Rotating camera

Hi I've always thought that it would be a good idea to have a camera that turns with the difference in slip angle front to rear compared to a theoretically neutral rotation for your current steering angle. In this way I think it would be easier to gauge steering corrections and see through the turn because the camera would turn with the steering angle but rotate based on the difference in front and rear slip. Apparently Iracing had a feature like this 'hidden' in the game that could be turned on or off. Honestly I've no idea why every game doesn't use it?! Link to iracing with it on vs off:
I know with VR the next big thing perhaps it would be less useful as it would be likely to give you motion sickness, but with a static screen it seems like a good idea to me.

Totally agree! In other games it's called "look to apex" or "lookahead", and "yaw", and it makes the driving experience more natural. When taking a corner in real life no-one looks just as if he was suffering from a stiff neck :). You always look where you're going, and that is to the apex.

I used to play Shift 2 Unleashed, which had a "look to apex" camera view. It was WAAAAYY too distracting and overall annoying to use in serious racing. After all, it's not you that controls the movement.
That's why I'm waiting for a final version of Oculus Rift.

Whenever I used 'in car' view I ran my head-tracker I made years ago. (Freetrack) That's the only way I can run that view as it lets me look where I like.

Unfortunately, I had issues with the software recently causing AC to crash so I have had to remove it and, until such time as I determine what the issue is/was, I am driving with the hood cam so I can see where I'm going without pillars getting in the way.

If I had three screens set up I wouldn't need a head tracker, so that's a possibility too - in the future.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 111 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 210 14.3%