and Eventa. You started Ninth and finished Fifth after some battles. Can you describe us your overtake on Prieto in penultimate lap? It didn't look easy, especially because of the nature of last corner.
- Yeah it was a nice race if we don't consider qualify and start. Anyway it was a great fun with great speed from me and my team. In the end of the race I managed to pass Ruud and that was hard too for his top speed and I started to catch Prieto. I think it was a great move to watch. I have seen it on broadcast after the race, it was not easy and I had to brake so late on the outside line, it worked fine also cause Prieto was really fair. For a nice battle you need always class and respect from both drivers involved.
27x0xfl.jpg

Guillermo Prieto (Faster Than Speed Ace)
Welcome Guillermo. You fought for pole position in Q3, but it didn't go as you had hoped. Your race can be different starting in an advanced position. What do you think about it?
- Yes, i think I'm improving a lot lately, but I have plenty of work to do when it comes to Q2 laps. The pressure is very high but it's a thing I'm working on. I definitely think my races can be for the podium if I manage to get in the top 5. The level is so high in Ace, but i think I'm ready to take the challenge and I won't be afraid to fight against the big names here because i have nothing to loose besides SR points :D
xaz9g0.jpg

Full broadcast (more interviews from 1:57:07)
Next Ace round will be at Red Bull Ring on 13th June
33wb3pe.jpg

Alessio Campus, David O'Reilly and Pashalis Gergis (FSR Media Group)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 266 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 175 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 177 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 131 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 235 13.6%