1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EU Rookies - Silhouettes @ Raceway Bridge - Sunday 28th February 2016

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Lars Hansen, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen
    RDs Ion-Engine....0-60 in six days. Staff Premium Member

Greetings gentlemen and welcome to what will hopefully be a regular feature in the R3E Club.
    A schedule hasn't been specified yet, but we're thinking along the lines of doing this once every 3-4 weeks.

We will be running 'training' races (for lack of a better phrase) under very relaxed conditions, to allow for a place where newcomers to sim-racing, no matter what their pace, can get used to running in a crowd.
    There will be absolutely no specific rules in these sessions, slow-down penalties will be off, as will damage.
    Nor will there be a qualifying session, so your starting position will be entirely random.
    The usual Club races are pretty relaxed, but these sessions will be entirely about getting people introduced to online racing. Whether or not you win isn't really the point of the exercise.
    Sessions will consist of 30 minutes practice, and a 10 minute race.
    This will be followed by another 30 minutes practice to talk through what we may or may not have learned, and another 10 minute race.
    The reason for keeping the races so short is that the race itself isn't all that important.
    It's getting people introduced to the online aspect that reigns supreme.
    Also, keeping the races short should avoid anyone panicking because they're getting lapped.

Furthermore, for those that want it, there'll be some driver-training, with ride-alongs through the track, and whatever coaching can be achieved through TeamSpeak.

So what will be covered?
    Well, that's actually up to those who sign up.
    As mentioned, there'll be a ride-along for those un-familiar with the track, and assuming I can find a volunteer, I'll try and demonstrate how to behave if you're getting lapped.
    And if the volunteer is very patient, I'll see if I can demonstrate what NOT to do.
    But aside from that, I'm open to any and all ideas as to what to cover.

This first session will be using the Silhouettes at RaceRoom Raceway Bridge, so it'll be entirely free content, in order to include as many as possible.
    Whether we change that down the road to e.g. a warm-up for the Club race, is again entirely up to you.
    This is after all YOUR club.

So what is expected of you in order to join?
    Not much, actually.
    Obviously you have to have R3E, but since the content we use is free, nothing further is needed.
    If all you want to do is practice running with others, you can use whatever Silhouette you want.
    However, if you intend to join the ride-along or otherwise want tips, I do ask that you run the Canhard R51 with the default set-up.
    In order for e.g. gear-suggestions to work, we need to be running the same vehicle.
    It also means that if someone is faster than you, you know it's because he's running better lines, and not because of some set-up magic.

Next, it doesn't matter how fast you are, but we do ask that you can control the car to such a degree that you can drive it without endangering others.

Finally, for these sessions alone TeamSpeak will be mandatory.
    There is simply no way this sort of thing can be done over text-chat.
    Obviously nobody is forcing you to say anything, but we are a very friendly bunch so do chime in.
    And please don't worry if English isn't your first language. It isn't mine either.

I would like to point out that this will be a learning experience for all involved, and that definitely includes me.
    So in order to keep the session from disintegrating into a complete shambles, participants will be limited to six people. I'll add another two on a reserve-list in case there are no-shows.

Finally, we will be giving away TWO free 1-month memberships, so even non-members can apply. All you have to do is sign-up, and show up.
    First come, first served; just please do make sure that you have TeamSpeak and know how to connect it.
    Server password will be distributed through PMs on race-day, just so nobody accidentally wanders in and thinks it's a race.

Racing Club Rules: click here

Server Name: RaceDepartment
    Track: Raceroom Raceway, Bridge lay-out

Session start: 1300GMT

Entry List
    1. Shedz
    2. Brian Greenwood
    3. RaceWasGood
    4. DrDetroit
    5. Ringo
    6. motoxy
    7. (Reserve) revoasd
    8. Reserve slot
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  2. shedz

Premium Member

I'll be there.
  3. Brian Greenwood

Brian Greenwood
    "Brian the Snail" Premium Member

Can you put me as a yes, unless we have new members who have more need than myself.
  4. RaceWasGood

Premium Member

Sounds like fun and i'd like to join in. As i'm new to teamspeak, i guess i need to get me a headset suitable for that? Also, is there some kind of guide here on the forum for setting up and using teamspeak in the club events? Thanks!
  5. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

You don't actually need a headset, you can get by with a desk-mic if you really have to.
    Though a head-set is easier and gives you a better sound-quality.

I'm not sure whether there's an RD guide to TeamSpeak.
    I'll ask around, and if there isn't, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to write a short intro to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DrDetroit

Premium Member

Put me down please. Looking forward to it!

Good day,
  7. Ryan

"Racing amuses me" - Enzo Ferrari

Lars I may be stealing this race format for the AC US Club :ninja: !
  8. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

@Ryan Feel free. :)
    Tell you what, if you have time why not join us?
    No problem adding you to the server, and I'm sure you have some ideas that I can learn from.
  9. Ryan

"Racing amuses me" - Enzo Ferrari

I'm ashamed to say I have never raced in R3E. It's off to steam I go! Time to broaden the horizon.
  10. Ringo

Premium Member

Iam up for it. New to sim racing in general
    • Like Like x 1
  11. kedy89

Premium Member

should be able to help out if required :thumbsup:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. motoxy

Premium Member

may i enroll please? please please please
    • Like Like x 1
  13. motoxy

Premium Member

I would just like to point out that the first please was for me. The others were from those that have to pass me:p
    • Haha Haha x 1
  14. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Much appreciated. :thumbsup:
    Right now we have Keith and myself as 'instructors' (well, sorta), so I think we have this Sunday covered. Having the one TS channel limits the number of people that can talk at the same time anyway. :D
    However, assuming it's successful enough to rate a repeat, I might lean on you in one of the following sessions, if you're OK with that?
    Cold be fun switching some of the regulars into this (or at least those interested).
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RaceWasGood

Premium Member

Got me a headset, wireless and all, so that's sorted :) Found this short guide regarding teamspeak, so i think i got that covered as well: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/teamspeak-3-setup-guide.11675/
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Excellent. :)
    If in doubt, you can always try connecting to the RD TeamSpeak server just to check if everything is working as it should. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. revoasd

Premium Member

Sign me up aswell! :)
  18. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

i want in, i want in!
  19. Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Somehow I doubt you need my help. :D