Rookie "Training" session.

D

David Hal

• David Hal

As a total noob in simracing,
i got my hands full with racing against AI at 90%.

But online gaming and/or racing is much more joy,
while your learning.

RaceDepartment organize a lot of online races,
in all formats.
But will those tournaments/races not being a to big step for a rookie,like me?
Being the idiot, driving to slow, and finish 5 minutes after the last one.
It's no fun for the experienced guys, and im not really learning something from it.

I've followed Tim Lings topic "Please help".
http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtr-evolution/7983-please-help.html

The main outcome is practise, practise and practise some more.

But if there was some Rookie "Training" session/server,
would there be interest in it.
"Rookies" racing against each other,learning from each other,
and evolve for the real deal, here at RaceDeparment.
This all, without slowing down the "pro" drivers.

1) Is it possible?

2) How many people (rookies) see the benefit of it?

3) If someone would host a "private" sessions only for the "rookies",
what kind of connection would he/she need, for a good session.
For example; I've got ADSL 8MB down, 1MB up. Would that be ok?

4) Is it worth to try, or is there some malfuntion inside my head?

5) Did i forget something?

But will those tournaments/races not being a to big step for a rookie,like me?

--> No, why? because it's all about having fun. And you DO learn alot.

Being the idiot, driving to slow, and finish 5 minutes after the last one.
It's no fun for the experienced guys, and im not really learning something from it.

--> What you will learn is to race against other human opponents. You will start to learn how they react and how to respect their lines. It doesn't matter if you are fast or not. You will start to get the hang of the "flow" of real online racing. And the speed will come to you after a couple of races. First time I joined an online tournament I had the same thoughts that you have. If you're going to get passed by faster driver just give him space, and if you accidentily push someone off the track, just slow down and give him back the position. I wasn't the fastest guy on the track on the tournament but I had a really blast duking it out with some other guys in the back of the pack. A good online race gives you an adrenaline kick that no offline session can give you. Don't be afraid to join the more experience guys, they have all been new too.

I've followed Tim Lings topic "Please help".
http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtr-evolution/7983-please-help.html

The main outcome is practise, practise and practise some more.

But if there was some Rookie "Training" session/server,
would there be interest in it.
"Rookies" racing against each other,learning from each other,
and evolve for the real deal, here at RaceDeparment.
This all, without slowing down the "pro" drivers.

---> You have some good ideas here.

1) Is it possible?

2) How many people (rookies) see the benefit of it?

3) If someone would host a "private" sessions only for the "rookies",
what kind of connection would he/she need, for a good session.
For example; I've got ADSL 8MB down, 1MB up. Would that be ok?

4) Is it worth to try, or is there some malfuntion inside my head?

5) Did i forget something?[/QUOTE]

I think we could perhaps try to get a load of people on the hotlap server on Thursday, some people can hotlap or some can try and train a few of you guys to get at least a tiny bit faster...

Would that help perhaps..?

that wouls help a lot, i'm in that kind of need too! when i play in a random server online, people are always driving like fools, and half the drivers leave before the end of the race, so it's not the best we can get...

I would be well up for that, it would also be good if a few more experienced drivers joined so we could judge our pace relative to the pros.

I don`t know the ins and outs but maybe a trial club league/championship?

I would be up for it as well.... but even among the noobs you will have a lot of different levels. A training session would need to be based on laps times for a specific track and car class....

RaceDepartment did at one time offer a development programe knows as the "Friendly Development" series. Im sure if things continue with new members a trial members number keep growing there may (only may) be a chance of this series being brought back.

Agreed, FD (for me) was a brilliant intro into the world of online racing, not only that but seasoned onliners were available to chat '1 on 1' via Teamspeak. Maybe if the TS utility was used more widely and seasoned onliners encouraged to join trial races - maybe a way forward.

Check out GTL events, if you have it, guarenteed friendly but competative racing.:thumb:

Simon.:)

This sounds like a good idea

As for the comment about racing online with us, to be honest i have not been racing that long and have a noticed a huge difference form when i started usually finishing near last to now being midfield in most races.

Yes there are a guys out there who kick my behind but i actually find that being lapped by one of the faster guys can do me a favour as it shows me which lines they take into corners etc and braking points.

Admittely i have just improved overtime due to practice but sure there is more i can improve so maybe something like this would be good for me aswell ?

like the topicstarter here, im in the same kinda positoin.
i,m a rookie too, in search for something more. ive been looking for a good forum and online servers for months. finaly registerd here..
im to hasetating to sign up for some races couse of my ( not so high ) experiance

i hope i can find some nice low level entry servers here to practice my online racing

hopefully see you online soon

Gonna need to ask Warren if FD will be coming back since hes the mastermind behind it all. :)

It is unlikely that the original FD Series will return.
The "friendly" part of that concept has now been incorporated into our normal Racing Club Events" and the "development" (training) concept is something we are currently discussing. We may start some special events / sessions devoted solely to training.

• Alberto L. Barcia

Hello all

After several days of reading forums this is my first post.

Like most of the mates above I'm a noobie and I still have no experience on online racing. The reason for that is I think i have not experience enough to compite in the same level that people who's been racing for a long time. I mean that I'm afraid of beeing a hindrance between the faster drivers.

This is the reason I think David's suggest is a great Idea and I'd like it to be real someday. However I think that driving technique can be observed in the fastest laps people upload to "time attack". I mean that you can study the way they take corners, the break points and this kind of stuff.

Something appart is setting up the car. I've download several guides and I'm still lost with some concepts about "feeling" the track and expressions like "the car is too nervous" and even the weight transfers. Theese things are difficult to feel even with a force feedback wheel. I agree that most of setup guides I know are very good explained and, like David, I know what settings affect what, but I miss that someone teach me how to translate this concepts to the practice.

To finish I must say that David's suggest is a very good idea but, although there are things that are difficult to learn without someone teaching you, we have tools to improve our driving technique by ourselves.

I´ll try to practice in public servers before joining and starting racing in your community

I appologise for my english. It's a language that I use very little times.

I´ll try to practice in public servers before joining and starting racing in your community

I appologise for my english. It's a language that I use very little times.

Nice first post Alberto.
Practicing on public servers is ok to get used to the basics of on-line racing, learning how everything works, basically.
However, be warned that you will find some bad behaviour on the public servers, wreckers, abusive behaviour, swearing, etc. You will find that Racing with a reputeable group, such as Racedepartment, is very different. In fact we will not tolerate that sort of behaviour here, so you will find the experience and ability to learn will be far better within our Racing Club.
Don't let the public server experiences deter you.

BTW, your English looks ok to me. :thumb:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing